997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Has anyone traded down and remained happy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MB Coastal
Thank you for your response. It was very well thought out.
I'm thinking keep the Turbo for another year and maybe reconsider next year.
She should be worth about the same. Maybe add a tune and get up to 600hp.
Thanks and good luck with your decision. If I detect that you are trying to add some excitement to the Turbo, IMHO, the suspension - NOT engine - is the first component that I would modify, with either stiffer lowering springs or coilovers. 997.1 TT's archilles heel is its very soft and mushy suspension and steering response and the flawed PASM 1, changing to coiloverfor me (YMMV) transformed the Turbo to a *completely* different and vastly more fun car.

M3/M4 is another car with a huge pedigree and you can't go wrong with it. To me it is THE best sports sedan in the world (more "fun" than both Panamara and Tesla for example) and stock for stock, I actually prefer the M3's tighter suspension and faster steering to my Turbo.
2 things to consider though:
1. The new 3 series's electric steering is DEVOID of all feedback and feels like a family sedan. It is by far the worst BMW steering feel I've experienced. I hope/imagine the new M3's steering will have better feel and less assist, but be careful if this is the car you are considering and take a few test drives before buying.
2. The new M3/M4 will have a turbo engine, powerful, but is (obviously) not the fantastic V8 in previous generation M3.
With 1 and 2 combined, it is in fact the E9x series M that is *much* more desireable for my taste. As a used car, you will of course save even more money; it's a BMW so make sure you get extended warranty.

Last edited by cannga; 02-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks and good luck with your decision. If I detect that you are trying to add some excitement to the Turbo, IMHO, the suspension - NOT engine - is the first component that I would modify, with either stiffer lowering springs or coilovers. 997.1 TT's archilles heel is its very soft and mushy suspension and steering response and the flawed PASM 1, changing to coiloverfor me (YMMV) transformed the Turbo to a *completely* different and vastly more fun car.

M3/M4 is another car with a huge pedigree and you can't go wrong with it. To me it is THE best sports sedan in the world (more "fun" than both Panamara and Tesla for example) and stock for stock, I actually prefer the M3's tighter suspension and faster steering to my Turbo.
2 things to consider though:
1. The new 3 series's electric steering is DEVOID of all feedback and feels like a family sedan. It is by far the worst BMW steering feel I've experienced. I hope/imagine the new M3's steering will have better feel and less assist, but be careful if this is the car you are considering and take a few test drives before buying.
2. The new M3/M4 will have a turbo engine, powerful, but is (obviously) not the fantastic V8 in previous generation M3.
With 1 and 2 combined, it is in fact the E9x series M that is *much* more desireable for my taste. As a used car, you will of course save even more money; it's a BMW so make sure you get extended warranty.
It sounds like TPCs new option could be the most effective and least expensive way to fix the PASM. My car is stock and I would agree, it could handle better. Waiting for that group buy...

Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thackl
It sounds like TPCs new option could be the most effective and least expensive way to fix the PASM. My car is stock and I would agree, it could handle better. Waiting for that group buy...
Sure, for anyone interested, there are 3 ways you could modify the stock 997.1 Turbo suspension:
1. Modify the damper (by altering the PASM program)
2. Modify the spring (by using lowering springs)
3. Modify both spring and damper (by using coilover, Bilstein, Ohlin, KW, etc.)

How much is the TPC program? Does it cost much less than lowering springs, around 1500 installed? Lowering springs have additional advantage of lowering the car about 20mm, which makes the car both looks better and handles better.

It would be extremely interesting to see a comparison of TPC program versus lowering springs.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cannga
Sure, for anyone interested, there are 3 ways you could modify the stock 997.1 Turbo suspension:
1. Modify the damper (by altering the PASM program)
2. Modify the spring (by using lowering springs)
3. Modify both spring and damper (by using coilover, Bilstein, Ohlin, KW, etc.)

How much is the TPC program? Does it cost much less than lowering springs, around 1500 installed? Lowering springs have additional advantage of lowering the car about 20mm, which makes the car both looks better and handles better.

