997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

COBB PDK Flash Review

Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
COBB PDK Flash Review

i recently decided to move forward with the COBB PDK flash for my 997.2 Turbo. i figured another post on my impressions couldn't hurt (i didn't see a lot of info on the forums since its release), so here is a brief review:

IIRC, i emailed/PM'ed Sam at By Design on a late friday afternoon right before Christmas. Sam got back to me within minutes on details about the COBB PDK release and within a few more minutes, i had a transaction processed with him. which in turn, he got me the COBB file directly from COBB, literally mins after our initial communication. honestly, i thought this would take weeks to get squared away - but again, between Sam and COBB a day or two before Christmas, the file was in my inbox. now that is some serious service and promptness. you must have the latest firmware on your COBB A/P, so make sure that is all up to date before loading the file onto the unit (after the firmware update, restart your computer and then load in the PDK file to the A/P). sadly, i live in Chicago, thus up until recently the weather has sucked (and i don't have a winter setup on my Turbo), so have recently got some good seat time with it as the weather is getting a bit better.

before flashing my Turbo with the file, i called up AMS Performance, which is a huge COBB dealer. AMS is about 4 miles from my house and they have done other work to my Turbo. Hats off to Chris over there on getting me in to play with the file and get it all flashed without any glitch. sometimes having another set of eyes on the process doesn't hurt - so thanks again to AMS for consistent support for me and porsches, though their work in the GTR market speaks for itself. the flash took about 2-3 mins and that is it. no other work needed to take immediate advantage of the file. i don't have experience with many other tuning options for porsche, but i had a 2001 Audi B5 S4 with a lot of work done to it in the past. tuning for the S4 was essential for taking advantage of bigger turbos, etc, but a headache too. COBB has this process down very well! final note: i flashed the sport PDK file, not the more aggressive ones since my car barely gets driven, let alone has never seen a track. i did not do the PDK learn step which is mentioned in some of the COBB release notes for the more aggressive files.

onto the impressions:

**the Turbo now shifts like it should have since Day 1. if you have a Turbo with PDK, you know what i'm talking about. it lags enough for me to have noticed & wished it was a bit more tight/firm/aggressive. and thats in comparison to a lot of DTC cars out there. i have never driven a newer 991+ porsche, but everyone says PDK shifts much faster in the newer Porsches, than the 997s. well, again, i can't make a direct comparison there - but there is no question the car shifts faster not only in 'normal/eco' mode but also in sport and sport plus. downshifts are quick and aggressive. crisp, tight and boom.

**i primarily drive the car in sport mode when temps are up and warm. at WOT, shifts are lightening fast and man o man - makes the whole car performs to another level. it literally adds another grin to the driving experience!
**i did not change or request the paddle +/- orientation. I'm comfortable the way it is via porsche. i was looking forward to putting the car in neutral by pulling both paddles inward at the same time, but that doesn't do the trick. not sure if this feature was actually released with the file, so if COBB is reading - any thoughts on that would be great.

**if you have frustrations or qualms about pulling a paddle and then the shift occurring - that does not change here. which is my only gripe. the actual shift occurs (milliseconds I'm sure) after the pull is physically made - not simultaneously. I'm sure there is a lot to do here from an electronics stand point, so not sure this will ever change.

so there is my brief review of the COBB PDK flash. its works right out of the box with the COBB A/P. the flash itself takes only 2-3 mins and the stock PDK file can be re-flashed at any time backwards. if you currently drive a PDK Turbo, i assure you the notice is worth the $$$.

hats off again (big time) to Sam at By Design, COBB, and AMS Performance.

if anyone has questions, PM me or reply here. i will answer what i can based on my experiences thus far. i'll post this to the other forum so those who go over there can see the info too. pic of my beast, bring on spring!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5260.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	521787  
Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Awesome review of the product bud and thanks for the kind words.

Paddle neutral is in the sequential map. The guys did what they could to speed up response as much as possible. 991 gen. is a little different and better in that aspect. .2 even better than .1. But on every model Cobb finds ways to make it a faster, better driving experience! Say hi to Chris and the AMS crew!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Anything new on this ??

More recent impressions?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Just got my Cobb AP and bought the PDK tune from Sam. Not had a chance to load / drive it with the PDK yet. Working until Tues. and then I'll be able to play.

Only drove my car on the OTS Stg. 2 - 93 Oct. tune so far but for a short time / distance. Nice bump in hp.

