997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Motor trend reports 7:40 at the ring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
The X73/X50 Turbo is not a "modded up model", those are factory options.
You know what I meant! (the price increase one would pay for a TT with them options)

--- Kevin

PS: It's all relative in the world of high dollar exotics though, its gets worst for ferrari!...look at the mucho expensive Ferrari's as mentioned....a regular ($160K) 360 modena gets its *** handed to it by a regular 996TT ($120K new, $70K now)...and even the super expensive and rare stradale was a 7:56 ?? ...just barely matching the 996 TT. I thought the F430 was going to be "all that" and then some but thats not the case track-wise. What are they going for now $200+K ?? With GM you get ultimate bang for the buck / worst in the exclusivity & prestige factor....with Ferrari/lambo/Aston's you get the ultimate exclusivity & prestige factor but worst bang for the buck.......with Porsche, you generally get a nice combination of both*

Last edited by Kevin D; 02-09-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
I thought I saw a Nurburgring laptime for the GT2 as low as 7:42. In fact, there was a magazine that referenced the Z06's 7:43 time as slightly slower than the GT2's 7:42.

Am I imagining this?

Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 05997S
They ran it on cup tires which is kind of BS but..... Thought this car would beat a ZO6 out of the box, now I don't think it will.

How many seconds would the Cup tires reduce lap times versus the standard MPS2?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 PM
variable is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kevin D
You know what I meant! (the price increase one would pay for a TT with them options)

--- Kevin

PS: It's all relative in the world of high dollar exotics though, its gets worst for ferrari!...look at the mucho expensive Ferrari's as mentioned....a regular ($160K) 360 modena gets its *** handed to it by a regular 996TT ($120K new, $70K now)...and even the super expensive and rare stradale was a 7:56 ?? ...just barely matching the 996 TT. I thought the F430 was going to be "all that" and then some but thats not the case track-wise. What are they going for now $200+K ?? With GM you get ultimate bang for the buck / worst in the exclusivity & prestige factor....with Ferrari/lambo/Aston's you get the ultimate exclusivity & prestige factor but worst bang for the buck.......with Porsche, you generally get a nice combination of both*

Ringtimes and car magazine tests aren't everything... My guess is that people buying F360's and F430's don't care all that much about times or "bang for the buck". Cars like that have an altogether different appeal.

For me. the 911 turbo is that rare combination of supercar and everyday driver, without the attention that a F or L car gets but still with a good amount of class. Perfect.

But hey, if I could get a used F430 for 70k... with maintenance that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg... I would get it.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I thought I saw a Nurburgring laptime for the GT2 as low as 7:42. In fact, there was a magazine that referenced the Z06's 7:43 time as slightly slower than the GT2's 7:42.

Am I imagining this?
Your not, the Z06 clocked 7:42.99 to be exact

--- Kevin

PS: Like someone had mentioned though, I personally feel chevy had gone through several suspension set-ups (and possibly even tires) to get that one-off banzai run in....with a race car driver running it of course. Don't get the impression this was a run of the mill "off the showroom floor" Z06 with a "decent" driver pumping out that number. I think an article stated they brough 5 different Z06's with 5 slightly different suspension set-ups (stock suspension/equipment though) and their race car driver was trying all day until they got that lap time.....as if they were qualifying for the "brickyard" or something, LOL! ...(still impressive thou)

Last edited by Kevin D; 02-10-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road
those tyres make a huge difference though,Im sure i read a time of 7.50 on normal tyres somewhere.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 PM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
I wouldnt doubt the z06 getting a 7.43 on the ring. The car is was very closely made with the c6R which is quite frankly destroying the competition. For all out track performance the z06 is impressive. If you think about the Hp/weight ratios for the gt2 and z06 the numbers should be very close, i think times would be dependant on suspension and tires. Do i really think it did 7.43 on the goodyear runflats.... no, it was probably on Perellis or michielens. Regardless, its still a chevy.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
TZL
TZL is on a distinguished road
honestly N'ring times are all good and such, but they are factory prep'd cars driven by professional race drivers. N'Ring times are good for evaluting cars against each other, but a 1 second or two here and there is only good for boosting everyone ePenis size........

