997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather Interior Question: 997.1 vs 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Leather Interior Question: 997.1 vs 997.2

I have a few questions in regards to the leather interior of the Turbo. As I understand it, the Turbo comes standard with full leather while this is an option for a Carrera?

My questions:

1. Did Porsche change the leather when they released the 997.2? For some reason I feel that the leather in my friend’s 2009 Turbo (I know still a .1 but has the .2 interior) looks and feels better than the 2008 Turbo I was in (both had similar mileage). In the 2008, the adaptive sport seats were not as soft and not as dark (both black) compared to the 2009. I also feel as though Porsche changed the stitching to being more aggressive/bold? Every time I sit in a 997.2 it just looks better compared to the 997.1…

2. If you have the supple leather option, does that only change the leather on the seats or does it also change the remainder of the interior parts such as the dash, PCM sides and top of the doors to supple leather?

TIA

Last edited by Johnny DB; 04-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
To add more complication: Each color feels different.

My understanding on the supple leather option was that it just involved a different style of stitching for the seatback and seatpan. I don't think the material is different...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
The supple leather in the 997.1 feels better than the leather in the 997.2
Think it depends on which colour & leather option you order.
Stitching also dependent on what's ordered as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I'm talking about black only and I believe the leather is different...

Originally Posted by arash

My understanding on the supple leather option was that it just involved a different style of stitching for the seatback and seatpan. I don't think the material is different...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I found the supple leather in my 997.1 rough and wrinkly! lol

Can you get different styles of stitching or simply color choices?

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
The supple leather in the 997.1 feels better than the leather in the 997.2
Think it depends on which colour & leather option you order.
Stitching also dependent on what's ordered as well.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
I am trying to replace a rear panel on my .1 and the new panel that arrived is much different. I know grains can be hard to match but the older leather is soft and smooth, the newer stuff has more stipple like grain and is similar to sandpaper. The color match is good but the leather is completely different.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DOOBEE
I am trying to replace a rear panel on my .1 and the new panel that arrived is much different. I know grains can be hard to match but the older leather is soft and smooth, the newer stuff has more stipple like grain and is similar to sandpaper. The color match is good but the leather is completely different.
Now that you mention it, I too have noticed that the replacement panel I have for my seat doesn't feel as smooth as the original. (Natural Brown).
My understanding is that leather replacements are made to order, there is really no stock. So I guess cows change over the years!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by arash
Each individual cow feels different too.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
My drivers seat had some imperfections on the leather. I wanted to replace it but was told it would not match. Reason as stated above, they make them to order. I refinished it myself since I do it as a hobby.