997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Has anyone traded down and remained happy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 AM
MB Coastal is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the responses. My 2008 is almost paid off.
I'm thinking of putting most of the money towards retirement. I was not nearly as happy in my prior car(997s)as in this one. I like torque. I can lease the next car thru my business or purchase a gently used car.
I appreciate your opinions!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds really like you have too much money tied up in this car. Not sure what you think you will get for it and still buy some of the cars you have mentioned and put the balance towards retirement. You sound young, drive a car you really can't afford and you want your cake and eat it too. Again not sure how old you are but cars are great toys to own but they should never displace financial goals. Sounds like you're smart and got your head on straight. If you end up selling the car and you want to to put some of it toward retirement you should more in retirement over a 12 time horizon then the cost of your next car. At a minimum 50/50 car/retirement. Whatever that buys you. If you do that then you are being serious about your future. Cars of any type will be around forever so don't worry about the world running out of cars. But the time window to invest in your retirement will eventually run out. GL with your decision.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by CALGUY
Sounds really like you have too much money tied up in this car. Not sure what you think you will get for it and still buy some of the cars you have mentioned and put the balance towards retirement. You sound young, drive a car you really can't afford and you want your cake and eat it too. Again not sure how old you are but cars are great toys to own but they should never displace financial goals. Sounds like you're smart and got your head on straight. If you end up selling the car and you want to to put some of it toward retirement you should more in retirement over a 12 time horizon then the cost of your next car. At a minimum 50/50 car/retirement. Whatever that buys you. If you do that then you are being serious about your future. Cars of any type will be around forever so don't worry about the world running out of cars. But the time window to invest in your retirement will eventually run out. GL with your decision.
Thanks for your reply. I'm 50,so not so young. I do want to have my cake and eat it too! I think I can bank about $40k and drive a nice but lesser car. It's about taking the equity I have in the car and putting it into better(?)use.

I'm going to test drive the new Stingray and an M3 to see if they would make me happy.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Why not sell your 80k car and buy a car you can afford like a BRZ for cash and not lease a car which is going to cost you 40k and then have nothing in 3/4 years and put the 50k in your retirement account.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like affordability is the OP's issue. I read his post and understood that (1) he has an almost paid off '08TT Cab (so clearly he can afford one), however (2) the car spends most of its time in his garage (3) so rather than sitting on a depreciating asset, will he miss selling the TT, buying a substitute and investing the balance of the sale proceeds in his retirement account.

MB Coastal, I think you'll be hard pressed to find an equal substitutte to your TT for the price you are considering, espcially if torque is your addiction of choice! That said, the C7 and M3 are decent compromises and may just give you a grin on your 40min round trip commute. GL eitherway.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like affordability is the OP's issue. I read his post and understood that (1) he has an almost paid off '08TT Cab (so clearly he can afford one), however (2) the car spends most of its time in his garage (3) so rather than sitting on a depreciating asset, will he miss selling the TT, buying a substitute and investing the balance of the sale proceeds in his retirement account.

MB Coastal, I think you'll be hard pressed to find an equal substitutte to your TT for the price you are considering, espcially if torque is your addiction of choice! That said, the C7 and M3 are decent compromises and may just give you a grin on your 40min round trip commute. GL eitherway.

You are correct in all of the above.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by akunob

No kidding! The choice should never be toy or retirment.... I pay way too much in taxes to to hear that kind of talk. Would hate to think I'm supporting peoples' bad and irrational decisions in life

Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by thackl
No kidding! The choice should never be toy or retirment.... I pay way too much in taxes to to hear that kind of talk. Would hate to think I'm supporting peoples' bad and irrational decisions in life
Thank you for your response. I can assure you that you are not supporting me in any way,shape or form. I pay an exorbitant amount in taxes,give a lot back to my community,and employ more people than I care to say,and take care of my family.

akunob in his post put it best!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MB Coastal
Thank you for your response. I can assure you that you are not supporting me in any way,shape or form. I pay an exorbitant amount in taxes,give a lot back to my community,and employ more people than I care to say,and take care of my family.

akunob in his post put it best!
I totally get your situation and akunobs explanation . I'm having a similar dilemma on another toy I want. Being offered at a great price, but would not use it much and would be much better off investing the $$. Only live once though..hard without a crystal ball to enjoy today and still feel good about tomorrow...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Don't know how many miles are on your turbo, but you could look at it this way. Your turbo may be worth $70-80k. In a year, the "expensive" turbo will be worth $5-10k less. The "cheaper" Vette or M3 will cost you $80k this year and will be worth $20k less next year. I've looked less at the absolute cost of cars and more at the cost of ownership. Of course in that respect, the turbo may cost more in maintenance since it is an older car, but you are driving a car that originally cost $140k, not one that cost $80k new. If you downgrade to an older used car like an RS5 or a C63, I suspect you will really miss the turbo. Another friend bought a Mecan and a 930. Then there is a lot less money in the weekend car, if you will. For me it is a space limitation - I'd love to have 3 or 4 cars, but just no room for them!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by thackl
I totally get your situation and akunobs explanation . I'm having a similar dilemma on another toy I want. Being offered at a great price, but would not use it much and would be much better off investing the $$. Only live once though..hard without a crystal ball to enjoy today and still feel good about tomorrow...
Thank you for your replies. I believe in plan for tomorrow,but live for today. I participate in another(high end internet)forum where we enable(encourage our friends to purchase stuff).
If you share,here or offline,I'll help enable you!

