997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Blew a Turbo, Whats next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
9e28,
I think we are reading the same thread in sequence. Lol

Good info though. What time are most running? I have Cobb and was considering a down tune for track duty.
Depends on which turbo you go for but I'd always go for a custom tune to your requirements. You can have one tune for track duty and one for road use.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:10 PM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
I don't think A28's are sufficient. You're reading results on probably racegas and super high boost for a victory run.

You can in essence run 3 diff power levels on two maps via sport button with a custom tune.

Boost controller off - .9-1bar for track duty
Boost Lo/ sport on - 1.2bar
Boost high/sport on - 1.4bar when a motorbike pulls up next to you.

If your injectors are already installed then it's really easy install with proto line kit, maybe 10 hours work with ice cream breaks.

Also not true about the cost being cheaper if buying a whole kit.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 AM
w cole is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gofast
I don't think A28's are sufficient. You're reading results on probably racegas and super high boost for a victory run.

You can in essence run 3 diff power levels on two maps via sport button with a custom tune.

Boost controller off - .9-1bar for track duty
Boost Lo/ sport on - 1.2bar
Boost high/sport on - 1.4bar when a motorbike pulls up next to you.

If your injectors are already installed then it's really easy install with proto line kit, maybe 10 hours work with ice cream breaks.

Also not true about the cost being cheaper if buying a whole kit.
I think I'm sold. I just need to price it out. If I am not getting a discount ordering as a package it seems to make a lot of sense to get what I want and order individually.

The proto website leaves a lot to be desired. In the line kit a call and order kind of thing? http://www.protomotive.com/products.html

Do the turbos attach to the stock exhaust?

Last edited by w cole; 11-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
yeh call and order.

The turbos if Alpha (tial) bolt to OEM manifold and exhaust, just push the exhaust out and inch or two...

Old 11-04-2015, 07:15 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Have a look at this thread. Amir is running a3071 with ES tune

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-results.html
Correction, Those are GTX3071 with externals, a far superior setup ...

Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TT.BRN
Correction, Those are GTX3071 with externals, a far superior setup ...
My mistake. I agree and if distance not an issue I'd thoroughly recommend speaking to Emre at ES Motors. Amir's cars an absolute rocketship. Often wish I'd gone down this route as it was no difference in price to my GT2 VTG set up and its flipping quick. Will destroy most things on track.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Great recommendations everyone. Up in the air at this point but, looking to make my move on my decision next week.

Looking for best of both world's with my current tuning. I think that Cobb can offer both regardless to my turbo decision.

I'm not sure on the conversion from VTG's to a standard turbo setup. Seems like a lot of work with tubing ect.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 PM
If you're leaving VTG's don't mess around with tuning, go with a custom tune or you'll end up with pieces of your engine on the highway...

Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gofast
If you're leaving VTG's don't mess around with tuning, go with a custom tune or you'll end up with pieces of your engine on the highway...
Nice point, I guess I will leave that decision up to my tuner.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Aren't the Alpha turbos non-VTGs?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Yup... So the tune you choose and also the boost controller you run and how its set up is very important..

Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 PM
LOL,

Nice, I guess I have lead this topic off track to some extent.

I meant "tune" by stating that the , "Tune controls the boost, high end and low end." This would give me the flexibility of "track duty and also street playing."

I do both so, tune does come into play as I would be able to control the thermal activity to its usage. I did recently blow through some GT2rs intercooler in a few track day last season.

Heats an issue on a stock setup for me.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Banned
^^^ Bad luck mate. We are going to see more and more failures on 997 turbos. Far more than on 996 turbos.

I lost an engine on a completely stock set up at about 170mph on autobahn. Its something to do with the heat caused by the VTGS. My pistons and liner literally melted.

The car was under Official Porsche Warranty for 8 years and I had it from new. After a 5 month legal battle with Porsche AG and referring the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Porsche AG sent me a brand new engine with new exhaust, new turbos etc.

When i got the car back I thought sod this I've played by the book and Porsche tried to wriggle out of giving me a new engine so I'm now going to run it how I want and to hell with the Porsche warranty which I was a slave to.

Sent it to 9e and they kitted me out with:

GT2 hybrid turbos with clipped billet wheels, motorsport bearings and a few other tricks. GT2 RS intercoolers, IPD high flow Y-Pipe, 82 mm motorsport IPD Plenum with GT3 Throttle Body. Europipe Stage 2 Loud Sports Exhaust with 100 cell Emitec Cats. LWFW with Sachs 2.5 clutch, H&R - 20 mm progressive sports lowering springs, GT2 rear anti roll bar, short shift. 19 inch BBS F1 forged ultra light alloys with 245 and 325 section Cup 2s

All of the above mods cost me less than they wanted to charge for a new engine I kid you not. frightening Experience. You could do worse than send your car to 9e to rebuild it better than new. Mine feels like a completely different car and is pretty quick. Much quicker than stock.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:52 PM
9e 28, Horrible story dude. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end to some extent.

Quick update:

jjurroz has been kind enough to sell me his stock turbos (Thank you) until I can figure out what path I will take for the track.

I am sure that I will veer from the VTG setup but, I need to understand the exhaust modifications needed, plumbing needs for oil and coolant and tuning change requirements.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Once turbos are installed, "mine are,"what start up method should of be followed? Any concern with oil or coolant?

I'm changing the oil and will check coolant level prior to initial start.

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew a Turbo, Whats next?