997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Race helmet advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Race helmet advice

Hey guys, I’m getting ready to do my first HPDE track event in a couple months at Mid Ohio. Was wanting to
get some advice on what race helmets are you all using? Looking for something that’s safe, relatively comfortable so I can see easily out of and won’t break the bank.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
First time out, Mid-Ohio! It's an awesome track you'd love it. As for helmets, the top manufacturers are all good (Bell, Shoei, Stilo, etc.). The most important thing is fit and each one fits differently. For my head Shoei fits really well and have been wearing those for car and bike. Since I had to get a new one (SNEL) I tried Stilo and it fits really nicely. It's light, extremely well made, easy to see out of. It is on the pricey side about $900-1,000 but mama said I am worth it :-)

Get yourself a good instructor and learn the track, your car, yourself as it is a technical track but man it's an awesome track.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 512bb
First time out, Mid-Ohio! It's an awesome track you'd love it. As for helmets, the top manufacturers are all good (Bell, Shoei, Stilo, etc.). The most important thing is fit and each one fits differently. For my head Shoei fits really well and have been wearing those for car and bike. Since I had to get a new one (SNEL) I tried Stilo and it fits really nicely. It's light, extremely well made, easy to see out of. It is on the pricey side about $900-1,000 but mama said I am worth it :-)

Get yourself a good instructor and learn the track, your car, yourself as it is a technical track but man it's an awesome track.

Have fun and keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice. Super excited about running the car and seeing how it performs. I’m doing it with our local PCA club so should be a lot of fun. I wish there was a shop here in Mid OH where I can go try on various helmets, if anyone knows one, let me know.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Even if there isn't a race shop to try on auto racing helmets, there probably is a motorcycle shop that sells helmets in the area. If you happen to be considering a brand that sells both (e.g. Arai, Bell), you can always to to the bike shop and try on the motorcycle helmets to get the right sizing. Then order the auto helmet in the right size online. I've used Arai (mostly for my motorcycle) and Bell (auto track days) helmets and like both.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
I have a Zamp helmet that was $179. Its SA2015 rated, quite comfortable, and fits me well. www.speedwaymotors.com sells them. I believe they are manufactured by bell. No frills, but definitely worth a look.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys for the quick advice. I was in New Jersey this past week and found a local speed shop that had a full stock of variety of helmets. For the money and fit, ended up going with an HJC helmet.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by IMI A
I like the new Bell lids as they do not mist up. Very nice.

Have you managed to squeeze out any 60-130 mph, quarter mile or half mile stats yet? Curious to see if a forged build is worth it with VTGs especially with new 991 GT2 RS VTG turbos becoming available very soon.

It's on my to-do list this spring. Nothing but snow and salt on the road right now, so she's sitting comfortably in the garage. As soon as it warms up, I'll try to get some hits done...

Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 AM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
don't forget Hans .... worth the price for a bit of safety ... enjoy

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Late to this thread but FWIW I recently went from using the lower-end (~$400) Bells to a much, much nicer Stilo composite bucket (~$900) and OMG it is totally worth it IMO if you spend any significant time on-track. The Stilo is not only lighter but also way more comfortable, more adjustable, and also has built-in hearing protection 'earmuffs'.

Also as Triplenet noted ^^^ a head/neck restraint like a Hans is a "no brainer" even if not strictly required by your club/sanctioning body. This is assuming the car has real harness belts as well, otherwise I don't know that you can or should (safely) use a Hans with 3pt street belts.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
I use a Simpson Vudo, I have different visors for day and night. Its a bit bulky but I mainly only do drag events.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Late to this thread but FWIW I recently went from using the lower-end (~$400) Bells to a much, much nicer Stilo composite bucket (~$900) and OMG it is totally worth it IMO if you spend any significant time on-track. The Stilo is not only lighter but also way more comfortable, more adjustable, and also has built-in hearing protection 'earmuffs'.

Also as Triplenet noted ^^^ a head/neck restraint like a Hans is a "no brainer" even if not strictly required by your club/sanctioning body. This is assuming the car has real harness belts as well, otherwise I don't know that you can or should (safely) use a Hans with 3pt street belts.

Thanks for the heads up on Stilo, had not tried those yet even though I just bought the HJC helmet. My car still has the stock seat setup so no harness belts yet where I could use the Hans device...

Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 AM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dguth
My car still has the stock seat setup so no harness belts yet where I could use the Hans device...
I believe there is a device that works for Hans with stock belt set up...

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro

Old 02-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Mig7410 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by campbellcj

I also went with the Stilo. I was at NCM and they have a Winding Road store there. So I got to try them on, went all out on the carbon fiber one. Just picked up a composite for my wife.
They are so light and having the communication built in is wonderful.

What date are you going to be at MidOhio, I usually go up a few times a year.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mig7410
I also went with the Stilo. I was at NCM and they have a Winding Road store there. So I got to try them on, went all out on the carbon fiber one. Just picked up a composite for my wife.
They are so light and having the communication built in is wonderful.

What date are you going to be at MidOhio, I usually go up a few times a year.
I’m going to be there running the car 4/26 through 4/28.