997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

BBI clutch slave install and review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
BBI clutch slave install and review.

I got tired of waiting for someone to give me/us feedback on this anticipated product. So I called Betim and a few days later it showed up.

Keeping in mind I run a defense company that manufactures machined parts for the government I tend to be critical. The overall quality of the slave is great from a function and practicality standpoint BBI did an amazing job. My critical side would have liked to see better tool step over on the surf milling.

With that being said the install went super smooth. Took 2.5 hours which included a oil change. The starter nor the axels needed to be touched. This job has a few challenges one being the red compression fitting can be a pain but I made a tool that made it a breeze to undo. The next is pushing the slave to the rear ensuring it stays in the divot and overcoming the tension to get the slave bolts in. Again not too bad, but can be interesting.

I did also install the GT3 clutch spring which does help a lot.

Without the clutch spring the clutch is 15% firmer than a GT2/GT3 factory clutch. With the GT3 spring it's less firmer than the GT2/GT3 clutch pressure.

My initial impression was the pressure feels awesome. The first drive landed me in 10 mile interstate traffic lasting 25 minutes. Nothing crazy but a lot of shifting. The pressure / effort wasn't anything to speak of. I've put a few hundred files through the clutch and I love it.

It's totally changed how I drive the car, from a dig the car slams the power down. On upshift there is zero decel surge. The let out is perfect. This would be the first modification I would do a stock 996/997 turbo.

I have driven and or owned GT2, GT3 , GT4 , 991 50th 7MT, and EVOM slave converted turbos. My current 997TT has all the supporting modifications to produce over 700hp and 691 ftlbs AWD including a upgraded SACHS clutch and LWFW. The BBI clutch slave is a must, and is the best available slave conversion I've ever experienced.

BBI awesome Job.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo378.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	903.9 KB
ID:	449455   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo17.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	449456  
Old 05-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Awesome review Ron. +1 to BBI on this part. I have done a few and the guys love em!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turbofever
Another thought if you want a firmer clutch pedal is to install a stronger pressure plate with higher clamping force to handle torque

Go ahead and buy a Sachs 764 pressure plate

I have the factory Slave and noticed roughly 15% firmer pedal

I would highly encourage this along with the Porsche 764 flywheel and rs 4.0 clutch plate

I love my new setup and the chattering is almost none existent
Sam would have to confirm but I believe that's exactly what I installed.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
roncooper Thank you for your great review!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Thanks for the review OP! Can you briefly detail the install of the clutch spring? My car came with a GT2 slave setup but I am getting a squeak when the clutch pedal is nearly fully depressed/released. I've read it might be the clutch spring so I want to remove and drive without it a bit to see how things go.

Any tips on how to remove/install it? I'll make sure to stretch prior -- lying in that position under the pedals is a PITA.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Thanks for the solid review.

I think I will pull the trigger on this shortly as well. Stock pedal feel is driving me batso.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
How will this feel combined with an ERP Triple?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by TypeRx
Thanks for the review OP! Can you briefly detail the install of the clutch spring? My car came with a GT2 slave setup but I am getting a squeak when the clutch pedal is nearly fully depressed/released. I've read it might be the clutch spring so I want to remove and drive without it a bit to see how things go.

Any tips on how to remove/install it? I'll make sure to stretch prior -- lying in that position under the pedals is a PITA.

Installing the spring is tricky. Laying on your right shoulder you will need to depress the clutch pedal. I would recommend swapping the clutch spring with the BBI slave not yet installed in the car and the original slave removed.

Once you depress the clutch pedal and finding the right spot you can take a flat screwdriver and pop out the side that is attached to the pedal do not attempt to remove to gold keeper prior to detaching the spring assembly from the pedal.

Now press the clutch spring up removing it from the two apposed posts the clutch spring pivots on.

Now while lying on your back looking up at the steering wheel. Tilt the bottom of the clutch spring towards the gear shifter at roughly 45 degrees and rotate the pin closest to the gear shifter towards you at 90 degrees. If done correct the clutch spring will come directly down towards you on the floor.

Installing is the reverse. It took 30 minutes but could take longer pending how well you manipulate the clutch spring in the assembly.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me more about the red compression fitting? D0 you lift it up, slide a tube in then push the red fitting down?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roncooper
Installing the spring is tricky. Laying on your right shoulder you will need to depress the clutch pedal. I would recommend swapping the clutch spring with the BBI slave not yet installed in the car and the original slave removed.

Once you depress the clutch pedal and finding the right spot you can take a flat screwdriver and pop out the side that is attached to the pedal do not attempt to remove to gold keeper prior to detaching the spring assembly from the pedal.

Now press the clutch spring up removing it from the two apposed posts the clutch spring pivots on.

Now while lying on your back looking up at the steering wheel. Tilt the bottom of the clutch spring towards the gear shifter at roughly 45 degrees and rotate the pin closest to the gear shifter towards you at 90 degrees. If done correct the clutch spring will come directly down towards you on the floor.

Installing is the reverse. It took 30 minutes but could take longer pending how well you manipulate the clutch spring in the assembly.
Did you also put a pin/nail the clutch spring housing to prevent it from dislodging? I found this picture which explains it I think.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me more about the red compression fitting? D0 you lift it up, slide a tube in then push the red fitting down?
With the tool I made you slide it between the red comp fitting a the bulbous on the line and it's you insert the tool the line simply comes out.

With out the tool you'll need to push in the red fitting while pulling out on the line. The PITA part is you need to have enough radial contact I the red comp fitting for it to release.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by TypeRx
Did you also put a pin/nail the clutch spring housing to prevent it from dislodging? I found this picture which explains it I think.

No I didn't need to do anything like that

Old 05-25-2016, 01:01 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
anyone got a part # for the spring ,i already have the BBI slave & tranny is out & would like to put this in when it goes back in

Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM
I just ordered one (GT3 helper spring). Part # is 997-423-081-06

Sunset Porsche has a great price but I had trouble processing my payment so I ordered through Paramount Auto for $75 shipped.

Hat tip to Duckstu who posted part numbers and other info on Rennlist.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
just use a home depot spring. just enough tension to allow cruise control to work. about 3$ using the stock spring housing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: BBI clutch slave install and review.