997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Blew a Turbo, Whats next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Call me tomorrow if you like. I have a couple ideas at 3.5 as well. I think that GT2RS units are just going to keep giving you more headaches.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Call me tomorrow if you like. I have a couple ideas at 3.5 as well. I think that GT2RS units are just going to keep giving you more headaches.

Agreed, why 3.5 now?

Customer is never right if you can back it up. If you cant, they are always right!

Been there, done that, what's different. Stock VTGs don't help this at all.

Would a more efficient turbo need a larger intercooler?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I know Turbo Mike of IPD doubled up the Gt2 intercoolers on his yellow GT2 when he had it ,just a thought.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:33 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
I know Turbo Mike of IPD doubled up the Gt2 intercoolers on his yellow GT2 when he had it ,just a thought.
??????? I'll take a look. Have a link? Was it a 997?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:38 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Yes it was a 997 there was a build sheet on it when he had it for sale in the classifieds,should still be there.

Last edited by twturbo; 10-27-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Nice post John!

On the 4.5 vs 3.5...Bigger is better ion a VTG car. But if you tell me you want fast recovery I will say go with something smaller that will take the boost/heat and let the E85 do it's work. There is always a compromise. I would run 4.5 for flow and capacity. They are a larger heat sink but perhaps the lesser of all evils on high boost VTG. I have see and learned a lot on the 991 VTG's as well. We went 4.5. Works like a charm!

Larger compressor on the turbo's will help make more power. But on a road coarse you need to control EGT and back-pressure more than ever. The downside of high power VTG's. Again compromise. There is no correct answer. I feel I have found a nice balance depending on application. But on the phone is easier. If I lean one direction there will be guys pointing the weak sides out and vise versa. Still searching for the perfect turbo!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:50 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by elite1

I was logging my car at the time also. No boom when failure happened, just a lot of white smoke. My issue is, a stock VTG is around $5k. Most aftermarket versions are around 5K for both.

Not to instill fear but, are you concerned about the other turbo failing soon?

Im at 115,000km on the car.. maybe its time for new turbos. Im very concerned about the other turbo failing. Especially since the culprit of the failure was not found.

Im now back to running an OTS Cobb stage 2 tune and have logged 7,000KM with it. My front diff died this season too.. could it be because of the the extra power? who knows!?!

I would like to find a replacement turbo setup however I do not want any more power for the sake of reliability. I will be looking into new turbos in the future but I would like the same amount of power with less lag.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread for when I upgrade to forged rods and upgraded turbos

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-upgrade.html

Last edited by IMI A; 10-27-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Bummer man. Those smaller turbos have small turbine shafts. Not surprised to see it snapped like like that seeing how hard you guys drive them at the track!!! And you can tell the break is toward the rear of the shaft and not the front side.....thankfully!! I had this happen to one time on a smaller trim T4 Turbo as well. You can upgrade to the a bigger exhaust wheel/bigger series turbos that have the bigger wheels/shafts for more a robust turbo. The oil...when out the exhaust side, it didn't 'sucked' into the motor so don't worry about that. Great time to upgrade some turbos now though!!

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 10-27-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound

As far as the GT2RS intercoolers go, I looked at my logs and they were installed 4/2012 so I have 4 hard track seasons on them which equals about 130 hard track hours. I do a boost leak test generally 2x each year and did one last week. I heard a hissing from the passenger one so I pulled them to get a closer inspection and boost leak test them out of the car. Both ICs were drum tight at the end tanks but both leak at the core right at the intake side where the heat is concentrated. This tells me that the cores have gotten heat cycled from the 130+ hour of track duty (equivalent to about 10K track miles) and have become brittle eventually leading to internal cracks and leaks. Granted, the conditions I have subjected the intercoolers to will not be seen by street cars or cars doing the occasional 60-130 or 1/4mile pulls from time to time.

With that said, I still think these intercoolers are great for cars running moderate boost but they are a consumable item like many other things. Elite killed these ICs in the course of 1 year mainly due to the fact that he's running higher boost than I am and also running much more heat through them due to his VTGs at the track. Elite actually melted the plastic ducting that was in contact with the edge of the IC on the intake side. You could definitely see the discoloration of the glue at the intake side (where both he and I have seen the failures of the core) and none at the outlet side. This tells me that they do and excellent job of eliminating heat but the hight heat is killing the core at the very beginning where the hot inlet air is entering. In my case, 4 seasons out of these cores is still cheap all things considered. I have ordered new ones this morning but will be probably bite the bullet and have a set of ICs made using Marston Aerospace cores.
I'm a bit surprised at this especially considering the GT2RS uses these coolers at 1.6bar. Is there a boost leak kit you use for checking the intercoolers? I'm wondering if you would notice your turbo duty cycle going up in the logs if a leak developed in the intercoolers, hopefully before the turbo compressor was overdriven? I had a small leak at the intake plenum (one of the clamps was either not put back by the dealer or it broke and fell off) and in my logs I noticed that the turbo duty cycle went up from low 40s to 60s. Also, I could hear the leak and the logs indicated I wasn't quite hitting the same boost as previous.

