997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brake lights always on with ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM
malignancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake lights always on with ignition

Hey guys (and gals) I did multiple searches, all which were either too generic or did not return any results. I thought I saw a tread on this so I apologize if there's another one out there.

PROBLEM: I've noticed that my 2007 997 Turbo's tail lights are always on (as well as my front/lower parking lights and headlights) when ever the car is started. I called the Porsche 800 number about turning them off and the guy said he couldn't find anything in his resources about turning them off. I also called my local dealer who knew nothing about them, said he'd "look into it and call me back", which he never did.

I don't have the Sports CChrono package (as far as I know) so I don't think that is an option as well.

You guys are more informed than the dealer or 1 800 PORSCHE. Any insight?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Anyone?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Edgemonty007 has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemonty007 has a spectacular aura about
Is your car a Canadian car by chance? I live in BC and it is a requirement for us to have those when the ignition is on. I believe a local indy should be able to turn it off with a Durametric Pro or PIWIS

Last edited by Edgemonty007; 05-07-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply, Edge. The car was originally sold in AZ. You mentioned an "Indy" could turn them off. What's an Indy?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
"Indy" is a colloquialism for Independent Repair Shop vs. a Porsche Authorized service facility.

For some repairs, it is much more economical to find a reputable Indy rather than visiting the Porsche facility, although there will be times where you want to go to Porsche to deal with issues.

For me, since I have been working on cars for decades, my normal firing order for diagnostics/repairs is:

1. Me
2. Porsche

Ed

Old 05-07-2018, 01:52 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
This has happened to me.. not once, but twice.

If your battery gets too low, it does bad stuff to the electrics on these cars.

I've had my car thrown into DRL mode where the heads/tails stay on all the time

I've also had my car keep the tails on only along with the license plate lights.. when this happened I also got a fault on the dash.

Both instances I was able to clear the codes with the Duramatric

Old 05-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by lliejk
"Indy" is a colloquialism for Independent Repair Shop vs. a Porsche Authorized service facility.

For some repairs, it is much more economical to find a reputable Indy rather than visiting the Porsche facility, although there will be times where you want to go to Porsche to deal with issues.

For me, since I have been working on cars for decades, my normal firing order for diagnostics/repairs is:

1. Me
2. Porsche

Ed
Thank you for clarifying. I too, prefer to work on my car(s) when it's a job within my abilities. While not having a lift, I'm not sure how much work I'll actually be able to do myself. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
This has happened to me.. not once, but twice.

If your battery gets too low, it does bad stuff to the electrics on these cars.

I've had my car thrown into DRL mode where the heads/tails stay on all the time

I've also had my car keep the tails on only along with the license plate lights.. when this happened I also got a fault on the dash.

Both instances I was able to clear the codes with the Duramatric
Go figure. My battery has died twice since I've owned it. Can't recall if the tail lights staying on coincide with the dead battery. Anything in particular I should tell the shop with the Duramatic?

Also, just throwing this out there, is there anyone who can recommend a shop in the DFW area?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by malignancy
Thank you for clarifying. I too, prefer to work on my car(s) when it's a job within my abilities. While not having a lift, I'm not sure how much work I'll actually be able to do myself. Time will tell.

Go figure. My battery has died twice since I've owned it. Can't recall if the tail lights staying on coincide with the dead battery. Anything in particular I should tell the shop with the Duramatic?

Also, just throwing this out there, is there anyone who can recommend a shop in the DFW area?
It doesnt happen every time. You should buy the cable yourself. Its one of the best investments you can have with these cars.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
It doesnt happen every time. You should buy the cable yourself. Its one of the best investments you can have with these cars.
I've heard they are tricky to use but I have thought about it.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by malignancy
I've heard they are tricky to use but I have thought about it.
Not at all. Very easy

Old 05-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Well thanksnto both of you fornthe recommendations. I'll start pricing them out. Any particular model we need for our cars (sorry this is a very new concept for me)?