997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgrades labor costs - insanity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
nick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to behold
Upgrades labor costs - insanity

Hello, I'm getting closer to pulling a trigger on car upgrades - with parts identified and looking good, but now getting some astounding quotes for labor.

I plan to change clutch, install new injectors & spark plugs, replace inter-coolers, change exhaust & install inlet pipes.

First quote was for $8,000 in labor (not a dealer), second quote came lower @ $5,500. In hours labor was around 40-50 hours.

Is this for real, does it take that much time to do the work? It's just hard for me to believe that removing and putting the engine back would take 20 hours. With the engine out, it would take 4 hours to install spark plugs?????????

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Are there places around Seattle with more sane prices?

-Nick

Old 12-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
its around 8 hrs to remove and 8 hrs to reinstall. no way out takes 4 hrs to swap plugs.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:09 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Engine out is simple if you pull it with trans, can be done in a couple hours. Factory trans setup, add a few more hours to unmate from block.

Book hours are something ridiculous like 20 removal, 20 install.

Find a different shop.

Injectors alone usually $600-900 on a 997.1 for install, can do plenum while you're in there.

Intercoolers are a 2-3 hour job if they're factory replacement, maybe a bit more if you require duct cutting.

Exhaust is a 2-3 hour job as well, taking your time. I could do it in 30 minutes on a 996.

You should be looking around 20 hours for everything, from a reasonable shop, rate from 90-120/hr.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Nick,

run from those shops!!......$8k what are shops thinking... even $5500 is high!

You should be around $2500-3500 for said work with a dropped motor!

Originally Posted by nick-seattle
Hello, I'm getting closer to pulling a trigger on car upgrades - with parts identified and looking good, but now getting some astounding quotes for labor.

I plan to change clutch, install new injectors & spark plugs, replace inter-coolers, change exhaust & install inlet pipes.

First quote was for $8,000 in labor (not a dealer), second quote came lower @ $5,500. In hours labor was around 40-50 hours.

Is this for real, does it take that much time to do the work? It's just hard for me to believe that removing and putting the engine back would take 20 hours. With the engine out, it would take 4 hours to install spark plugs?????????

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Are there places around Seattle with more sane prices?

-Nick

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Sounds like "Union" rates

Old 12-05-2015, 03:40 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick-seattle

-Nick
Labor costs for service (oil, filters) new plugs, clutch, injectors, exhaust was $1800

Old 12-05-2015, 05:25 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Do it yourself !

Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Reach out to sean (itguy) from srm. He has a good shop in seattle he can hook you up with

Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
That price is more reasonable if you are getting coolant pipe work done and/or gt2 slave clutch conversion. The coolant pipe pinning/welding is a big job.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:53 AM
nick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all recommendations, I will reach out to the people/companies listed above.

I'm also thinking about breaking the job up (clutch, spark plugs, injectors), this would be for somebody with specific Porsche knowledge. Exhaust and intercoolers could be done by any shop. Unfortunately I can't do it myself - I'm really good with electronics, but not as good with mechanical components

No the work to do coolant pipes or clutch conversion was not included in all of that.

-Nick

Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Yogi911
That price is more reasonable if you are getting coolant pipe work done and/or gt2 slave clutch conversion. The coolant pipe pinning/welding is a big job.
welding the fittings isn't that big a deal just time consuming. i pinned my fittings in less than 2 hrs with less than 10$ worth of parts

Old 12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 Nick
We can see if Sean can hook you up with that shop and if they're comfortable doing it. If not at this rate I can do it for much less including transport of your car back-and-forth here or at SRM in Vegas!