997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo or 997.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
997.1 Turbo or 997.1 GT3

I just recently sold my 997 C2S Cab, I am debating between 997.1 TT or 997.1 GT3, I am not very familiar with the Turbo but read some very good review about it engine bullet proof. Can some of you steer me in the right direction and hopefully I can become a regular on this board too. Thank in advance.
FYI - This car gonna be use as my weekend on a sunny day, third car.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Both cars have the Mezger engine under the hood (obviously in much different states of tune) and both would be fine in the use you suggest. The GT3 has a firmer suspension, higher reving (better sounding) motor, no back seats and needs to be wound out a bit for the best part of the power band. The Turbo has a more comfortable ride, more grunt that is available much lower in the rev band, and has the back seats.

I've got family on Oahu so I go there quite a bit. I'm guessing zero track time for the car and the occasional short burst of speed. In my opinion the Turbo is better suited to that, but I'd recommend you test drive both cars to see which you enjoy more.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
In a straight line especially at lower rpm, Turbo will pass GT3 as if it's standing still. No exaggeration. Once you experience this low end torque that is like a missile, you will never forget it. This is more of touring car with incredible low end thrust. That "thrust" does NOT get old.
In curves/corners, the GT3 will kill a Turbo without suspension mod. It has better steering feel. This is a bad boy racer, among best in the world for the track. Heavy clutch, better exhaust sound, definitely not a touring car to go out with the wife :-). Watch out for leaking RMS problem.

They are so different that you will have to own one, then the other, to experience both. One is not better than the other.

Or... the neutral step, you could get a Turbo and change its coilover and add R compound tire, to come closer to GT3 suspension. This is what some of us, including me, have done, and I think we are way happy. ;-)

Last edited by cannga; 11-24-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Really depends on what you want it for. I've had a sorted 996TT and now 997.1 GT3. Both great cars. I think it's a GT2 for the win or keep both! Agree on the torque- the turbo is pretty incredible AND well mannered. GT3 is fast and will make you a better driver. Both fantastic-

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Thank you gentlemen, I am really enjoy reading this comments, especially from real owners perspective. Please keep it coming.
Ray - Yes sir, there is no track in Honolulu and you only can do a very short burst on the freeway (H2 or H3) in Honolulu. This car is just gonna be a fun weekend toy for me.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Meshari will become famous soon enoughMeshari will become famous soon enough
GT3, from what you posted this is going to be a weekend car, so I believe a Turbo is a daily driver, even if it is a manual.

Note that you'll be missing on: a turbo, an understeer AWD. I'd say a comfertable ride but do you need comforter ride at the weekends when you wanna enjoy your time?

What you'll gain: Exhaust in a position that distinguish sports from normal cars, you can drive or track and be happy, a RWD that is just ready to go, I'm currently Looking for an GT3RS, I can't say I miss the Turbo as I got bored of it. and that was like 4 years ago.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Faisal997 is on a distinguished road
Well imo you cannot compare both cars as the GT3 is NA and the turbo is turbo charger obviously.

When talking about weekend/leisure drive I would go for the turbo. Im a Turbo owner and I drive it on weekends only and man its so much fun driving it specially when the turbo kicks !!
the GT3 is an amazing cars on the corners, it is basically legal track car with all its dynamics and suspsension specifications.

I would totally go for the turbo,,,, and good luck

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Right now in the market, the turbo is a much better value for the price.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
For driving in Hawaii the turbo is better. From my week of driving around the island i can say for certain i would rather have the turbo. The handling is just fine/ie great for most drivers and on the island you wont get to experience the true nature of the gt3 imo. For that small a space and the traffic there all you will get is short bursts.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:20 PM
brent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the roughbrent95m3 is a jewel in the rough
It is much easier to get a Turbo to handle like a GT3 than it is to get a GT3 to Turbo level power. As others have noted, the price of the Turbo is more attractive at the moment.

Turbo needs an exhaust and the TPC suspension module. With those two mods, I'd take it over the GT3 any day. Tune is suggested but not necessary (these things are blazingly fast stock).

Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
wallmon is on a distinguished road
Turbo

Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I am leaning toward the TT now, my daughter love sitting in the back of my car, and we having another baby soon. So TT might be more practical but I already have a DD sedan for the kids commute. GT3 always been on my number one list but will see.....
Cannga - your car look sick bro. What wheels do you have on it? Not a red color guy but your car is so awesome. Can you tell me a littl more about the coil over?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
Thank you gentlemen. I am leaning toward the TT now, my daughter love sitting in the back of my car, and we having another baby soon. So TT might be more practical but I already have a DD sedan for the kids commute. GT3 always been on my number one list but will see.....
Cannga - your car look sick bro. What wheels do you have on it? Not a red color guy but your car is so awesome. Can you tell me a littl more about the coil over?
Hey thanks. The wheel is HRE P40, destined to become HRE's all time best seller :-) http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/p40sc-series/p40sc .

I could tell you much more than a little about coilover! See Bilstein link in my signature. I would drive the car for a few months before deciding on any mod as we are all very different in what we think is "perfect" (personal preference, no wrong or right), but basically there are 3 ways to skin the suspension cats:
1. The excellent TPC module, people love this over stock. Change PASM, but doesn't lower car and you are still with the stock spring and shock.
2. Lowering springs, people love this too :-). Lower car, you are still with the stock shock.
3. Change coilover - more hardcore and complex, but *if* you are thinking about approaching GT3's world class suspension, IMHO this is probably the best approach. You could see extensive discussion in the Bilstein thread mentioned https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/136096-pics-review-my-bilstein-pss10-lowered-red-turbo.html .

If you are buying a used car, this thread might be helpful to you https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-1-turbo.html. Happy and safe Thanksgiving to you and your family (and all 6speeders)!

Last edited by cannga; 11-27-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Thank you canngar and happy thanksgiving to you and your family too

Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Deleted

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	408721  

Last edited by Gotgolf52; 02-01-2015 at 01:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo or 997.1 GT3