997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

extended warranty after CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eurotom
Its on top of current coverage including miles, so I'd be covered up to 69 or
79k miles and another 6-7 years from today.

Have a consult this evening, keep you posted on details.
Very un likely and never heard of.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Eurotom is correct. I bought a Fidelity Extended Warranty for 6yrs/60,000 miles. Warranty starts day you pay for it. I purchased the warranty for my 2007 Turbo with 4607 miles on it on December 21, 2010. Warranty will cover me up to December 21, 2016 or 64,607 miles, whichever comes first. Term has nothing to do with the original 4 year warranty but I had to buy this warranty before the original Porsche warranty expired to get the lowest rates. Paid $2591 at the time and got it from Christine Tackla at Pacific Porsche, 310-891-2100 x4121. I called all over and she had the best rates. For those out of state or out of the area, she could probably do it over the phone with proof of ownership/registration and odometer mileage. Price is determined by mileage and year. Fidelity also offers longer warranty periods, such as 6yr/72,000 miles, 6 yr/100,000 miles, 7 yr/70,000 or 100,000 miles. Shop these hard because the markup on these warranties is huge

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997TTurbo
Eurotom is correct. I bought a Fidelity Extended Warranty for 6yrs/60,000 miles. Warranty starts day you pay for it. I purchased the warranty for my 2007 Turbo with 4607 miles on it on December 21, 2010. Warranty will cover me up to December 21, 2016 or 64,607 miles, whichever comes first. Term has nothing to do with the original 4 year warranty but I had to buy this warranty before the original Porsche warranty expired to get the lowest rates. Paid $2591 at the time and got it from Christine Tackla at Pacific Porsche, 310-891-2100 x4121. I called all over and she had the best rates. For those out of state or out of the area, she could probably do it over the phone with proof of ownership/registration and odometer mileage. Price is determined by mileage and year. Fidelity also offers longer warranty periods, such as 6yr/72,000 miles, 6 yr/100,000 miles, 7 yr/70,000 or 100,000 miles. Shop these hard because the markup on these warranties is huge
Thanks for the info. I realize now why my quote was so different. While I'm currently covered with CPO, I'm beyond the original 4 year warranty. So my quote was for 24 more months and 24,000 more miles.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
My CPO expires end of this week. Sourced through Fidelity via Porsche. Quoted the following:

6 year 60k @ $2654.00
7 year 70k @ $3150.00
$100 deductible

Mileage above is on top of current mileage. I have an 07 TT with 9k miles
For a 2007 TT 23k miles, this is the quote I got from EasyCare directly:
(top tier coverage)

1. 4y/48k $250 ded $4000

This is the quote I got from Fidelity via Pacific Porsche (without haggling):
(Platinum coverage)

1. 3y/36k $250 ded $2500
2. 4y/48k $250 ded $3000
3. 5y/60k $250 ded $3500

(they also said that mods may cause warranty repairs not to be covered)

Is it worth the risk to get the extended warranty with just an aftermarket exhaust?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Local dealer doesn't offer Easycare...just switched to Allstate but service department recommends Easycare. Easycare TotalCare (is this the same as Premium?) quote for 2008 TT with 33,000 miles

$250 deductible
24 months / 24,000 miles
$3,440

I don't have to do anything until December when CPO expires so I have time to shop.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
"Tom," I am going to hate you and your 9000 miles TT. Wow that's very low.
Re. warranty, only $500 between 6 and 7, doesn't this make 7-year policy a no brainer?

For anyone thinking about this, IMHO:

1. Price is very much negotiable and definitely pit one dealer against another during negotiation. It would not surprise me if dealer margin is 30-40% on these things (anyone knows?), therefore 20% discount is fair. I got my "additional" 3/30000 for $4400 (higher than Tom because my car had 25000 miles at the time), discounted from the original quote of, I think, 5400 (?) from 2 dealers.

2. I do try to buy the ext. warranty from the local dealer that I am going to use, because I do think this put extra pressure on them to get insurance to pay for you once something does go wrong. "Your salesman told me everything was going to be covered - please work for it." I also ask the head tech at each dealer how good the local Fidelity/Easy Care people are. Do they pay readily and do they dig into unrelated car mods.

3. I didn't know this at the time, but indie could fix your car and get coverage by Fidelity, not just your dealer. I do see the value of dealer's credibility being much much more though.

4. Fidelity did end up paying for everything for my fix, but they did play games at the beginning and I did have to call them and gave them an unpleasant dress-down. After that, it was smooth sailing.

5. Rubber is not covered (what a fine print!). Rubber coolant hose is not covered, metal coolant pipe is.
I know I know looking to add some miles with VID @ LS in the next months. Re. 500 delta I thought so as well. Take a look at my next post.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Take a look at the attachements for coverage options. I went with the Platinum option and as 997TTurbo mentioned the mileage and contract duration start the day you sign.

