997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Choosing a TT - '09 or '10?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Choosing a TT - '09 or '10?

With the means and motivation to get back into a Porsche, I'm debating the best car to look for. Interested in some feedback. There are a lot of differences between the '09 and '10. Don't bother with the basics, but let me know anything more obscure that you can think of:
  • '09 - Improved over '07 and '08, with new head unit. Also the front wheel drive unit no longer intrudes into the bonnet space. I feel like this is the last of the pure breed with the Mezger engine. Now 3 years old, many good examples are available. Pricing looks to be low 90's for a CPO car.
  • '10 - New engine, LED tails among other things. Incredibly fast and with PDK one of the fastest cars to 60 mph. First chance to get PDK in a turbo. I really want a 6 spd, but in a '10 the PDK seems to be the best choice. Looks like cars are available +/- $110k. Fewer cars available. If you want a '10 GT3, you can pick from many, a turbo not so many.
An '11 GTS is also a really beautiful car and really a good value. I ask myself if I should find one of those instead. I think it is just not a turbo though and will probably not have the same kick in the pants and will probably not hold its value as well.

Anxious to hear what others think about the current choices. The dream has been to own a TT - not even sure what other cars might compare!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
A TT, a GT3 and a GTS are completely different cars. There is no relation between them apart from their code. Also there is no relation between a manual and a PDK too. It's apples to oranges to me... I am not sure if it's clear enough what you really want... If you want a really fast AND torquey car then a TT is one way. Which one should you choose (mk1 or 2) depends on whether you are into modifications or not. If you like tuning then mk1 is the way to go. If not then mk2 with PDK is REALLY fast. A GTS is just a carrera S to me... no match to the rest of the cars mentioned. A GT3 is more like a track focused rear wheel drive car that can be tiresome in long trips, but its higher revving mezger engine pays back providing a sportier feeling. They really are different as you see. so the first thing you should do is just to find out what you really want from the car...

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
09 TT with Mezger engine would be my choice. I wasn't aware they changed the AWD unit or the front end space in the 09 - where did you hear that?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
1. when i as looking a salesperson told me that the frunk spaces were equal.
2. the 10 TT has the DFI, revised sump, and fewer moving parts and weighs slightly less.

You already have an M3 w/ a awesome hi reving V8 (maybe the last of its kind?) but it lacks the grunt of a TT. Perhaps a TT would be a nice balance to round out your collection? As far as an 09 or 10, i dont think the price difference is worth it. But it seems like youre wanting a PDK so go for it.

BTW avoid the CL wheels. PITA!

Last edited by kosmo69; 09-21-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would go with the 09 also.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with TT Crab. The GT3, GTS and TT are way different.

Seems that your lean is towards a TT though.

Plan on how much you want to modify too. If you plan on only a a tune and exhaust, the new DFI with PDK is pretty damn fast. I'd assume that's really all the mods most people every really would consider....

If the future plan includes turbos AND you're inclined to the 6speed then go with the '09. I would have gotten an '09, had it not been for the options in the car I found ('08 with low miles, Aerokit, PCCB, deviated stitching everywhere).

Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the comments. Always a challenge to really convey all my interests in a simple post. I only mentioned a GT3 for availability reference. If you want a '10 GT3, there are plenty around. I don't want one. Way too harsh for a DD - as many owners seem to have found out.
A salesperson may have told you the trunk is equal, but take a look. The '09 eliminated the "bump" from the front axle diff. Cars don't have too much usable space, so every extra bit is a plus. I've been looking at '07-'09's for a while to learn the differences. I agree with amw though, if there was an aerokit '08 with other bits, it would probably overcome that minor '09 advantage. However, with the '09 you also get the touch screen head unit. I'm not sure how much "better" it really is.

I did say I really want a 6 speed. However, as all said, the '10 PDK is just damn fast. Not sure if I will find PDK boring after a while. BUT - how about the reliability of the new DFI engine? No postings that I've seen here about issues, but it isn't the Mezger. With the PDK, the '10 is 0-60 in 3.0 sec. - one of the quickest cars ever. It may be beaten in the future, but not by much.

