997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Review of EP on 2011 997 TTS.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 AM
rexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nice
Review of EP on 2011 997 TTS.

Hello guys,
I've been looking around on this forum for a long time, and did a lot of research about the exhausts for my 997.2 tts. I finally bought the exhaust from Stef.
First of, I would apologize for my bad English.....
I'm not comparing EP with any other exhausts in this thread because this is my first exhaust, and I haven't heard any other exhaust on a 997 tts so I think I'm not qualified to make a comparison. It's not fair to anyone. I will just talk about my feelings about this particular one product. Now I have it on for about 1500km.
I ordered the exhaust at the end of August I think...and Received it 3 weeks later, it took about 4 days to get to Point Roberts, WA. I went there from Vancouver Canada to pick it up. I have to say, Canadian border is the ugliest in the world... They looked happy right after I claimed I picked up a $4K product and happily charged me $800 duty and tax(even I said it was for personal use).
The exhaust came nicely packaged, and it's been protected so well as you can tell from the pix. It also came with a tool box and 2 new gaskets(you must use the new gaskets). I took the car to a local tuning shop, mostly for high-ends cars. But I think they did a ****ty job, they couldn't finish it for an afternoon. I picked it up the next day. But they said I had a good taste, it’s the best exhaust in terms of sounding and quality they ever installed for a 911 turbo.
Ok, now here's a personal experience of the sound and over all performance of my car.
I'm not an expert nor a enthusiast. I just enjoy my car. and I have driven it for 3 years without any mods. So I'm very familiar what the OEM is like. The stock exhaust notes was very lovely inside when you had the sport mode on(I think everyone thinks that way. ). But it was very horrible when you hear it outside, it was just like a vacuum cleaner to me(some say rocket sound, if you have to put it that way).
After the new pipe is, ok, you can tell a huge difference when the engine start. It's deeper and louder than the stock, but not much. But the cold start is loud!! if I'm in a garage with my family and starts the car, I have to yell to them. It won't annoy neighbours IMO, it's bearable to my ear. The sound is quieter after around 30s, in fact I'd say it's quieter than the stock.
I can hear the echo sometimes in the back valley when I drive my car out, around 2k rpm, I can hear the increasing tone from low to high pitch as I accelerate. And you can hear the turbo spools and whistles very clearly at lower rpm. But when I drive it on the road, oh man, it's just a “suffer” to me! It's TOO QUIET in the cabin!! No drone, no noise no thing! Just the cabin sound, even with windows down. But all my friends said it's loud outside when I normally drive it, around 2-3.5k rpm. One of my friend, a hot girl, drives a Bentley CGT said it's the best sounding 911 she's ever heard.
So, in order to satisfy my curiosity, I let my friend drove it briefly. He didn't cruise sadly, he floored it as soon as he stepped in the car(That's y u never lend your car to other people!!!!). First in normal mode, it's loud, and melodious, and sound very powerful! The echo is very loud since it happened in the neighborhood. It triggered the alarms of the car on the sides. In sport mode, I don't know why, i don't like it if I have to choose between normal mode and sport mode. It sounds still very good and even louder, but the pitch seems lower than in normal mode, maybe because the flow is higher so the density of the air is bigger...I dunno...
I took the car to the dealer for a check after installing the pipe, the service guy(the same guy does service for my car for 3 years) says it's the best sounding exhaust he's ever heard in a 911 turbo.

Now the performance,
There is a huge difference! I drove the stock car for 3 years. The throttle response in normal mode was a pain in my ***! It was very slow, you had to step the gas paddle deeper so it would respond. and I could feel the gear box was lazy to make a downshift. With the EP, it's a lot responsive under normal mode, and the turbo kicks in early, at 7th gear, cruise speed, normal mode, the on-board computer shows the turbo kicked in around 1250-1400 rpm. I can definitely feel an increase in response speed. Also, the power at lower rpm is improved significantly.
I’m a good citizen(shy), so I haven’t floored it on highway yet, but I did in neighborhood, oh boy it’s just as fast as usual...but with much more racing sound. And I don’t have to feel embarrassed flooring it in front of people, every one will like it. Even my old man said it’s much better and not annoying as the other cars on the road.

Beside the exhaust, one other thing worth to mention is dealing with Stef. He’s such a nice and knowledgeable guy. He knows his thing! He kindly answered all my dumb questions and kept in touch with me after I got the exhaust.
Sadly I drove off a speed bump too fast last week and hit the mufflers(WTF I paid to much attention to the front and never to the back, I didn’t know I would hit the mufflers). There was some scratches. I almost cried. Stef told me to not worry about it, there’s nothing fragile or easily to change form inside the mufflers.