Last edited by MB Coastal; 02-11-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Don't know how many miles are on your turbo, but you could look at it this way. Your turbo may be worth $70-80k. In a year, the "expensive" turbo will be worth $5-10k less. The "cheaper" Vette or M3 will cost you $80k this year and will be worth $20k less next year. I've looked less at the absolute cost of cars and more at the cost of ownership. Of course in that respect, the turbo may cost more in maintenance since it is an older car, but you are driving a car that originally cost $140k, not one that cost $80k new. If you downgrade to an older used car like an RS5 or a C63, I suspect you will really miss the turbo. Another friend bought a Mecan and a 930. Then there is a lot less money in the weekend car, if you will. For me it is a space limitation - I'd love to have 3 or 4 cars, but just no room for them!
Like you,I have no room for more cars,and my kid will need a car in a year or so. My Turbo has 28k miles and is in perfect condition.
It's about what would make me pretty happy and let me put about $45K to retirement and still drive home with a smile. A $1k or slightly less per month payment is my ballpark.
I really like(but am not limited to a Cabrio).
Can you recommend any cars to fit the bill?
I'm not opposed to a different 997 TT and having the prior owner eat the early depreciation.
I think a 2009 would be the perfect year. New electronics and old(best)engine.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Based on what I have read you might consider the following:

1. Post your car for sale car in the forum here
2. Place your proceeds in your retirement account or somewhere safe
3. Do a short-term (24 months) lease on a car you like within your budget
4. Apply the lease to your business for tax benefits
5. Keep enjoying cars you like

The urge to trade up, sometimes down/different, typically never fades. At least IMO, everyone goes through a similar process where he/she has owned something long enough that it's time for a change.

FWIW, I wouldn't move from an 08 to 09. Not enough value in that move simply to achieve an updated PCM. Now if you said I want PCCBs, adaptive sports seats, 6-speed, aero kit, low miles, perfect color, etc. etc. that would be different. That scenario would be trading up though not down. If something more updated is what you're seeking in the turbo try the '10 or newer.

I know your just kicking this around but at the end of the day it may be easier on you just to keep your perfect condition turbo cab. Heck, put some new wheels on, exhaust and tune. Put the 1k a month in your investment account and watch it grow.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MB Coastal
Like you,I have no room for more cars,and my kid will need a car in a year or so. My Turbo has 28k miles and is in perfect condition.
It's about what would make me pretty happy and let me put about $45K to retirement and still drive home with a smile. A $1k or slightly less per month payment is my ballpark.
I really like(but am not limited to a Cabrio).
Can you recommend any cars to fit the bill?
I'm not opposed to a different 997 TT and having the prior owner eat the early depreciation.
I think a 2009 would be the perfect year. New electronics and old(best)engine.
$45k in the bank and drive away with a smile? Well, if you trade the car, you're going to have about $20k to spend. That'll leave you driving a cherry 10 year old WRX STi. Is that really going to work?

Selling the car, putting the money in the bank and then wasting $1k a month doesn't make sense to me. In 2 years, you'll spend $24k plus on car rental. The '08 turbo will not depreciate anywhere near that much.

I originally looked for an '09 because of the better electronics and the better frunk room. Unfortunately, didn't find the right one. An '08 is just as good with a Dension or NAV TV. Getting one now would be a waste of money for something virtually the same and in the worst case, buying someone else's problems after giving up the sorted car you have now.

I've been looking for a '10. The trade up price is not that bad. The improvements are huge. With the PDK, the car is 0-60 in 3 seconds; the 991 turbo isn't any faster. They have also come a long way down the depreciation curve from original prices of $170k. However, you're looking at $100k. Maybe less cost with more miles. Not sure I really want any LESS in the retirement account! Also, there is just a benefit of having less expensive metal on the road with all the nuts and all the potholes!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
As a non-tt owner I wonder how owners of the 997tt feel about the 991tt's elevated price and subtle performance optimizations. I realize each version of the 911tt has been substantially more expensive then a c2s but the 991 version appears to have scaled upward. Does replacing a 997tt with modest mileage at +$185k seem OK ? I'm thinking not of Larry's statement re: fun/balance versus the cost savings. I'm wondering whether the press is on point. Is there anywhere to exploit the tts character and use it as a dd without the sirens chasing you down the highway ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone traded down and remained happy?