997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Real life maintenance experiences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Real life maintenance experiences

Hey everyone,

I think it would be helpful (to me and other future 997tt owners with the p-car bug) if current owners could kindly chime in with the following info. I want to see what the real world is experiencing, what is hearsay what is not, and would like to know what to expect wrt to maintenance. Thanks!

1a) MY of 997tt; year and mileage when bought 997
1b) Automatic or manual transmission?
2) Current mileage of 997
3) Repair issues if any, and cost related to issues
4) Any aftermarket warranty bought and price paid for the warranty
5) How long do you plan to keep your 997tt?
5) If you had to do it over again, would you have bought another 997tt?

Last edited by docboy; 12-22-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added transmission line
Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
I looked for 1 year before I found the right car for me... It is fully loaded be it's all the little details that I like the best.....you would think with 600hp I would drool over performance but piano black seat backs yellow stitching pccb..are the extras I like the most after I take car cover off....btw my car has 9200mls...2008 and just do my reg oil change every year..my warranty will be running out soon don't plan on extending ....

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Jamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the rough
1. MY 2008; purchased July/2014 with 49,xxx miles (2nd owner)
2. Current mileage: 50,xxx
3. Rear tires ($700), vacuum leak and faulty oil pressure switch ($1,300)
4. No aftermarket warranty - now wondering if it was a good idea
5. Would do it all over again - sometimes I miss the high revving NA, but there's nothing like that slingshot feel from the turbos

Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM
ambroses is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone,

1) 2007 bought with 62k
2) 63k
3) Great PPI and 60k maintenance done on my dime -- coolant pipe popped out (a surprise) so in the shop getting them all welded. Also am addressing the clutch slave weakness with the gt2 conversion.
4) no warranty
5) How long do you plan to keep your 997tt? Forever!
5) Yes I'd do it over again!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 AM
997.2 TTS will become famous soon enough
My over 30 years of German and Italian car ownership has caused me to develop the following adage: Never own a post-OBDII European car without a warranty or service contract.

Last edited by 997.2 TTS; 08-24-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Topher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really nice
1) MY of 997tt; year and mileage when bought 997
Bought last year (2008) CPO WITH 14,000 miles
2) Current mileage of 997
About 18,000 miles
3) Repair issues if any, and cost related to issues
Coolant leak (repaired locally with cash out of my pocket, I forget the price) added ECU upgrade and it was recommended to replace spark plugs (about $600 to replace)
I added a ECU upgrade (about $2,000) and Kline exhaust. Ilove the additional HP and it's a ROCKET and I feel like the king of the road. I now have a slight gear change hesitation between gears under hard acceleration but I am still happy with the ECU upgrade (it's a Tiptronic)
4) Any aftermarket warranty bought and price paid for the warranty
Was CPO so I'm sure I paid extra when I purchased the car
5) How long do you plan to keep your 997tt?
Not sure, I love the car and plan to keep it for a couple years, maybe more.
5) If you had to do it over again, would you have bought another 997tt?
YES, the car is rock solid, has back seats (I came from a Porsche Cayman S), pretty
much the fastest thing on the road and handles great, love the looks, can add tons more HP if desired, great car! I live in a small town and don't get many racing challenges, I guess the turbo emblem scares them LOL.

Chris (Topher)

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Great info guys, and thanks for sharing. Keep it coming!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Had mine from new - breakdown of running costs here - not cheap as a dd:

http://www.pistonheads.com/members/s...sp?carId=56626

Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Bump.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Bought my 997tt new. Have 20k miles on it.

Oil Change Every Year. 9 qts of My
Air Filter
Tires

For such a high performance porsche it's extremely LOW maintenance.

If I recall I had the O2 Sensors replaced in '09. And had my Short Shifter adjusted once. And 1 Set of Tires.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
2007 997.1TT 115,000KM (60K put on by myself) No warranty

Maintenance:

Brakes
oil
spark plugs
Tire PSI senors
Battery
Coolant Pipes just in case
Cleaning of Mass Airflow because of BMC (Subsequently threw away BMC)
Clutch
Many tires

Issues:
Mysterious coolant leak in the winter that dissipated
Oil leak by filter housing
Blew non weldable coolent line
Blew driver side turbo
Replaced front drive shaft
Replaced front axles
Broke front diff
Replaced MAF's

Mods:
GT2 Intercoolers
No cat exhaust
H&R Spring
Denison (very problematic)
Cobb stage two flash

Last edited by mikestyle; 10-28-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Updated for accurace (**** broke)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Rengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really nice
1) MY 2007; Bought a couple months ago with 37,000 miles.
2) Currently around 40,000 miles.
3) So far
- New Front Tires (~$700)
- New Battery ($200)
- Spark Plugs ($900)
- Door latch assembly replacement - window wouldn't roll down when door opened, I'm told this was the microswitch failure in the door latch. Supposedly quite common on these cars. ($400)
- Miscellaneous - Oil Filter change, Wheel alignment ($300)
4) Didn't have any original warranty left, and debated on whether to get aftermarket warranty. So far, with what I've had done, had I gotten the warranty, it would have probably only covered the Door latch replacement.
5) Loving it, Don't think I'd ever grow tired of that power. Will probably keep it till the day I die.
5) Hell yes! So far, any issues that have cropped up haven't been too out of the ordinary, so maintenance wise, I can live with it. *knock on wood*

Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Bump.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
1) MY 2007, purchased with only 1800 miles on it in 2009. Car is 6 speed manual.

2) Current mileage: 9200 miles

3) Only had to replace tire pressure monitors sensors on all 4 wheels, $600. These sensors have batteries inside and last only 5 years...

4) Went with 6 year Fidelity Platinum Warranty, cost depends on mileage and year of car and whether it is still under warranty when buying extended warranty. I paid around $2500 back in 2011...Call Christine Takla at Circle Porsche and she will beat anyone out there (562) 597-3663 x1030.

5) Plan on keeping it for at least another 5 years. Car is a garage queen, flawless, Sunday driver. May consider Turbo S down road but not convinced of the PDK transmission. I like the third pedal...

5) Never regretted going from regular Carrera to Turbo...The Turbo acceleration and brute power is pretty amazing <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Real life maintenance experiences