997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Techart PDK Paddles Review- Poor Quality, Horrible Customer Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
CrazyMD will become famous soon enoughCrazyMD will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Techart PDK Paddles Review

I've been reading these forums for quite some time in anticipation of the time that I would purchase a new 911 Turbo. I found the car I was looking for and the vehicle turned out to be very sentimental to me. If you read the following article you will understand why:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-life/1811295/

After taking delivery of the car, I found the PDK paddleshift system to be reverse of whats normal for me and difficult to drive. So I started looking on the internet for options.

I came upon the Techart PDK paddle's. After calling Techart and talking with someone named Florian, he sold me on the $900 upgrade kit.

I received my kit and on sunday began the installation. Midway during the install (After my steering wheel is off the car and taken apart) I noticed that the plastic paddles have internal cracks in them. I should have stopped at this point seeing the poor quality of the kit. I put a little superglue on the inside of the paddle's and continued with the install.

Just would like to say that the President of Techart called me. I explained the problem to him and he immediately had me come in to exchange the piece. I installed the cover and fits perfectly. He offered to replace the paddles as well however I didnt mind as they were already installed, cracks were inside the paddles, and I think the superglue will hold just fine.

I appreciate his time in resolving this issue. Now I get my multifunction steering wheel with paddles! If anyone needs help with the install let me know!

Last edited by CrazyMD; 01-31-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Amazing story..glad the child made it! Makes you think that certain things do happen for a reason.

However, your techart experience is unfortunate especially given their great reputation on the boards. I dont have a pdk but interested in pics as I may have to reconsider my future techart purchases.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Excellent story saving the kids life!! We need more storied like this.

As for the Techart story....sounds very UN-Techart like. I have many Techart parts on my Cayman and they've, thus far, been top-notch. Perhaps their quality controls are slipping. Sad.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
I just read your story from another link! Incredible story...

Sorry to hear about the Techart problems.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Wow, awesome story (the link one, not the Techart one)! Thank you doc!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Great story. Sorry to hear abt the paddles.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the response. I too am shocked at how bad and ridiculous the customer service at TechArt is. I don't expect that when you pay $900 for 4 small pieces of plastic. All they had to do was swap out 1 piece for the defective one and not ask me to spend 3 hours taking the entire steering wheel apart. Absolutely ridiculous and I wasn't even complaining about the cracks in the paddles either. I just hope this dissuades some people from purchasing from this company as a result of my poor experience with them.

Will post some pics and possibly a you tube video as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hi crazymd I loved that story - the one about you by chance saving that kid's life. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!! Way to go...

On that other stuff... Hmm I've been really happy and lucky with their parts over the years and if something hasn't been up to snuff they always fix it. Did you maybe try emailing techart in Germany from the web site? See if that helps maybe?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi sharkster, I'm happy I was able to help the little boy and things turned out the way they did! Something I hope I never have to experience again!

As for techart, after the responses I got from their manager florian, I am finished dealing with them. Their solution is for me to disassemble everything and give it back to them rather than just exchange a small $2 piece of plastic that acts as a dummy cover. Why they would choose to take this route is beyond me.

Poor quality parts, poor customer service...and hopefully other people who read this forum read my experience and use it to make a decision as to whether they would like to experience such poor service. To spend $900 and receive paddles with cracks, and poor fitting front covers I would expect nothing less from a reputable company than to apologize and replace the 1 piece I asked for.

I'll just let American Express deal with it and see how it goes. Guess I have to get the oem paddles and give up my multi function steering wheel

Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the heads-up about your experience with TechArt. I have really got to say thanks for that link as well. Thank God you were in the right place at the right time! There was undoubtedly some divine intervention going on there

Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
GT-TT will become famous soon enoughGT-TT will become famous soon enough
Brought tears to my eyes, what an incredible story.. You doctors sometimes get to experience the most noble and incredible feeling in the world; saving someone's life. I cant possibly believe even for a second that that text message was just a coincidence, it was not that kid's time and the universe made sure that the right person was there. Well done for doing what you did mate..!

As for Techart, shame but they are germans.. Usually their parts have good quality, unlike other tuners. I guess they took the view that you installing this was the cause of the problem. Well that's lame and they should honour their product. They did that multiple times when my suspension and lift were replace 1 and 4 times (!) respectively because of manufacturing defects..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Just would like to say that the President of Techart called me. I explained the problem to him and he immediately had me come in to exchange the piece. I installed the cover and fits perfectly. He offered to replace the paddles as well however I didnt mind as they were already installed, cracks were inside the paddles, and I think the superglue will hold just fine.

I appreciate his time in resolving this issue. Now I get my multifunction steering wheel with paddles! If anyone needs help with the install let me know!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved. Thank you for updating the thread!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough
I changed directions and got this instead. Cost less than the Techart solution after I sold the old steering and airbag. (Yes, I am so cheap!)

Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
what kind of headlights do you have?