997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Has anyone traded down and remained happy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM
MB Coastal is on a distinguished road
Has anyone traded down and remained happy?

I have a 2008 TT Cabrio Tip. I LOVE my car. I get the grin(you guys know what I mean)every time I'm walking up to her and every time my right food pushes down!
Problem is...I have a lot of equity in my car. A smart person would sell the car and get another car.Put more than a few bucks toward retirement. Now,I could get a pretty cool car. Carrera S(which I had before and is NOT a Turbo!),or an M3,or even a new Corvette.

I drive for 20 minutes,car sits all day,then I drive 20 min home and she sits all night. Now the drive home does take the stress of the day away!

So,what would the 6speeders do? Which other car would make you happy?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I hardly ever drive my Turbo . In fact i rarely post in this section anymore but i still love my car . Even if i drive it once a week I grin .

That said I kept the car . I had two M3 cars . They are not the same . In fact I got bored with them over time . When i went to trade in my M3 I thought I would buy a 991 S . On the day i went to order the car I fell in love with the new Boxster S . I am not just content driving it evey day I actually have more fun driving it than my Turbo.

My reasons are as follows :

1) The mid engine is so balanced . Granted .. the car is not as fast as my M3 cars were and not even close to my Turbo but I have found joy in the handling precision of the mid engine car .

2) Less expensive car = less worry . When i bought my Turbo i felt it was simply too over the top for a city setting . Road construction and debris, shopping carts at the supermarket , shopping malls , and sharing the roads with the lowest common denominator of driving skill just isn't the greatest place for a 140+$$$ modifications K car .

3) The new car has technology and dd comforts. Plus the Boxster is a great convertible . The cabin space is small enough to reduce wind exposure . The door sills are the ideal ride height . It truly is such a pure roadster .

I don't view it as though I am trading down . After all i still have my Turbo . But i can easily just have my Boxster S and be just fine with it .

Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Larry,your opinion is most valuable. My car is my dd and only car. My wife has a sedan(385 hp Jag). My car needs to get me to work and home in a good climate(I'm from South Fl,but live in SC).
Would you use the Boxster as a DD if it was your only car? I drove one recently at a dealer. I liked it,but the torque! I'm so confused!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MB Coastal
Larry,your opinion is most valuable. My car is my dd and only car. My wife has a sedan(385 hp Jag). My car needs to get me to work and home in a good climate(I'm from South Fl,but live in SC).
Would you use the Boxster as a DD if it was your only car? I drove one recently at a dealer. I liked it,but the torque! I'm so confused!
I do use my Boxster S daily . We also have a Cayenne and my girlfriend is the primary driver of it but if we need a larger vehicle we have one . It's the turbo that's actually misplaced . I love the car . I can't imagine selling the car .

In fact keeping the car and buying a boxster S is about equal in cost to trading a 6 year old Turbo for a high spec 991S . I'm just not thrilled with the 991 enough .I felt very differently when the 997 replaced the 996.

I had never given the previous generation Boxster a second look . In the past the 997 was so much more desireable . Times have changed though !!! The new Boxster IS the real deal !!

It will not have tthe massive torque of a Turbo but it also is so engaging and raw . On a nice day with the top down it's almost like a go cart in an Armani suit . It's got all the comforts and with the top up its quiet and almost coupe like .

If I bought a 991S on the day I decided on the Boxster I would have spent 50K more to have a car that isn't as great as my Turbo . That was a dealbreaker for me . If i loved the 991 I would have wanted to sell my Turbo and i just could not do it . So I opted for variety .

If you kept the Turbo -
1) You would have the sedan (the practical car) .
2) The torque monster (and can preserve mileage and longevity) .
3) And an added a mid engine roadster .

That's sounds pretty nice !!

Supposing you sell the Turbo and take the depreciation hit to buy an BMW M car (pics of my previous 08 black car and 11 white M3 below -- both gone) or a 991S or just opt to save money with a less expensive car . None of these options sound bad . Savings is always great .

With the three cars above there is always the option in the future to make it two cars . I keep waiting for the day that i would want to sell one of mine but i am just having too much fun with all of them to do it today .

I hope this helps !! I wish you the best in whatever you decide works best for your driving needs .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	boxster.png
Views:	141
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	331293   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxster8.png
Views:	153
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	331294   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW&Turbo004.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	974.6 KB
ID:	331295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	331296   Click image for larger version

Name:	cayenne6.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	678.3 KB
ID:	331297  

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-08-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I use my 2007 tt every day, even in the winter (in Sweden), if I didnt need the rear seats (drops the little ones in the morning) I consider a 2014 Cayman S. Sure it lacks the power of the tt but getting a new car at almost the price of a 997.1tt combined with how much fun it is to drive, I had a cayman s for a week during some warranty work on the turbo.

I recommend all 997.1 owners to at least try the new cheap S models (boxster/cayman), less power but not less fun imo...

Old 02-09-2014, 01:14 AM
yah996 will become famous soon enoughyah996 will become famous soon enough
I 'm currently driving an 997.1TT coupe 6speed and and 987.2 Boxster Spyder PDK.
For me, a 991S is a bad mixture of both cars. Even I do not like a 4 seater Cabrio anyway (we say "cabrio" in Germany).

