997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

extended warranty after CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
extended warranty after CPO

Does it make sense to extend the CPO warranty (either with Fidelity or Evercare) if a TT with only an aftermarket exhaust will be driven occasionally at the track (once a month or every other month for example)?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
You will find lots of threads on this.

I purchased an extended warranty (EasyCare) when my factory coverage exprired because I wanted the piece of mind. As you're likely aware, doesn't take much for service work to quickly add up, e.g. radiators, coolant hose, etc.

Recently had my TPMS sensors replaced at the dealer and it was covered. Would have been more than 1k, I was thrilled that work was part of the coverage.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Go for the warranty for peace of mind and the added benefit of resale value of the car if you sell it with a warranty. I got a Fidelity warranty from Christine Tackla at Pacific Porsche in Torrance, 310-891-2100 x4121.
Tell her Gary from Orange County says hi!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997TTurbo
Go for the warranty for peace of mind and the added benefit of resale value of the car if you sell it with a warranty. I got a Fidelity warranty from Christine Tackla at Pacific Porsche in Torrance, 310-891-2100 x4121.
Tell her Gary from Orange County says hi!
^ This

Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the replies. I read some older posts and there was no clear answer with regard to effect of mods on warranty.

I called EasyCare claims department directly and they said that any form of modification to the engine or drivetrain or anything other than stock parts will void coverage of any warranty services on the car. Guess this answers my question unless others have a different experience from EasyCare or Fidelity.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
what are the costs?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
My CPO expires end of this week. Sourced through Fidelity via Porsche. Quoted the following:

6 year 60k @ $2654.00
7 year 70k @ $3150.00
$100 deductible

Mileage above is on top of current mileage. I have an 07 TT with 9k miles

Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stltri
Thanks for the replies. I read some older posts and there was no clear answer with regard to effect of mods on warranty.

I called EasyCare claims department directly and they said that any form of modification to the engine or drivetrain or anything other than stock parts will void coverage of any warranty services on the car. Guess this answers my question unless others have a different experience from EasyCare or Fidelity.
Im curious about this too. I only have an exhaust and my CPO runs out in August. Is an exhaust considered mod to the "engine or drivetrain"? Or did they tell you ANY mod whatsoever will void their coverage? Seems like there's a lot of guys on this board with mods who have extended warranties. Can anybody chime in?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eurotom
My CPO expires end of this week. Sourced through Fidelity via Porsche. Quoted the following:

6 year 60k @ $2654.00
7 year 70k @ $3150.00
$100 deductible

Does 6/60 this mean 2 more years of coverage beyond the original 4 years and total mileage out to 60,000? If it means 6 more years and 60,000 more miles then you received a great quote - I'd be sure to understand the coverage before signing up.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stltri

My car has ECU tune, suspension tune, and after-market exhaust.
During first 4 years, the Turbo had a leak, and that slave cylinder had a leak, both replaced under factory warranty, no question asked.
In the 5th year, the coolant system (and other things) had problems that was fixed by Fidelity, no question asked about mods. The bill was around 4k I believe.

Regarding whether they will pay: On the phone with the rep of course they will say the safest thing to protect themselves. IMHO in real life situations there is no 100% certain answer but my guess is that unless the engine blows up or something is very directly related to the mod, they are more likely to pay. It's important to have a good relationship with master tech so he tells the truth without making compromising statements. Yeah that's an art, a version of don't ask don't tell. In my case for example, during the coolant leak fix Fidelity never once asked for example whether my car had any mod.

Just reporting my experience: I added 30,000 miles/3 year Fidelity to my factory 50,000 miles (?)/4 year warranty, totaling then 80,000 miles/7 years. Got a quote from both Pacific Porsche and Circle Porsche for Fidelity. While initial quotes were the same, Circle Porsche was willing to negotiate and gave me about oh 15%-20% (?) discount, Pacific Porsche would not negotiate. Whatever you decide, make sure you get the top of the line policy, Platinum in case of Fidelity I think, and not the lower level, where there are many "funny" fine prints.

Last edited by cannga; 05-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Also try Costco - very affordable warranties and good coverage from what I read.

The biggest factor in determining cost will be the number of miles on your car and the year. They will not cover certain cars like AMG's but will cover turbos when I last talked to them. Warranties are transferrable and pro-rated.

6 year 60k @ $2654.00
7 year 70k @ $3150.00
$100 deductible

Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Does 6/60 this mean 2 more years of coverage beyond the original 4 years and total mileage out to 60,000? If it means 6 more years and 60,000 more miles then you received a great quote - I'd be sure to understand the coverage before signing up.
Its on top of current coverage including miles, so I'd be covered up to 69 or
79k miles and another 6-7 years from today.

Have a consult this evening, keep you posted on details.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Its on top of current coverage including miles, so I'd be covered up to 69 or
79k miles and another 6-7 years from today.

Have a consult this evening, keep you posted on details.
That's great! Does anyone know if any EasyCare provider can write the warranty. For example, I'm in Texas, can I get a dealer in California to bind coverage?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by MK23
Im curious about this too. I only have an exhaust and my CPO runs out in August. Is an exhaust considered mod to the "engine or drivetrain"? Or did they tell you ANY mod whatsoever will void their coverage? Seems like there's a lot of guys on this board with mods who have extended warranties. Can anybody chime in?
EasyCare Claims Department (1-800-538-4181) informed me that aftermarket exhaust will likely void warranty. But like Can said, if they don't know about it, then it doesn't exist, may be a work around. Of course, this will be a risk.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
6 year 60k @ $2654.00
7 year 70k @ $3150.00
$100 deductible
"Tom," I am going to hate you and your 9000 miles TT. Wow that's very low.
Re. warranty, only $500 between 6 and 7, doesn't this make 7-year policy a no brainer?

For anyone thinking about this, IMHO:

1. Price is very much negotiable and definitely pit one dealer against another during negotiation. It would not surprise me if dealer margin is 30-40% on these things (anyone knows?), therefore 20% discount is fair. I got my "additional" 3/30000 for $4400 (higher than Tom because my car had 25000 miles at the time), discounted from the original quote of, I think, 5400 (?) from 2 dealers.

2. I do try to buy the ext. warranty from the local dealer that I am going to use, because I do think this put extra pressure on them to get insurance to pay for you once something does go wrong. "Your salesman told me everything was going to be covered - please work for it." I also ask the head tech at each dealer how good the local Fidelity/Easy Care people are. Do they pay readily and do they dig into unrelated car mods.

3. I didn't know this at the time, but indie could fix your car and get coverage by Fidelity, not just your dealer. I do see the value of dealer's credibility being much much more though.

4. Fidelity did end up paying for everything for my fix, but they did play games at the beginning and I did have to call them and gave them an unpleasant dress-down. After that, it was smooth sailing.

5. Rubber is not covered (what a fine print!). Rubber coolant hose is not covered, metal coolant pipe is.

Last edited by cannga; 05-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: extended warranty after CPO