997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Going to the Slowest Drag Strip in teh Country

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !

Hoping I can break 130mph at Fontana tomorrow

Some buddies want to go. What the heck.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
hahaha, good luck bro.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:46 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
hahaha, good luck bro.
thx. don't even know why I agreed to go. I guess it's close and haven't seen my bros in a while.

I went there a few months ago and they wouldn't tech me as stock (saw my exhaust and meth tank) so I tech'd at mid 11's and of course my first run I got booted they didn't even give me the slip but I did school some john force wannabe trailered drag car lol.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
thx. don't even know why I agreed to go. I guess it's close and haven't seen my bros in a while.

I went there a few months ago and they wouldn't tech me as stock (saw my exhaust and meth tank) so I tech'd at mid 11's and of course my first run I got booted they didn't even give me the slip but I did school some john force wannabe trailered drag car lol.

Sounds like you will be doing some spectating instead of racing.. Even if you do rip a pass it sounds like they will toss your *** once they see your trap.
I dunno about you but I can't bring myself to put a cage in my car. Little ones love coming with me too much

Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough

You don't need a cage until 9's, a roll bar is required on anything faster then 11.5. You can still have fun, focus on your 1/8 times and extrapolate to 1/4.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough

Lonboarder, did you need any special tuning to run your meth injection or does the ecu just compensate due to the cooler air temps?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Lonboarder, did you need any special tuning to run your meth injection or does the ecu just compensate due to the cooler air temps?
I run 100% meth not for cooling but for fueling since I am tuned to make power beyond what the stock fuel system can handle. My base tune is from the GIAC/Champion 68mm turbo meth 997.2 that did the 20+ 138mph 1/4 mile passes. After experiencing fuel limit "cuts" at airstrip events, GIAC set me up with a data logger and figured out exactly what was happening and then tweaked the base tune so that I would no longer fuel cut. But there is no separate "meth" tuning that we did as the stock ECU is superb at managing fuel trims and my IATs were already steady at ambient (no matter what the conditions) due to the Champion intercoolers.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris

Sounds like you will be doing some spectating instead of racing.. Even if you do rip a pass it sounds like they will toss your *** once they see your trap.
I dunno about you but I can't bring myself to put a cage in my car. Little ones love coming with me too much
Yeah a cage will not happen. Same with me - my 5 year old actually has been on an Airstrip run. Borrowed a helmet from a friend's son, signed a waiver while my wife cringed and my boy experienced a 0-170mph in 16 second ride loving it!

You don't need a cage until 9's, a roll bar is required on anything faster then 11.5. You can still have fun, focus on your 1/8 times and extrapolate to 1/4.
Can't really do that since there's no track prep. So I'm expecting 60-foot times to be in the 1.8 range. Also their 1/8 mile MPH reads low by 4-5 mph compared to a vBox. That's not a typo either.

Other notables about this track:

Runs uphill
Runs with a headwind
Timing equipment pessimistic
Hot as f*** (DA will probably be a mile high or more tomorrow at noon)
No shade
No snack bar

If I get a slip I'll share it with no shame.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:57 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Its a shame LACR closed, not sure which was worse

good luck

Old 07-31-2015, 03:52 PM
my IATs were already steady at ambient (no matter what the conditions) due to the Champion intercoolers.
Hmm, I might have a problem. I also have Champion intercoolers (bought brand new and installed last year) and yesterday at the track my IAT's were 50 degrees hotter than ambient. It was 80 at the track yesterday and my IAT was 129.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Hmm, I might have a problem. I also have Champion intercoolers (bought brand new and installed last year) and yesterday at the track my IAT's were 50 degrees hotter than ambient. It was 80 at the track yesterday and my IAT was 129.

Doesn't sound too far off, I've got CMS gen 2 logs if you want to compare -shoot me a PM if so. I can see IATs staying at ambient with meth spraying upstream of the temp sensor, without meth, no way. They're very good Garrett cores, but they aren't magic

Last edited by earl3; 07-31-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by earl3
Its a shame LACR closed, not sure which was worse

good luck
Pretty sure LACR was even worse haha!

Remember Carlsbad. That place was a sh*t hole with the dirt road you had to traverse and then of course there was chunks of pavement missing from the strip but at least it ran downhill with a tailwind and low DA. I would go a second quicker there than LACR.

That will happen if your car is stopped on a hot tarmac for a while because the intercoolers will get hot being near the hot motor and of course the tarmac is hot. Just bring a water sprayer and put ice water in it and spray the intercoolers down while you are just sitting. Makes a nice difference.

Last edited by longboarder; 07-31-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Doesn't sound too far off, I've got CMS gen 2 logs if you want to compare -shoot me a PM if so. I can see IATs staying at ambient with meth spraying upstream of the temp sensor, without meth, no way. They're very good Garrett cores, but they aren't magic
At what intake temperature does timing start getting pulled by the dme? I recall around 45C but I can't remember for sure.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 PM

Remember Carlsbad. That place was a sh*t hole with the dirt road you had to traverse and then of course there was chunks of pavement missing from the strip but at least it ran downhill with a tailwind and low DA. I would go a second quicker there than LACR.

That will happen if your car is stopped on a hot tarmac for a while because the intercoolers will get hot being near the hot motor and of course the tarmac is hot. Just bring a water sprayer and put ice water in it and spray the intercoolers down while you are just sitting. Makes a nice difference.

hahaha yep, good times at both. I always liked the thin layer of desert sand covering LACR, made for some interesting/sideways 60's

Makes sense on the intercoolers now, I'll have to try that next time I hit the strip.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Good point, I totally forgot about the meth and I was keeping the car running for awhile because I didn't want the durametric to lose signal while I was waiting in the staging lane. PM sent.

Good idea, I never thought about that but I'm sure I could cool them down quite a bit with an ice water spritzer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going to the Slowest Drag Strip in teh Country