It would be extremely interesting to see a comparison of TPC program versus lowering springs.
It's $1200 and we are hoping for better on a group buy. The roads here barely allow my stock ride to clear and I often scrape anyway. Lowering is not a good option for me

Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
MB Coastal is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys for helping me with answers. I live near the coast. No twistys or hills.
I would consider a slightly used M3 or S63AMG.
Had a couple of BMW 335i before my 997S(before I had the Turbo).
In many ways I enjoyed the Bimmer more than the 997S. First,the electronics(Sat radio and bluetooth were better,and the cabin was quieter). Also,because of the 50/50 weight,the BMW made me feel like I was w great (ok,good)driver. After spinning out a few times in my Carrera S, I realized I'm not so great The TT w 4WD makes me feel great again.

We have had rough weather recently and I'll test a few cars soon,but leaning to keeping my baby for another year!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00141.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	336840  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Keep your car and enjoy it! For the money you can get out of it, you can not buy another car with anywhere near the same performance. Every once and a while I think, because I barely drive my car, that I should sell it. Then I come to my senses and remember that I have a really awesome car and it is a blast to drive. I don't think anybody could be happy trading down from a 911tt.

Last edited by mattgarrett; 02-21-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thank you guys for helping me with answers. I live near the coast. No twistys or hills.
In many ways I enjoyed the Bimmer more than the 997S. First,the electronics(Sat radio and bluetooth were better,and the cabin was quieter). Also,because of the 50/50 weight,the BMW made me feel like I was w great (ok,good)driver. After spinning out a few times in my Carrera S, I realized I'm not so great The TT w 4WD makes me feel great again.

We have had rough weather recently and I'll test a few cars soon,but leaning to keeping my baby for another year!
Looks like a nice one. I had an 11 m3 before my turbo. Yes, electronics were better. Yes it was quieter. Balanced yes, but lousy traction control would come on WAY before you could ever spin the car. Totally boring under 5k rpm. How often can you wind it out to 8k around town?

The turbo at 2k rpm? You hit it and at 3k, it throws you back in your seat. Always a rush. Even in the 40 mph zone. Not balanced? Wrong. You drive it differently. Slow in and fast out. An m3 you can enter the turn faster, but you need to hold the speed. With a 911, you trail brake to enter the turn and then stand in the gas. The big rear tires sink in and your exit speed is incredible.

Keep your car and go to the porsche school in AL. You will unlock the potential and fall in love with your car all over again.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM

M3 and 335i.. both great DDs, not even in the same discussion as 997tt. Still have a JB4/DCI 335 in my garage

Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 AM
It's $1200 and we are hoping for better on a group buy. The roads here barely allow my stock ride to clear and I often scrape anyway. Lowering is not a good option for me
That's a great price - so about 300 less than lowering springs. If you are the nutty "motorsports" type, you might want to see if you could get a test ride in a car with TPC mod before making a decision, to see if the stiffening is enough for your taste.

Adjusting damping force to improve handling is limited by the decrease of compliance that it will cause. On a basic level, on any evaluation of suspension mod, you will look for a decrease in body roll at high speed cornering (improved HANDLING), without too much of worsening of the RIDE.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:15 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
"Has anyone traded down and remained happy? "

That's like asking if you would you be happy dumping Sophia Vergara then dating Roseanne Barr!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by blackbull
"Has anyone traded down and remained happy? "

That's like asking if you would you be happy dumping Sophia Vergara then dating Roseanne Barr!!!
Not a fair comparison. More like going from hot, super hard body, slightly high maintenance, competitive, athletic chic to a regular hot chick you could meet anywhere. Many are more satisfied with the lower maintenance hotty

Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 PM
MB Coastal is on a distinguished road
Not a fair comparison. More like going from hot, super hard body, slightly high maintenance, competitive, athletic chic to a regular hot chick you could meet anywhere. Many are more satisfied with the lower maintenance hotty
Exactly!