997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Can you figure out who tuned your car from durametric data logging?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
Can you figure out who tuned your car from durametric data logging?

So it appears my car isn't stock...car was purchased CPO.

I finally did some durametric data logging (took me awhile to figure it out between having to install the windows software on a mac and that I had to calculate boost from a couple different values). It appears I'm peaking at around 22psi of boost which is in line with a tune using the following calculation: (Pressure ahead of throttle plate- Ambient pressure)/1000)*14.5037738)

I suppose I'll run a full diagnostic and post up here for forum input, but what values would one need? Is it possible to play detective and figure it out?

It was also late and I was only able to do a couple of third gear runs by the time I got all the data correctly logging.

So, if it was a respected tuner or not, I suppose if I post values some people with solid knowledge can give me feedback on whether I leave it on or not? Other option is send the ECU to FVD to flash back to stock and then tune off that...but what's the point if it already has a decent setup on it?

I've attached a PDF which I realize doesn't have all the data on it...also the boost seems to fluctuate. Should this be a concern?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014_03_17_21_04_59.pdf (52.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM
roybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really nice
Originally Posted by brent95m3

I finally did some durametric data logging (took me awhile to figure it out between having to install the windows software on a mac and that I had to calculate boost from a couple different values). It appears I'm peaking at around 22psi of boost which is in line with a tune using the following calculation: (Pressure ahead of throttle plate- Ambient pressure)/1000)*14.5037738)

I suppose I'll run a full diagnostic and post up here for forum input, but what values would one need? Is it possible to play detective and figure it out?

It was also late and I was only able to do a couple of third gear runs by the time I got all the data correctly logging.

So, if it was a respected tuner or not, I suppose if I post values some people with solid knowledge can give me feedback on whether I leave it on or not? Other option is send the ECU to FVD to flash back to stock and then tune off that...but what's the point if it already has a decent setup on it?

I've attached a PDF which I realize doesn't have all the data on it...also the boost seems to fluctuate. Should this be a concern?
I think the concern w/ leaving it as is is that it would have no support and you can't get the tune modified if you decide to add anything that requires it. IMO there is little concern that the tune on the car is 'bad' - haven't ever heard of such a thing in the year I've been reading this forum.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !

I suppose I'll run a full diagnostic and post up here for forum input, but what valuens would one need? Is it possible to play detective and figure it out?

Cannot tell the tune from Durametric. What you can do is have a dealer flash it to the latest firmware/software version for 1 hour labor. Then tune anywhere you like with no issues.

Goo luck.
DC

Last edited by therock88; 03-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Here's a way to rule out one tuner. If you know anyone that has a GIAC flashloader, you can plug that into the OBDII port and see if it reads. If it does, then you'll know you have GIAC software. If it does not read, well then you can at least rule out GIAC...because the flashloader would read if the software was GIAC.

That could at least narrow it down by 1.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute

In my logs (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fvd-tune.html ), I also had a few times where the boost was much higher than expected/allowed right after the I came off the throttle at full boost - it would usually give me a single reading close to 3psi over the previous reading, which I treated as an anomoly. If you ignore the 22.99 number, you are closer to right at 20psi, which is very close to what my FVD tuned 997.1 does in sport mode. This is a 997.2, yes?

I would also log IAT and EGT.

I don't think there's a way to tell what specific tune you have by just looking at durametric.

However, most tuners will keep track of the VIN, so I suppose you could call FVD, Softronic, etc. and provide the VIN to see if they have tuned the car before.

I did this once to verify that Softronic had NOT tuned a car that I was looking at.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Steve_TT has a spectacular aura aboutSteve_TT has a spectacular aura about

If you want, datalog engine speed, mass air flow (MAF) and intake-air temperature from 2000 to 6500 rpm at wide open throttle in 3rd gear and attach the excel and I`ll compare your mystery tune to my Softronic. The data will give volumetric efficiency, a proxy for power (I gleaned this from the Area Under the Curve topic).

Last edited by Steve_TT; 03-18-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Clarification - use 3rd gear for datalog
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Steve_TT
If you want, datalog engine speed, mass air flow (MAF) and intake-air temperature from 2000 to 6500 rpm at wide open throttle in 3rd gear and attach the excel and I`ll compare your mystery tune to my Softronic. The data will give volumetric efficiency, a proxy for power (I gleaned this from the Area Under the Curve topic).
Ill do a more thorough durametric read when I'm back in town and post on this thread. Also, a 3rd gear pull to redline. I guess as long as my numbers look good, I'll likely just keep it. No need in redoing a tune unless by some off chance the dealer reflashes it. Also, I may have some warranty claim to stand on (CPO) since it came like that from the dealer.

I may try to find the old owner(s) from maintenance logs and email them too.

I raced a Ferrari FF yesterday from a stoplight 0-90 and we ran even. I'm happier than a pig in **** that I ran with a 650hp Ferrari.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Did the dealer say if had been flashed and make a note on the bill of sale ? Just wondering for warranty purposes

Personally unless I knew which flash it had I would get it flashed by a reputable shop, I guess you could argue its a waste of money but it would let me sleep at night

Old 03-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Usually if you had a Softronic flash in the car you should have a cable that says Softronic on it and is married to the car . You should also have the two files that have the VIN on them such as "Tuned WP0AD29978Sxxxxxx" and "Original WP0AD29978Sxxxxxx". The owner of the car would pass this along in a sale or state it had a Softronic flash and contact us if there was any confusion.

Softronic doesn't release information on VIN's as it is privacy issue to the owner of the car in which it was sold to.

Best Regards,
Scott

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Was the car run in Sport for the log? If so run it in Non-Sport and log :

RPM, Load, Ignition timing , lamda B1 or B2 and boost pressure

Best,
Scott

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Softronic
Was the car run in Sport for the log? If so run it in Non-Sport and log :

RPM, Load, Ignition timing , lamda B1 or B2 and boost pressure

Best,
Scott
I don't have a sport mode. I'll redo the test with the rest of those values and see what everyone thinks of the results. Even if it's a mystery tune, as long as the educated here think the values look good, I'll keep it.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Previous owner emailed. Mystery solved...giac tune along with champion intercoolers! It's like the car lottery.

Unfortunately as part of CPO, tubi and k40 were both removed.

What kind of hp do you think I might have with tune, exhaust, and intercoolers?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Cool

Unfortunately I think the intercoolers may have been removed. Can you tell from this photo if they're factory or aftermarket?

Either way, it's comforting to know I have a solid tune.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	349883  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
It LOOKs like plastic end caps to me...champion definitely doesn't have plastic end caps....so looks like someone swapped them out.

That would have been a MAJOR score!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Previous owner emailed. Mystery solved...giac tune along with champion intercoolers! It's like the car lottery.

Unfortunately as part of CPO, tubi and k40 were both removed.

What kind of hp do you think I might have with tune, exhaust, and intercoolers?
Glad to hear you got some info about the car. I think that many dealers allow the service guys to remove extra stuff when a car comes in for resale. Hard to figure out why a K40 would impact CPO. I purchased a 2008 CPO and found the K40 remote on the floor of the car - nothing else though until I was pairing my wife's iPhone in the garage on another car and I kept seeing a K40 Bluetooth device show up. Finally found one K40 BT box in the rear driver's side of the taillight on the TT.

Did they CPO your car with the tune??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can you figure out who tuned your car from durametric data logging?