997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Correct Front Drop Link Install w/Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Correct Front Drop Link Install w/Bilsteins?

Sorry to bring this back from the grave. But I'm questioning whether my Bilstein drop links were installed in the correct position.

Here's a link to a thread where Cannga shows the "correct" configuration for the drop link install with Bilstein damptronics coilovers. This was after the long thread covering the various Bilstein issues.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-install.html

Here's a picture he posted inside that thread:

I believe the picture above is how most people ended up installing their drop links. But then Bilstein changed their drop link design and put a bend in it. Here's a picture of the change:

The one on top with the bend is the new Bilstein drop link design. The straight one on the bottom is the older design that caused problems.

Now, I have the newer design (with bend) on my car. Based on the conclusions from the Bilstein thread and the thread with Cannga's post I linked above, my drop link install looks like this:

Bottom of the drop link is on the outside (towards wheel). And top of the drop link is towards the back of the car. Just like in Cannga's picture.

Now the question I have is, is this still the right configuration given the design of the new Bilstein drop links?

I figured it would be the same. But to be honest I've only seen pictures verifying this using the older straight Bilstein drop links. Then I stumbled on this:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html

Here's a picture that dk10438 posted in the thread saying this is the correct installation configuration according to Bilstein:

You'll notice that the lower part remains the same. But the picture above has the top part installed the opposite of Cannga and how mine are installed. And also notice that dk10438 has the newer bent Bilstein drop link design like mine.

So which is the correct version?

Again, I don't want to beat a dead horse but searching through the forum, it's hard to get a consensus as the info is spread across multiple threads. And the reason I'm bringing this up is because I do hear some binding noises on full steering wheel turns and so I was wondering again if the new drop link design has a different install orientation than the older design.