OP, did you ever try the next Level above "SPORT" on the PDK tune??? The "AGRESSIVE" tune says it's adds everything the SPORT adds but also it makes upshifts / down shifts even Faster. Seems like that what you were looking for.

Please post up any new opinions / experiences on this for us that are just now getting it. Or send me a PM if there's anything you can share that you don't want to post here.

Thank you,

David

Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM
hey david - i'm running the Sport mode for the PDK tune.

my Turbo is street only (more like garage queen) and i find the Sport mode to be plenty in terms of faster shifting, etc. i didn't want something that was too aggressive for street driving, so i don't have any direct experience with the aggressive tune. the Sport PDK mode with Sport Plus engaged is plenty damn nice for me and matches very well with the engine for those spirited drives.

i suggest sticking with the Sport mode flash first, get comfortable with that and then jump to aggressive if you feel you need it.

you also have a Turbo S, so from what i have read some say the Turbo S has a bit more aggressive stock PDK shifting than the Turbo (which is what I have). I'm not sure if any of that is really true though.

so, you may see more gaines via the aggressive mode. honestly, you will have to try them both out and report back on what suits you best.

bottom line from my side: it was a great add to the PDK trans and I'm still 100% behind it.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

I'll do that. Start in Sport and get a handle on how it changed, and then move to "aggressive" (NOT the Hight Torque Aggressive!! - that's for %50 over stock power) and give a review on that as well.

Thanks again,

David

Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM
awesome! my Turbo is going into hibernation with winter approaching, so please do report back on the aggressive PDK tune when you get some seat time with it. i may try it out in the spring.

i don't have any interest in the high torque option either, so aggressive is as 'high' as i will take it pending hearing a good review from you! i assure you: AMS ICs (i believe you are still considering adding upgraded ICs), Cobb PDK Tune, Cobb Engine Tune, TPC -DSC and EP (my exact setup for my Turbo)....your car will be bananas.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by djillusion
awesome! my Turbo is going into hibernation with winter approaching, so please do report back on the aggressive PDK tune when you get some seat time with it. i may try it out in the spring.

i don't have any interest in the high torque option either, so aggressive is as 'high' as i will take it pending hearing a good review from you! i assure you: AMS ICs (i believe you are still considering adding upgraded ICs), Cobb PDK Tune, Cobb Engine Tune, TPC -DSC and EP (my exact setup for my Turbo)....your car will be bananas.

Yes Sir, I will report back..Soon I hope.
Here in Atlanta, I should be able to drive my car on the nicer days, even in Winter here. (Cold tires will not be good for acceleration, but can still test the PDK tunes and such).

Yes, The Europipe, TPC DSC, Cobb with a Protune (570 ish WHP) and PDK tune, and it should be a really strong reliable street car.

I keep reading different reviews on Upgrading IC's...Seems some people still think the stock 997.2 IC's are still really good and aren't needing replaced until you start bolting on even more parts and going over the 600WHP range. For now, I'm sticking with Stock IC's. Once I decide on a Protune, I'll let the "tuner" tell me if they think aftermarket IC's will net me anything for the $$ spent and also if it will be "Safer" for the engine. Safe and Reliable is my goal (as is for most folks I'm sure). I don't have engine / tranny Rebuild money...lol I need to keep it "safe".

Thanks and I'll post up again soon.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Well i got to drive my car today with the PDK "Sport" tune. I Really like the shift strategy of it!! Even seemed a bit smoother as well.

After driving it a bit and getting it up to temp, I did the "Relearn" procedure. Interesting things the car does (sounds, raised rpm's, clunks, etc.) while doing it though.

The drive afterwards seems bit "rougher" at first. Seems like after I put a few miles on it in "sport mode" and in "normal" mode, that it smoothed out a bit. I'm sure since the tolerances were adjusted (tightening things up a bit), that it'll take some time to learn and get completely adjusted.

Secondly, I tried the COBB Stg. 3 - 93 Octane tune.... My car instantly did not like it. Seemed rough and missing a bit. I guess the 3 bar MAP sensors are a MUST for this tune. I immediately switched back to the Stage 2 - 93 Octane OTS tune. MUCH smoother and better running.

I still need to get more miles on it with the tune and PDK tune to get a full review of it, but I'd say buying the PDK tune from SambyDesign was a good move. Now I know why he told me to try the "sport" pdk tune first. The "Aggressive" pdk mode is supposed to hold the gears even longer in each gear. I think that'd be bit too much RPM in each gear for street driving ( Like driving around in Sport Plus was on stock software).