997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo LED Tail Light Internal Condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Turbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the rough
997 Turbo LED Tail Light Internal Condensation

There has recently been great deal of controversy on the 996 Turbo/GT2 forum about his new 996 Turbo / GT2 LED tail lights that were released about a month ago. There are multiple reports of visible internal condensation. The concern is not cosmetic and that this condensation will corrode and cause failure of the LED's. The manufacturer JAD said that this is normal. It would be helpful if we could get feedback from 997.1 and 997.2 owners to determine whether the 997.1 owners who converted to LED's are having the same problem and if the 997.2 owners who have OEM LED's are experiencing visible internal condensation.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
I have stockers in my 997.1 turbo. That said, I have condensation with the headlights when I drive in 5c and below weather

Old 02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
I have stock incandescent tails on my 997.1 turbo. I've never noticed any condensation in them.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
I have had LED's for some time. I did initially get some condensation in really cold weather...I took them out and vented them with tubing (since LED's do not create enough heat to dry out the moisture). Since then, I have never had the issue again that I am aware of.

I simply unplugged the two plugged spots and attached tubing. There are several threads about it on here somewhere too.

Good luck,
DC

Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Turbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the roughTurbo Fever is a jewel in the rough
Thank You

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jako
I have stockers in my 997.1 turbo. That said, I have condensation with the headlights when I drive in 5c and below weather
Thank you

Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 AM
shahhm will become famous soon enoughshahhm will become famous soon enough
This happened to me and it's NOT normal

I currently have a 997.2 but previously owned a 2008 Audi S5. I was hit once from behind which caused me to bump the car in front of me. The only damage done to the car (seen by the insurance company) was a scratch on the bumper and nothing else. As time went on in the coming weeks...I noticed my front right light housing started to get condensation on the inside. I brought it to 3 different Audi Dealerships and all of them dismissed it and said it was "normal". The last one I brought it to (Audi in Willow Grove, Pa) found that the light housing was cracked on the inside. I also only had condensation at extremes of temperatures but as many of you probably know, that car has a strip of LED lights in the housing that if damaged is VERY expensive to fix. I was able to get them to prove to the insurance company it was a result of the accident and after being replaced....never had it happen again. The point is that there is either a crack in your housing OR it's not probably installed/sealed right. Condensation is NEVER normal in a light housing...no matter what anyone says. It makes no sense for anyone to say it's normal...unless they are just trying to dismiss you and get you out of their shop. Just my opinion but if condensation was normal...why don't we all get it...and why don't you get it in all of your light housings? Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shahhm
I currently have a 997.2 but previously owned a 2008 Audi S5. I was hit once from behind which caused me to bump the car in front of me. The only damage done to the car (seen by the insurance company) was a scratch on the bumper and nothing else. As time went on in the coming weeks...I noticed my front right light housing started to get condensation on the inside. I brought it to 3 different Audi Dealerships and all of them dismissed it and said it was "normal". The last one I brought it to (Audi in Willow Grove, Pa) found that the light housing was cracked on the inside. I also only had condensation at extremes of temperatures but as many of you probably know, that car has a strip of LED lights in the housing that if damaged is VERY expensive to fix. I was able to get them to prove to the insurance company it was a result of the accident and after being replaced....never had it happen again. The point is that there is either a crack in your housing OR it's not probably installed/sealed right. Condensation is NEVER normal in a light housing...no matter what anyone says. It makes no sense for anyone to say it's normal...unless they are just trying to dismiss you and get you out of their shop. Just my opinion but if condensation was normal...why don't we all get it...and why don't you get it in all of your light housings? Good Luck!
Just so there is no misinformation here -

You are absolutely incorrect on this. Read through the forums. The question was about aftermarket for one thing and you are talking about an accident you had in an Audi and a cracked lens.

Whether or not this SHOULD happen is one thing. But the fact that it does happen in an extremely large number of them (especially aftermarket) is an unfortunate fact. There are also many reported cases of the OEM 997.2's having condensation when cold.

The simple issue is if there is any moisture in the lens/air EVER the LED's do not produce enough heat like incandescent bubs to evaporate it, so you either have to dry and seal, or vent like I did.

Several other threads on various forums document a huge number with this issue and various approaches to mitigate it.

So it is not optimal, and it should not happen, but it is in fact a normal occurrence. Do a search as I said and you will see threads that are 10's of pages long with people having condensation in LED's.

Just getting the correct facts out there for those reading this.

Here is a link to several threads just here on 6Speed. CLICK HERE

There are others on Rennlist/Renntech/Planet9 etc...

As to why we don't all get it...Because of different driving, humidity, and other atmospheric conditions.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 02-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:56 PM
shahhm will become famous soon enoughshahhm will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info. As I said...it shouldn't happen. If you are trying to say it should...I encourage you to keep flooding your light housings with condensation. Don't wanna do that?...I guess I wasn't absolutely incorrect.

Either way you cut it...it shouldn't happen. And thanks for the info on other people suffering from the problem and ways to fix the problem (or the NOT problem depending on how you look at it)

Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by shahhm
Thanks for the info. As I said...it shouldn't happen. If you are trying to say it should...I encourage you to keep flooding your light housings with condensation. Don't wanna do that?...I guess I wasn't absolutely incorrect.

Either way you cut it...it shouldn't happen. And thanks for the info on other people suffering from the problem and ways to fix the problem (or the NOT problem depending on how you look at it)
You are welcome. And Agreed, as I stated, it SHOULD NOT happen. It seems to be an unfortunate reality currently with LED/Automotive technology...especially aftermarket upgrades. Hopefully one day, they will be as competent designing LED's as they have become with traditional lighting...Until then...we just have to patch and work around.

As I mentioned also, venting seems to be the best option, as it is nearly impossible to get ALL moisture out of the enclosure...so as temps change it is going to form condensation. Some have had luck heating them up for a while to dry out and then sealing...but if ANY moisture remains...you are going to get condensation....

DC