997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Airbox Removal to Install BMC Filter - DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Airbox Removal to Install BMC Filter - DIY

Added the high flow BMC air filter to my Turbo S last week and thought I would share some of these pictures. Its a super easy swap and you can hear the turbos alot more. The throttle seems more responsive too. If you have any questions on the install post here or PM us. Here is more info on the BMC Filters too.

Remove the stock airbox cover. It simply pulls up and pops out.

There is your stock filter, YUCK!

Remove it!

Add the better flowing BMC Filter!

Drop in...

Tighten down.

Replace the cover!

YOUR DONE!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
I wish the WERKS air box was that easy. js

Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
clay5523 will become famous soon enoughclay5523 will become famous soon enough
Did you have to remove the bumper to lift out the airbox cover or did you just have it off for other work?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
It was off for exhaust work.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
Does this provide any additional power? Does vivid sell this piece?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor
Absolutely adds power and better filtration. For sale here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...che%20997.html

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
Pretty steep price considering it's just a filter replacement, but I guess it is quite large

Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
Thanks!
Pretty steep price considering it's just a filter replacement, but I guess it is quite large
It can be cleaned and reinstalled instead of buying OE filters. Upside is your can always have a clean air filter with just cleaning it. Performance gain is minimal and small.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM
DJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the rough
Used your directions tonight to replace the air filter with a BMC. Took me twenty minutes. That's it.

Again Thanks Dan, and the Softronic Tune was one of the best mods you had me do. Scott was fantastic. Never a CEL or error after two years. Drives like a champ.

Jay

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor
Thank you!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3 S3-R
It can be cleaned and reinstalled instead of buying OE filters. Upside is your can always have a clean air filter with just cleaning it. Performance gain is minimal and small.
What is most interesting about BMC pricing for these, is the GT3 Filter is 7" x 20.5" and is about $156 and the Turbo version is 7.36" x 24.84" and is about $220. So about 1/3 inch taller and 4 inches longer and costs an additional $64 (additional 41% of the cost of the GT3 filter)....Just an observation.

Also you can clean and re-oil, but have to be very careful not to over oil or your $600 MAF's are toasted

I had one of these on my car for a while and it just fell apart after a couple years...again just an observation...

Sound was pretty cool...but you have to consider with more flow, are more particles getting in the engine.

Always tough decisions Just food for thought.

DC

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
To be honest unless you are doing stage 2 exhaust upgrades, tunes , perhaps larger turbos, etc. increasing the air flow beyond what a stock OE filter can do is useless. Any power gains is in your head. In fact, what I noticed when I installed a oil based filter in my M3 was a decease in torque.

Unfortunately trying to increase a cars performance is like agreeing with your wife to Reno a bathroom. Before you know it, you've done half the house and spent 3 times the original budget.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Forujames
I wish the WERKS air box was that easy. js

+1

Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
Does this provide any additional power? Does vivid sell this piece?
Best Answer

Originally Posted by Jako
To be honest unless you are doing stage 2 exhaust upgrades, tunes , perhaps larger turbos, etc. increasing the air flow beyond what a stock OE filter can do is useless. Any power gains is in your head. In fact, what I noticed when I installed a oil based filter in my M3 was a decease in torque.

Unfortunately trying to increase a cars performance is like agreeing with your wife to Reno a bathroom. Before you know it, you've done half the house and spent 3 times the original budget.

Do you think a $250 air filter will give you some substantial power?

More air to the engine for sure... some people had problems with the MASS sensors... i had it in my car and it was ok... i never had any problems but don't expect any brutal change...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
great ptotos showing r/r process. Seen many references that oil on these air filters can get into the mass air sensor causing light. That could be the customer over oiling, but I wonder if from as is out of box if any danger of mass air sensor problems???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airbox Removal to Install BMC Filter - DIY