If you really want me to point out any thing need to improve, I would say...I wish it could be a little bit louder, both inside and outside.
But the inside is much much quiet, even quieter than the stock one(normal mode. It’s loud inside under sport mode, anyone knows what’s the mechanism in this function? I don’t think there’s a valve in the exhaust.) which makes my OCD worse... I really want to know what it sounds like outside. I have only heard it once and I think I almost forgot what it’s like! urghh!!
All in all, I’m very satisfied with my choice! I won’t change it in the future. And I don’t plan to do any further mods on performance...except some exteriors..

Thank you Stef, it’s a pleasure dealing with you. I will definitely recommend Europipe to any other Turbo owners...

Thanks for reading, and sorry again if you can’t understand my english...hopefully not...

Question: My oil level light was on and said “check engine oil level” for several times after last service in the dealership. I checked it with on-board computer, it went off. But it might come up again randomly, like 400km after. Very weird, I took it to the dealership and they scanned the computer and there was no problem.

BTW, I have video clips but I don't want to post any of them. I think they are misleading because they don't capture the true sound of the exhaust, not only europipe but to anyone. If you want to know how an exhaust sounds like, to hear it in real person! All I can tell you is, it's sounds way way way more better in real person than on the internet, including europipe. None of the videos I find on youtube reflects the true sound of Europipe, it's very good in real person.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	291379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	291380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	291381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	291382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	291384  

Last edited by rexz419; 10-19-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing - most folks are pleased with their decision to install EP. What was the problem with your tuning shop that made you say it was a bad install job? There's no valve in the EP exhaust system so selecting sport mode doesn't affect the exhaust. If you're still under warranty, I'd get your dealer to further investigate your oil level issue. It would bother me that the light is coming on and dealer says no problem.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
Congrats on EP1 exhaust. I know that feeling. I put one over a year ago and it is the best exhaust system ever on 997tt . Enjoy in good health.Stef is a professional and a very nice person to work with.I will do again EP1 on my next Porsche.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats OP on your EP exhaust. I drive my car in manual most of the time now to take advantage of the EP symphonies. Stef is definitely the best vendor on here and the quality of the product is awesome. Enjoy in good health OP!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
rexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nice
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Thanks for sharing - most folks are pleased with their decision to install EP. What was the problem with your tuning shop that made you say it was a bad install job? There's no valve in the EP exhaust system so selecting sport mode doesn't affect the exhaust. If you're still under warranty, I'd get your dealer to further investigate your oil level issue. It would bother me that the light is coming on and dealer says no problem.
Honestly i don't know man..they did everything behind the door and wouldn't let their customer in the garage when they were working. And i was suspecting they might broke some parts or have some trouble putting everything back.. But the car seemed fine...
And ya i will bring the car to the dealership if the light ever comes up again

Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by avh128996tt
Congrats on EP1 exhaust. I know that feeling. I put one over a year ago and it is the best exhaust system ever on 997tt . Enjoy in good health.Stef is a professional and a very nice person to work with.I will do again EP1 on my next Porsche.
Yes it does sound the best!!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by JmanE55
Congrats OP on your EP exhaust. I drive my car in manual most of the time now to take advantage of the EP symphonies. Stef is definitely the best vendor on here and the quality of the product is awesome. Enjoy in good health OP!
Exactly....i drive the car manually once the oil temperature comes up..especially on crowded street . Hehehe

Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Excellent thread!

Did you get EP1 or 2?

Last edited by LeoLambo; 10-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Excellent thread!

Did you get EP1 or 2?
Only EP1 for 997.2.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Excellent thread! Did you get EP1 or 2?
theres only one version for mk2

Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rexz419
Exactly....i drive the car manually once the oil temperature comes up..especially on crowded street . Hehehe
I feel your pain mate.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Even the dog likes it

My wife would drop a load in her pants if I had an exhaust system inside the house on white carpet.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
My wife would drop a load in her pants if I had an exhaust system inside the house on white carpet.
The manner in which Stef and Herman manufacture and then pack the EP, the system may be cleaner than your shoes

Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 and +1

Congrats OP.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Rex,

Nice to hear that you enjoy your new pipe. Also thanks for your confidence.

Between idle and 1500 rpm there's some drone with the stock exhaust so when you feel that the EP sometimes sounds quieter inside the cabin then it's because it has less drone than the stock exhaust.

If you don't know what drone is then put your car in D with the sport chrono button activated and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left or to the right. You will notice the drone and at the very last end it will drone even more.

Be careful when driving hard in crowded areas because it sounds really loud on the outside and you will scare other people.
At WOT it sounds louder than all our other Turbo sport exhausts.

Have fun !

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review of EP on 2011 997 TTS.