Regaridng Can's input.

1. Prices are negotiable however my dealer deserves my business so I didn't push which leads in into the next topic.

2. Purchase your extention through your dealer. Dealers have an established relationship with these companies. For you modded turbo guys you defnitely do not want an adjuster coming out and scrutinizing your car for every repair. From what I hear majority of "warranty" related work is approved via emai/phone. Establish a relationship with your dealer, leave a case of wine/sctoch in the frunk when you drop your car off and fill out your surveys, most service techs/managers are paid for each positive survey above 90% ( of course if they deserve recognition).

3. Pre approval inspection- as others have mentioned they look at mileage, model year and most importantly is your car still under CPO. My CPO expires this week, in fact in 3 days. If I would have waited I would have expected to pay an additional ~1200. Note you can wait until the last minute as their systems simply ask for a yes/no when selecting existing CPO coverage. Additional note, my car is modded as you can see and there were no questions asked. Entire process took 20 mins.

-Tom

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fidelity 1.pdf (376.2 KB, 210 views)
Fidelity 2.pdf (291.7 KB, 224 views)
Fidelity 3.pdf (221.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by PSTT07
You will find lots of threads on this.

I purchased an extended warranty (EasyCare) when my factory coverage exprired because I wanted the piece of mind. As you're likely aware, doesn't take much for service work to quickly add up, e.g. radiators, coolant hose, etc.

Recently had my TPMS sensors replaced at the dealer and it was covered. Would have been more than 1k, I was thrilled that work was part of the coverage.
What I found at my porsche dealer on costs not covered by EasyCare, dealer charges what they want for service and parts and costs to me were far above list. With EasyCare or other warranty, warranty controls this price gouging. Checked clutch prices at two different Porsche dealers, one in Atlanta and another in Alabama. The Fl-dealer excuse was that they were a small dealer and shipping is high. EasyCare admitted they see this cost gouging a lot, but they control that because they only pay book prices whereas customers generally have no clue.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
i used sunset porsche in oregon to buy fidelity warranty for wifes boxster last yr- they have good rennlist/excellence prices & no sales tax. their
parts prices are at least 75% less than local dealer.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Take a look at the attachements for coverage options. I went with the Platinum option and as 997TTurbo mentioned the mileage and contract duration start the day you sign.

Regaridng Can's input.

1. Prices are negotiable however my dealer deserves my business so I didn't push which leads in into the next topic.

2. Purchase your extention through your dealer. Dealers have an established relationship with these companies. For you modded turbo guys you defnitely do not want an adjuster coming out and scrutinizing your car for every repair. From what I hear majority of "warranty" related work is approved via emai/phone. Establish a relationship with your dealer, leave a case of wine/sctoch in the frunk when you drop your car off and fill out your surveys, most service techs/managers are paid for each positive survey above 90% ( of course if they deserve recognition).

3. Pre approval inspection- as others have mentioned they look at mileage, model year and most importantly is your car still under CPO. My CPO expires this week, in fact in 3 days. If I would have waited I would have expected to pay an additional ~1200. Note you can wait until the last minute as their systems simply ask for a yes/no when selecting existing CPO coverage. Additional note, my car is modded as you can see and there were no questions asked. Entire process took 20 mins.

-Tom
Thanks for the Fidelity info. Which coverage did you end up getting? Did you require an inspection of the vehicle? Did they say/note anything about your mods?

I think I will also go with Fidelity since the EasyCare quote is at least $1000 more. EasyCare Total does cover wheels and tires, which most of us don't really need.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
jgood will become famous soon enough
Has anybody tried the warranty from Costco?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by stltri
Thanks for the Fidelity info. Which coverage did you end up getting? Did you require an inspection of the vehicle? Did they say/note anything about your mods?

I think I will also go with Fidelity since the EasyCare quote is at least $1000 more. EasyCare Total does cover wheels and tires, which most of us don't really need.
Platinum coverage, no inspection, no comments about mods, just "sign here"

Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Platinum coverage, no inspection, no comments about mods, just "sign here"
I just went to Fidelity's site and didn't see a link to buy the coverage online, just their brochure. How were you able to purchase it? Thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM
ilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of light
Call Fidelity and they'll give you names and phone numbers of dealers in your area. Can be anybody - Porsche, Honda, Kia, etc. I bought mine from an Audi dealer in NJ. Technically you could buy it from any dealer regardless of location.

Last edited by ilko; 05-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
^ Correct take a look at post 22 item 2, its beneficial for you to go through your dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: extended warranty after CPO