997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just installed a Gen.2 steering wheel into my Gen.1 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed a Gen.2 steering wheel into my Gen.1 997

Hi,

As the title explains, I have just finished swapping over my steering wheels.

I've wanted to do this for a while now, and I actually bought the GT3 steering wheel about a year ago but never managed to get the correct airbag until today.

The wheel I have fitted is supposed to be a GT3 wheel although I just saw a standard looking wheel with alcantara which is what I was looking for. Really I wanted the yellow strip at 12 o'clock but couldn't find one with it.

Anyway it was pretty straight forward to do.

You will need a T-55 Spline socket (like a torx but with 12 teeth) to remove the bolt holding the wheel in place, this was actually a little tricky to find.

Removing old wheel
Step 1. Ensure wheels are pointing straight and disconnect battery and leave car for ten minutes
Step 2. Use an allen key or something like it to insert in the hole underneath the wheel to allow the airbag to pop out.
Step 3. Pull airbag out and disconnect wires on back.
Step 4. Disconnect wheel electrics from socket.
Step 5. Unscrew bolt to free wheel.
Step 6. Remove old wheel

Fitting new wheel
Step 1. Seat new wheel in place making sure it's lined up, tighten bolt firmly.
Step 2. Connect plug and connect airbag wires to new airbag.
Step 3. Insert new airbag and push until it clicks in place.
Step 4. Reconnect battery.
Step 5. Test horn as depending on the wheel you removed it might not work.

OK if you fit the new wheel to get the horn to work the car needs to be programmed as if it had a multi function wheel. Don't know why but that's what I read on another forum during my research.

The good news is if you (like me) already had a multi function wheel then no programming is needed, it's a straight swap. Also there was talk on another fourm that you needed a control unit from the old wheel, but this is not the case. I think that is only if the new wheel you fit is also a MF wheel (then you need the gen.2 control unit).

If you are unlucky like me and get an airbag warning when you start the car up then you'll need to get it reset by someone with PIWIS. If you fit it correctly without issue this step should be avoidable.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3835_zpsd0df6f7e.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	392539  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! I am itching to do it too but I want multifunction. What I would really love is a .1 XPA wheel but with multifunction. To me it's silly that the .1 sportier wheels were not MFC and the crap stock/triangle one is (optionally). WTF.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 AM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
The only time I ever used those buttons was by mistake when on full lock and the first I knew was when my music changed track! Never intentionally used the buttons.

You can get a MF version of this wheel. Actually it's a kit you buy from Suncoastparts. Click here

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc03139x.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	392637  

Last edited by isysman; 06-29-2014 at 03:00 AM.