The GTS is just a tuned S, agreed. I'm really looking for the extra torque of a 911 over the M3. I think the TT will give all I want and more. At over 400hp, I'm sure the GTS is torquey as well. Price of an '11 compares to a '09 TT, so they are worthy of comparison.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I'd choose the '10 for the PDK, updated wheels and updated led's. Performance will be there for either version, I like how modern the rear of the newer models look and the combo w/PDK is great.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
i went from an 09 S to a 08 TT. as far as the small stuff the newer model PCM is way better. the older PCM is a POS. Also the smaller mirrors on the 08 took some getting used to. The DFI engines had a lot of issues w/ the HPFP, just like BMW and others. My 09 had it replaced w/ in the 1st 4 months.

Also on the DFI engines an oil change is slighty easier.

as far as pricing I saw a '10 PDK w/ ~20k miles go for ~$108k and a '09 Stick w/ 35miles for ~$85k.

Last edited by kosmo69; 09-21-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
This 0-60 thing mentioned quiet a lot from a lot of people in different forums is so meaningless really. I wouldn't bother with that at all. A car that does 0-60 in 3,4" should not be considered as being a slower car! Because life does not stop at 60miles/h. What happens after that? A properly tuned '09 that spins its tires from standstill and does 0-60 in 3,2" or 3,4" can smash a PDK at no time after 60... So 0-60 is not a big deal for me... Also LED lights are everywhere. Nobody can even tell if it's an mk2 or mk1 anymore because A LOT of people that own an mk1 did the upgrade anyway! I wouldn't bother about led lights really nor any exhaust tips. There are plenty of AM or OEM solutions. If someone likes the manual '09 then THAT's the car to go for! The only serious reason i see for someone to want the mk2 is the automatic transmission. The PDK. Also the fact that the mk2 has less moving engine parts does not mean it's going to be more reliable than the mezger bullet proof engine... this is a fact really... May I remind you that in the GT2 RS that was released AFTER the release of the facelifted turbo they installed the "old" mezger engine. Because they knew people would track it and drive it hard and that an mk2 engine wouldn't really last that long. So this "less moving parts" theory is objective in every way...

Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
To me it is simple, if you want PDK go with the '10. Everything else (6 speed, engine, ability to mod, price, etc.) favors the '09.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Ryem3 - I'm biased on the 09 obviously, but it comes down to the simplicity of a few preferences:
- if you need PDK (which you're saying you don't) then to me that's the only reason to select the '10
- if you want a manual than the advangage of the '10 is gone, might as save some $$ and get the 09 (plus gives the better dry sump)
- if you want to modify to huge HP/TQ down the road without worry, get the '09

I tell you, a manual with the GT2 slave/master clutch conversion, a stronger stage 2.5 clutch and the OEM short shifter feels like magic. An absolute joy to drive. So crisp, so much feedback.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
A salesperson may have told you the trunk is equal, but take a look. The '09 eliminated the "bump" from the front axle diff. Cars don't have too much usable space, so every extra bit is a plus.
How do you "eliminate the bump" if the axle wasn't changed and still keep the same interior volume without a change to the front end?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, will help with the decision. Yeah, also looks like the price delta may be closer to $20k. In some ways, I think the '09 turbo may be a classic. Who knows when I might mod it - I've never kept a car stock!

Thanks for the comment on the PCM - I had an '07 S, so I know the old one is not necessarily the best.

Agreed on the taillights. I could just drop in an aftermarket set. Did that on the S and really liked them. I'm much more interested in DFI motor longevity. Pretty unproven at this point, I guess.

I assume the front axle WAS changed in '09. Go to Autotrader and check out pics of the models, you'll see the change. Not that this is a particularly big deal.

I also think I'll take the biggest value hit with a '10 when the 991 TT comes out. THis also favors the '09. Time to look in earnest!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I have 6speed 2011 TT. Go with the 2010 and up. Then engine is rock solid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choosing a TT - '09 or '10?