997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear wing Hydrolic failure DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Rear wing Hydrolic failure DIY?

Hi,
My rear wing doesn't raise all the way anymore on one side. If I try to pull it up it goes up a but and then falls back to where it was.
This will be the third time the wing was touched. Both sides were fixed for small leaks during my CPO.
So I am looking for any DIY's on bleeding the wing, adding fluid, or removal and replace.Are there any manuals out there?
I suspect that many of us will need to do this on our 997 TT's so it would be good to gather these in one place.
(Rock...are you listening lol?)

Old 02-15-2016, 04:20 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tomb18
Hi,
My rear wing doesn't raise all the way anymore on one side. If I try to pull it up it goes up a but and then falls back to where it was.
This will be the third time the wing was touched. Both sides were fixed for small leaks during my CPO.
So I am looking for any DIY's on bleeding the wing, adding fluid, or removal and replace.Are there any manuals out there?
I suspect that many of us will need to do this on our 997 TT's so it would be good to gather these in one place.
(Rock...are you listening lol?)
Haha...

Looks like you got a post here with some good instructions on that process. Two other options are Cabriolet hydraulics (in FL I think?) They can rebuild for ~$600 ish. And then you have DaveCarrera 4 who developed an electric
ram replacement. Those look like the 3 most viable approaches.

Mine just barely weeps at all, so have not had to address that yet, so no experience. I think the link above is very tight, and I may have a version of a similar process....If I find it, I will post here as well.

Good luck!
DC

EDIT: Here are some items that may help?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Spoiler Repair Info.pdf (123.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: pdf
Rear Spoiler Wiring Harness.pdf (818.5 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by therock88; 02-15-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:06 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
This is great! Thanks!
So I am going to try this on my own, the soonest is in March when I can get the car out of storage. Just getting ready here.
Now, Where does one find a shop manual for the turbo? I have seen the 996 manuals but they have no details on the turbo. Not only that, I have yet to see a complete description from the shop on how to bleed the system.
I figure that I do my own oil changes, brakes, and last year did the three rads on my 997tt so this should not be too hard.
Keep them coming.
Here's another link:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...aulic-ram.html

and another
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e-1?hl=spoiler

This should be enough to start.
I like theRock88 ' pdf explanation. All that is missing is the pictures. I'll try this when I get to the job.

Last edited by tomb18; 02-15-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Given its a closed system I assume the fluid is bypassing a seal, do you know which seals are the culprit? Are they redressable? Where are you seeing the leak?
Thanks

Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maverick997
Given its a closed system I assume the fluid is bypassing a seal, do you know which seals are the culprit? Are they redressable? Where are you seeing the leak?
Thanks
My understanding is they are not really repairable. The Hydraulics place can rebuild, but not an individual. The process here is to replace the fluid with a "Stop-Leak" variety fluid. It essentially swells the seals and stops the leaks. A relatively inexpensive solution to at least hold off the potential expensive replacement....

I guess I forgot to mention a 4th and fifth option....You could replace with a fixed wing, or use Durametric Pro to disable the wing from going up and down....Oh and a 6th would be to buy the fixed pistons that hold it in the up position

DC

Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
As my unique solution was mentioned by my friend therock88, I'll provide some food for thought: http://rennkit.com/why-factory-set-fails/ djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 02-16-2016, 07:06 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Mine were not failing on my 997tt but still decided to switch to Dave's kit. In my opinion it is the way to go.

I've helped a friend with his 996tt and I have to say that the fluid in the hydraulic rams is some nasty stuff. Get some on your hands and you will be trying to get it off for an hour. (just imagine it getting on your paint and settling for any period of time).

In my mind a rebuild will only prolong the issue, but with that said it is pretty awesome how great the information is in this community. Always appreciate the how-to docs.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Anyone have a source for the tool that is not $100?
Or maybe I should just make it on my mill...except my mill is only 3 dimensions, still....

Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Anyone have a source for the tool that is not $100?
Or maybe I should just make it on my mill...except my mill is only 3 dimensions, still....
$17.99 1/2 way down the page....It is simply a spanner tool.
http://www.samstagsales.com/Porsche.htm

DC

Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by therock88
$17.99 1/2 way down the page....It is simply a spanner tool.
http://www.samstagsales.com/Porsche.htm

DC
Thanks, but when you add it to your cart, the price is 79.95 before shipping....
Seems there is an error on that Web page. It's the same one as sold by vivid racing for 85.00
I'm in Canada so add the 40% exchange rate.....yikes!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Thanks, but when you add it to your cart, the price is 79.95 before shipping....
Seems there is an error on that Web page. It's the same one as sold by vivid racing for 85.00
I'm in Canada so add the 40% exchange rate.....yikes!
Interesting ?

Well, like I said, it is a 34-36 mm spanner/ hook wrench. Search eBay or tool sites.

Good luck.
DC

Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Oh, I didn't know these existed. So something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Pin-Diam...MXDhDb7PMd815A

Anyone know the torque setting?
Thanks

Old 02-17-2016, 07:15 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I didn't know these existed. So something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Pin-Diam...MXDhDb7PMd815A Anyone know the torque setting? Thanks
no idea on torque, factory may use some type of Loctite material. I can supply a pin wrench as well, http://rennkit.com/purchase/ don't forget to request a 6Speed coupon for 5% off.

Last edited by DaveCarrera4S; 02-17-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Oh, I didn't know these existed. So something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Pin-Diam...MXDhDb7PMd815A

Anyone know the torque setting?
Thanks
Yes...That is the type. Worst case you have to grind/file down the tip to fit in the ram indention.

DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear wing Hydrolic failure DIY?