997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

So why exactly does a gt3 seem to hold value better than a 997 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sixtyfiver
The turbo is robotic, unemotional and lacking feedback.

The gt3 connects man to machine, offers feedback and creates an emotional relationship that man is willing to pay for. Once bitten, a gt3 is hard to substitute thus creating the demand that outweigh's the supply and the support is created for the higher values that are present.
I call complete and utter bull****.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Have both, love both. If I could have just one, it would be the GT3. It is much more of an event to look at and drive. The 991s are quite a step up in performance from the 997s though. I love my turbo, but it doesn't make my pulse quicken when I walk up to it in the garage like the GT3 does.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
If you haven't driven a GT car you simply won't understand what the hoopla is about. This is doubly true for the RS variants. The TTs, albeit fast and much more daily driver friendly, simply lack any emotion in comparison. I know that's hard for the TT guys to swallow as everyone takes pride in their cars but it is what it is.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 07-25-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
If you haven't driven a GT car you simply won't understand what the hoopla is about. This is doubly true for the RS variants. The TTs, albeit fast, simply lack any emotion in comparison. I know that's hard for the TT guys to swallow as everyone takes pride in their cars but it is what it is.
So... swap a turbo engine into a GT3? Or swap GT3 spec suspension into a Turbo? Then what happens? Everyone's mind gets blown?

Porsche's art of selling less car for more in the GT cars is quite something...

Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
I had a 997.2 Turbo S modded to be a 140 1/4 mile trap car and handle like a GT car. I now have a 991 Turbo S only mods are bolt ons/meth/turbos making around 800 crank HP. And also have a stock 991 GT3.

I will say that I like to drive the GT3 more than either my 997.2 Turbo S or 991 Turbo S. Not gonna say some bs about the driver connection or whatever because frankly I don't know why I prefer to drive it. But I do.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
So... swap a turbo engine into a GT3? Or swap GT3 spec suspension into a Turbo? Then what happens? Everyone's mind gets blown?

It's not just the engine or the suspension. It's a combination of all the little things that make up the whole. You have the more responsive rev happy engine, the lightweight flywheel, the direct shifter, the tighter steering feel, sharper response from the rose jointed suspension, the lack of rubber isolation through out, less carpet insulation, lighter weight, better balance, etc, etc. When it comes to Porsche's GT cars, less is always more which has a direct correlation to their value.

Having driven all of them, I personally favor the 996 GT cars over the 997 variants unless you are talking the 7RS models. From a driver involvement perspective the 991GT3s are my least favorite. They look fabulous and are the most comfortable on the street but the least fun at the track as they have taken the driver involvement out of it to a certain degree with the PDK, rear wheel steering, and all the various levels of nannies available to the driver. They have become very civilized, even more so than the 997s. They are extremely easy cars to go relatively fast in. I do not believe the engines will be as reliable as the tried and true Mezgers on the previous generation cars. It's very easy to make an average driver look great in a 991GT3 but not easy in a 996GT3, much less in a 6GT2. I have not driven the 991GT3RS but my understanding is it is a more demanding car than the regular GT3. The reason the 997GT cars with their Mezgers and manual gearboxes are appreciating so much is the fact they they struck a very nice balance of performance and civility compared the the 996 and 991GT cars. The 996s are also going up while the 991s are now on a decline (except the RS cars).

Last edited by pwdrhound; 07-25-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
It's not just the engine or the suspension. It's a combination of all the little things that make up the whole. You have the more responsive rev happy engine, the lightweight flywheel, the direct shifter, the tighter steering feel, sharper response from the rose jointed suspension, the lack of rubber isolation through out, less carpet insulation, lighter weight, better balance, etc, etc. When it comes to Porsche's GT cars, less is always more which has a direct correlation to their value.

Having driven all of them, I personally favor the 996 GT cars over the 997 variants unless you are talking the 7RS models. From a driver involvement perspective the 991GT3s are my least favorite. They look fabulous and are the most comfortable on the street but the least fun at the track as they have taken the driver involvement out of it to a certain degree with the PDK, rear wheel steering, and all the various levels of nannies available to the driver. They have become very civilized, even more so than the 997s. They are extremely easy cars to go relatively fast in. I do not believe the engines will be as reliable as the tried and true Mezgers on the previous generation cars. It's very easy to make an average driver look great in a 991GT3 but not easy in a 996GT3, much less in a 6GT2. I have not driven the 991GT3RS but my understanding is it is a more demanding car than the regular GT3. The reason the 997GT cars with their Mezgers and manual gearboxes are appreciating so much is the fact they they struck a very nice balance of performance and civility compared the the 996 and 991GT cars. The 996s are also going up while the 991s are now on a decline (except the RS cars).