Keep the 997TT a take a look on a 987 Spyder. Drive the car and you will see.
K.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
After looking at a 991 C4S and several other 991's I'm keeping my TT. My Cayenne GTS is my weather DD and my recently purchased 2011 BMW 135i M-Sport 6 speed will become my DD fun (and soon to be track) car when the weather improves. Agree too that the 2014 Cayman/Boxster S is an awesome car and perhaps (according to a lot of reviews) equal to or better than a 997 or 991. IMO the days of large cars and SUV's are slipping away and future (within 10 years) cars will be much smaller fuel efficient hybrids, electrics, and perhaps fuel cell.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for your well thought out answers. I need to drive the new Boxster again. The problem is the dealer is 2 hours away. Have any of you seen/driven the new Corvette Stingray?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Although I've never driven the new C7 it's arguably the best Corvette GM has ever produced. It certainly answers a lot of the complaints left over from the C5 and C6, especially those related to interior quality and ergonomic issues. I've seen a few and interestingly they are already used ones for sale at Carmax. Because it's new and first year production I personally would pass and wait another year for GM to correct early and as yet to-be-discovered design and mechanical problems/issues. But, the newly announced ZO6 really does look interesting and inviting. If you're seriously looking for a good DD replacement that's fun to own, drive, economical, reliable and hold's it's value I would consider a 2011 BMW 335iS (not i) 6-speed, M-Sport or an Audi S5 V8 6-speed. I've driven both and they are a great blend of performance, DD comfort, and, you can carry three passengers.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Keep your turbo you will regret the lack of power in the 991 and even more so in the Boxster. Plus your turbo is not worth much more than the new Corvette when you add in tax and license.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Test drive a C7 with the Z51. If that doesn't do it for you, keep the turbo.......

Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 PM
nota_troll will become famous soon enoughnota_troll will become famous soon enough
Consider your turbo as part of your retirement. Depending on how much you paid you may haven't got much depreciation left in it. Our cars a very desirable in any circle. Having said this I think an E90 M3 is a smart buy once the new ones are out. Or save some big bucks and get a STI.

Last edited by nota_troll; 02-09-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Dont do it

I have a car problem and get a new car for both the wife and myself about ever 12 to 18 months.......

Every time I have traded out of a TT to something else, I have gone back to a TT in less than a year.

Examples

2002 TT coupe - traded in for c2s cab (No turbo cabs back then) - sold in 9 months and back into a TT

2006 TT cab - sold for a Jag XKS Convertible (Beautiful sexy car) - sold in 11 months and back into a TT

2011 TT cab - sold and got a SL63. I loved everything about the Mercedes except it was slower, heaver, and did not like driving with the top down. A real comfort car. I was hit head on in a parking lot by a lady texting (About 20 MPH) and there was $17k worth of damage to the car. I was not hurt thank god. When I picked it up from the shop, I drove over to the Porsche dealer and ended up with a 2013 TTs coupe, which is my current car and I'm back in bliss again.

The bottom line- there is no replacement for a TT!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Exacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the rough
Personally, I don't think one would be happy to trade down. For sure you will miss your old car. I honestly haven't done this, but I would imagine that I would regret it.

You seem to be doing this for financial reasons. I've always believed that the cost of the car is its depreciation. 2008 TT, seems to have gone through most of it's depreciation. Trading to a newer car, but of cheaper value, is not necessarily helping towards your retirement savings...in fact you may expose yourself to more depreciation. Trading to a lesser performing but newer car is a double whammy...less performance and also more depreciation cost.

From a financial point of view, if you want to have more savings for retirement you need to trade to a car that is closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve, than your 2008 TT...ie. an older car. But, cars older than 2008, that performs similar to 997TT...apart from almost nothing exists, well that could also mean big repair bills.

So on a financial point of view, I don't think you'd gain much by trading your car away. And when you balance that with the fact that you might be losing a lot of JOY from this trade...well, to me it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Exacc
Personally, I don't think one would be happy to trade down. For sure you will miss your old car. I honestly haven't done this, but I would imagine that I would regret it.

You seem to be doing this for financial reasons. I've always believed that the cost of the car is its depreciation. 2008 TT, seems to have gone through most of it's depreciation. Trading to a newer car, but of cheaper value, is not necessarily helping towards your retirement savings...in fact you may expose yourself to more depreciation. Trading to a lesser performing but newer car is a double whammy...less performance and also more depreciation cost.

From a financial point of view, if you want to have more savings for retirement you need to trade to a car that is closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve, than your 2008 TT...ie. an older car. But, cars older than 2008, that performs similar to 997TT...apart from almost nothing exists, well that could also mean big repair bills.

So on a financial point of view, I don't think you'd gain much by trading your car away. And when you balance that with the fact that you might be losing a lot of JOY from this trade...well, to me it just doesn't seem worthwhile.
+1
For the most part I think our 997's have plateaued in value. Also, stacking up miles on a newer car would have a greater impact in depreciation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone traded down and remained happy?