997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

LEDs for rear signal light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
LEDs for rear signal light?

Has anyone swapped out the rear signal light on their 997.1 lights for a LED?

I have been contemplating doing this as I cannot stand the orange tint in the rear lenses from the turn signal bulb. Today I swapped out the bulb for a chrome bulb which blinks amber. I think it makes a big difference and really cleans up the rear.

before:

after:

This will likely satisfy me for the time being, but would ultimately prefer to swap to either a white or amber LED in the near future, just curious what others may have done.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
It does look good and cheap to do. Most here have done the complete swap of the entire unit. That will provide you with LED reverse, brake and signal.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
A huge difference, nice job. I have the all red tails, which I love, so I don't have this problem. I always have wondered though, how come we can't use led bulbs in the rear tails again? I'm talking the running lights and brake lights.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:06 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Yep. Looks much better! I hate the amber bulbs/color/look as well. Also not liking regular halogen bulbs anymore either

I have been pretty lucky with mine on LED's. I have replaced every bulb in the car with LED, except the HID Hlamps (I did change them to 6000K to match the bright white LED color). My Tails are the Depo/Dectane version.

Here are the rear tails and other LED's on mine. Yours definitely looks better with the amber removed...

DC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6s2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	411081   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt1s.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	411082  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by acf
A huge difference, nice job. I have the all red tails, which I love, so I don't have this problem. I always have wondered though, how come we can't use led bulbs in the rear tails again? I'm talking the running lights and brake lights.
You can just swap out the bulbs, but need to get the non error CANBUS type, or install the resistors across each bulb wire...Like in the attached diagrams for you.

One thing to note though, is that white LED under the red lens will look pink, so there you should use red LEDs...

DC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bulb Resistor Diagram.gif
Views:	89
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	411083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resisitorlight.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	411084  

Last edited by therock88; 01-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Yep. Looks much better! I hate the amber bulbs/color/look as well. Also not liking regular halogen bulbs anymore either

I have been pretty lucky with mine on LED's. I have replaced every bulb in the car with LED, except the HID Hlamps (I did change them to 6000K to match the bright white LED color). My Tails are the Depo/Dectane version.

Here are the rear tails and other LED's on mine. Yours definitely looks better with the amber removed...

DC
I really like the look of the rear LEDs on your car. I seem to waver back and forth between getting them and not so until i make up my mind one way or the other this should work...

I've swapped out all the bulbs for LEDs inside/out - i love the full LEDs on the front lights instead of just the city light - i may go that route in the future as well

Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kricci
I really like the look of the rear LEDs on your car. I seem to waver back and forth between getting them and not so until i make up my mind one way or the other this should work...

I've swapped out all the bulbs for LEDs inside/out - i love the full LEDs on the front lights instead of just the city light - i may go that route in the future as well
Thanks. I have been happy with them all so far. And I also did all interior and engine bay, and bonnet, and license plate! Not one Halogen bulb left on the car Good luck with your decisions...I think it really gives the car an upgraded, contemporary look.

Take care,
DC

Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks. I have been happy with them all so far. And I also did all interior and engine bay, and bonnet, and license plate! Not one Halogen bulb left on the car Good luck with your decisions...I think it really gives the car an upgraded, contemporary look.

Take care,
DC
I have 1 left that i just noticed today while washing the car - the engine bay - but will be getting that corrected ASAP

Old 07-01-2018, 09:48 AM
malignancy is an unknown quantity at this point
For those who have replaced the stock turn signal with LEDs:

Can you recommend a supplier/part number?

I just bought a pair of "can bus" orange LED's from SuperBrightLEDs.com and they blink at the correct speed **BUT** I still get the dash error and the turn indicator on the dash blinks really fast (annoying).

The canbus was supposed to solve this issue. All other LED's I bought from them work just fine.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 AM
realking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud ofrealking has much to be proud of
Same problem here with my 997.2 and I am using SuperBrightLEDs.com too. Dash error (!) and fast blinking on the dash.

Which supplier and which part number to eliminate this? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
See my post above. You will have to use the resistors if you do not want the error message. Canbus or not.

DC

Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
See my post above. You will have to use the resistors if you do not want the error message. Canbus or not.

DC
Thanks for the reply! Can you recommend a supply/part number, please? I'm not big on cutting my factory wire so I'd want to make sure the resistors are REALLY going to work.
I bought a set of very highly rated (and expensive $50/pair) of can bus LED's off amazon and had the same issue as the superBrightLEDs.com.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by malignancy
Thanks for the reply! Can you recommend a supply/part number, please? I'm not big on cutting my factory wire so I'd want to make sure the resistors are REALLY going to work.
I bought a set of very highly rated (and expensive $50/pair) of can bus LED's off amazon and had the same issue as the superBrightLEDs.com.

Thanks in advance.
Sure....

For the splicing....Most unobtrusive approach is Posi-Taps. See here

Any of these resistors should work 50 W 6 Ohm(Car thinks it has a bulb with lumens causing resistance) . See Here

DC

Old 07-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Sure....

For the splicing....Most unobtrusive approach is Posi-Taps. See here

Any of these resistors should work 50 W 6 Ohm(Car thinks it has a bulb with lumens causing resistance) . See Here

DC
Thanks, DC! I can turn my own wrenches but things that spark aren't my forte. :-)

I appreciate it!