I agree with RIX as I have had a driver instructor of 25yrs drive my car that has driven 911GT3RS, GT2 etc and he was blown away with the performance with my car. Even to a point where he said this thing feels better then any GT he has driven (almost all RSS components etc) , revs quicker then the last RS he drove (as he heel and toed the first 2-3 times and hit my rev limiter, EVOMS LW crank pulley, ERP LWFW with whole triple plate assembly weighing 22lbs, GT3 throttle body, IPD matching plenum etc), BUT with way more POWER/TQ (running E85 on low boost, on non sport setting). He said it felt so alive and better then any recent GT he can remember, BUT was the fastest car power wise that he has driven on the track and he listed some serious machinery that he has tracked even outside of 911's and including the GT2RS (620bhp).

I tried to make my car "alive" with all the mods I did and even the exhaust to sound exotic and shriek up top as well (Speedtech Race with no cats no mufflers) and the instructor said I hit bulls eye with my overall machine.

It is harder to add power to a N/A, then to make a Turbo feel alive, connected and handle as well as a GT

So you can have your cake and eat it to!

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 07-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
I have yet to have the pleasure of driving a GT car. I don`t believe I am anywhere near a good enough driver to appreciate them, but I would love to thrash on one in a proper setting. That being said, 4 weeks into 997TT ownership I cannot imagine a more enjoyable experience than driving this car. It is a ridiculous machine, and mine is bone stock.

I too am a big believer that 997s, particularily 6Mt and .1, will begin to appreciate over the next year. It took me 12 months to find one here in Canada. The one I did find was an imported US car. These cars are not easy to find full stop.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Haha! Yes, everyone's mind gets blown when you see the latest GT2RS! Porsche has done quite a job of creating a huge range of cars. The 991 gt3 was a remarkable creation of a track that one could live with on the street. And then they made it even faster with the .2. And I've even driven a gt3rs and yes, it is a completely different machine and the cost is so prohibitive, it's not even worth talking about.
I imagine the 991 gt3 prices will come down, but it sure hasn't happened yet. I suspect I'll pay up for one soon and hopefully drive it for free like most of the current owners!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Haha! Yes, everyone's mind gets blown when you see the latest GT2RS! Porsche has done quite a job of creating a huge range of cars. The 991 gt3 was a remarkable creation of a track that one could live with on the street. And then they made it even faster with the .2. And I've even driven a gt3rs and yes, it is a completely different machine and the cost is so prohibitive, it's not even worth talking about.
I imagine the 991 gt3 prices will come down, but it sure hasn't happened yet. I suspect I'll pay up for one soon and hopefully drive it for free like most of the current owners!
My GT3 is likely sold tomorrow and I most certainly did NOT drive it for free, haha. That's perfectly fine though. It was worth every penny, as will my next 991.2 6MT GT3 (hopefully PTS).

Old 07-28-2017, 03:05 AM
Frizz is on a distinguished road
Times are changing.

Today in Germany 997 GT3 MK1 2007-2009 are plenty (122) offered. Prices around 80.000€. Mileage around 15-35.000.

Turbos same specs as above are offered 34. Starting prices around 85.000€.

Go check 4 yourself and try to find a GT3 2008 with low mileage....

Dont think prices are going up for GT3. 420 HP is just the same as 997.2 GTS, looking great...

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...er=1&scopeId=C

Last edited by Frizz; 07-28-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:51 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by A418t81
My GT3 is likely sold tomorrow and I most certainly did NOT drive it for free, haha. That's perfectly fine though. It was worth every penny, as will my next 991.2 6MT GT3 (hopefully PTS).
So, what was your delta? I see 14s and 15s still asking close too original sticker.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by Frizz
Times are changing.

Today in Germany 997 GT3 MK1 2007-2009 are plenty (122) offered. Prices around 80.000€. Mileage around 15-35.000.

Turbos same specs as above are offered 34. Starting prices around 85.000€.

Go check 4 yourself and try to find a GT3 2008 with low mileage....

Dont think prices are going up for GT3. 420 HP is just the same as 997.2 GTS, looking great...

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...er=1&scopeId=C
Not sure what you mean here. Turbos are selling near the price of gt3s? Well, the sticker on a turbo is $30-50k more than a gt3! About the same in euros!

Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM
LukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to behold
I love looking at my 7TT that is mildly mod'd.

I love driving my 6GT2 that is moderatly mod'd with full RS type suspension. Nothing like smoking them at 60mph or practicing the slip angle.

They can all be special in their own right, but I think limited numbers and the most letters in title "S" , "RS", "2" equal highest collector value. That doesn't mean more value for the owner.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
So, what was your delta? I see 14s and 15s still asking close too original sticker.
$30k. They may be asking that, but they aren't selling for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So why exactly does a gt3 seem to hold value better than a 997 turbo?