In the end all that matters is if you can beat your track group or your driving buddies...........Walter Rohrl driving a Boxster 2.7 would probably kick my *** driving a C-GT around the N'Ring if we had a face off this weekend.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TZL
honestly N'ring times are all good and such, but they are factory prep'd cars driven by professional race drivers. N'Ring times are good for evaluting cars against each other, but a 1 second or two here and there is only good for boosting everyone ePenis size........
That's why I only use ring times from the same independent driver, Sport Auto magazine's Horst von Saurma. It's interesting to see what he can do with this much praised Z06*, for example GM said C6 Vette does 7.56 and in the hands of von Saurma it did 8.15...and yes he is a fast driver. Some of his laptimes are online at www.track-challenge.com (the site is worth checking out, hopefully it would be updated soon, there's a bunch of new fast cars he has tested).

Originally Posted by TZL
In the end all that matters is if you can beat your track group or your driving buddies...........
That's correct, or if you can't beat them at least you can have some funny little races at the tracks!
Next trip to ring will be done with a modded 996 Turbo... we'll see how many streetcars can beat that in May (but safety is a main priority, kind of dangerous track as you know...)

*Z06 gets my respect. Nice car and it will be a rare one here (long waiting list and only few cars available.)

Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !crush Is a GOD !
Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
Not being bais here, as I myself really like the C6 Z06 just as much the Porsche 997 TT. After reading the article, I find that GM is being fishy about their tires information.

In the site, it only listed that it is running with thread tires. As we all know, R compound tires have thread as well. It is highly possible that the C6 Z06 was using the R Compound because if not they would be highly proud of themself and state it was a set of street tires. It seems to me that GM is trying to hide the facts while Porsche is being honest about it.

To a customer, if Porsche hide the information away and if one founds out, the whole internet will know. And what does that mean? Everyone will know since it only take so little time to spread out such information. That will be ashame to Porsche and ruin their reputation. However, to GM is ok because they don't really have any reputation other than bang for the buck for reliable cars with factories shutting down.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 AM
911m3s2k is on a distinguished road
There's no accurate comparison here anyway. All of these 'Ring time comparisons are rough indicators at best. Track conditions at the 'Ring change lap times so significantly that to compare two vehicles that ran at two completely different times, with two completely different drivers, doesn't tell you much more then the "category" of car it is... That being said, the 997 TT, Z06, F430, 360/360CS are all in the same general category...DAMN FAST and probably more then most people can take to the limit...

just my .02

Last edited by 911m3s2k; 02-24-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911m3s2k
There's no accurate comparison here anyway. All of these 'Ring time comparisons are rough indicators at best. Track conditions at the 'Ring change lap times so significantly that to compare two vehicles that ran at two completely different times, with two completely different drivers, doesn't tell you much more then the "category" of car it is... That being said, the Z06, F430, 360/360CS are all in the same general category...DAMN FAST and probably more then most people can take to the limit...

just my .02
Well said.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911m3s2k
There's no accurate comparison here anyway. All of these 'Ring time comparisons are rough indicators at best. Track conditions at the 'Ring change lap times so significantly that to compare two vehicles that ran at two completely different times, with two completely different drivers, doesn't tell you much more then the "category" of car it is... That being said, the Z06, F430, 360/360CS are all in the same general category...DAMN FAST and probably more then most people can take to the limit...

just my .02
Your 964 turbo is beautiful! Can you please post some pictures? A friend of mine is trying to find a mint 964 3.6 Turbo however he is having a hard time to even find one for sale.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I would love to see a 997TT or a GT2 etc... line up with a ZO6 at the ring on the same day, both with cup tires or PS2's and see how they shake out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor trend reports 7:40 at the ring