My current tune uses a lot of boost so I'm mindful of threads like this where "consequences" are seen. With these cars when things are good they are great, but when things go bad they really hurt.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I'm a bit surprised at this especially considering the GT2RS uses these coolers at 1.6bar. Is there a boost leak kit you use for checking the intercoolers? I'm wondering if you would notice your turbo duty cycle going up in the logs if a leak developed in the intercoolers, hopefully before the turbo compressor was overdriven? I had a small leak at the intake plenum (one of the clamps was either not put back by the dealer or it broke and fell off) and in my logs I noticed that the turbo duty cycle went up from low 40s to 60s. Also, I could hear the leak and the logs indicated I wasn't quite hitting the same boost as previous.

My current tune uses a lot of boost so I'm mindful of threads like this where "consequences" are seen. With these cars when things are good they are great, but when things go bad they really hurt.
I was surprised too but I truly believe it's due to core getting brittle after so much heat cycling at the track over the last 4 years. The aluminum gets brittle and eventually gives way due to the stress and vibration. My leak was relatively minor as I could pressurize the intercooler to 20 psi and it would leak down to 8 or so within about 30 seconds or so. I pressurize the ICs by plugging in the turbo outlet boost hoses onto each intercoolers and then insert a plug in one end with a pressure gauge. The other end has a tire valve stem on it through which you can add compressed air. You can built a simple kit for a few bucks or buy one from 911 tuning.

I was still seeing full boost in the car. Yes, the turbos were probably working a little harder but I don't run VTGs and relatively low boost at 1.25 so there is little chance of over spinning them. I doubt you will see many of these fail in this fashion because turbo cars just don't get tracked all that often. How many GT2RSs do you see flogged at the track on a regular basis? As much as they're worth and appreciating, pretty much all are weekend C&C cars or garage queens. Everything will have a drastically reduced life cycle once you subject it to constant punishment. I go through about 7 or 8 sets of tires, 3 sets of brake rotors, and 5 sets of brake pads in about 25-30 hours of track use each year. It really does not surprise me intercoolers are a consumable item also. What blows me away however, it the fact that I have had OEM factory boost hoses on the car for the last 4 years and they are still perfect without any leaks or signs of deterioration. I will be changing them out as a precaution when I swap out the intercoolers.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-28-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Here's Elite's turbocharger failure in the flesh. I couldn't get youtube to shorten the clip so you have to scroll to the is at 13min 20sec mark on the video. Select 720P for better resolution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa8...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-28-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

I was still seeing full boost in the car. Yes, the turbos were probably working a little harder but I don't run VTGs and relatively low boost at 1.25 so there is little chance of over spinning them. I doubt you will see many of these fail in this fashion because turbo cars just don't get tracked all that often. How many GT2RSs do you see flogged at the track on a regular basis? As much as they're worth and appreciating, pretty much all are weekend C&C cars or garage queens. Everything will have a drastically reduced life cycle once you subject it to constant punishment. I go through about 7 or 8 sets of tires, 3 sets of brake rotors, and 5 sets of brake pads in about 25-30 hours of track use each year. It really does not surprise me intercoolers are a consumable item also. What blows me away however, it the fact that I have had OEM factory boost hoses on the car for the last 4 years and they are still perfect without any leaks or signs of deterioration. I will be changing them out as a precaution when I swap out the intercoolers.
Awesome! Now that is a non-garage queen if I ever saw one. I go to the track once or twice a year. Still on first set of pads and rotors. But I'm a relative novice at the track. The car does take a beating though on the straights. So far so good...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Here's Elite's turbocharger failure in the flesh. I couldn't get youtube to shorten the clip so you have to scroll to the is at 13min 20sec mark on the video. Select 720P for better resolution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa8...ature=youtu.be

Ha! Thanks Dude! Driver seat, rear view mirror looked much worse though.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Bummer man. Those smaller turbos have small turbine shafts. Not surprised to see it snapped like like that seeing how hard you guys drive them at the track!!! And you can tell the break is toward the rear of the shaft and not the front side.....thankfully!! I had this happen to one time on a smaller trim T4 Turbo as well. You can upgrade to the a bigger exhaust wheel/bigger series turbos that have the bigger wheels/shafts for more a robust turbo. The oil...when out the exhaust side, it didn't 'sucked' into the motor so don't worry about that. Great time to upgrade some turbos now though!!
Exactly. Not sure on my direction just yet. Forum is providing some great options though.

We do push the limits at the track though. Its the price to play "hard."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew a Turbo, Whats next?