997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dyno test of do88 intercooler for 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:40 PM
fyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant future
Dyno test of do88 intercooler for 997.1 TT

Hello!

I thought some of you might be interested in the results from some dyno tests of the do88 intercooler which I have done on my 997 turbo tiptronic. I did the tests one the same day with the car still strapped to the dyno, so no differences due to car placement on the dyno roller. I removed the rear bumper so I could easily swap HW on the dyno. Two powerful fans were placed to blow air on the intercoolers since the test cell fan did not provide cooling to the sides of the car. Engine lid was open during all runs.

The intercooler kit is this one: https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/pors...ooler-kit.html
I actually bought the Big Pack, but I only did the dyno testing on the intercoolers (I had extra hoses for this). I thought that it would be too many hours on the dyno for all, and I might not be able to test all in one day. From my last dyno test I learned that ambient conditions can interfere a lot so I was very determined to test with same conditions to get some actual data. Being an OEM calibrator I know the importance of that, but my managers don’t agree and won’t let me run my car in our emission laboratory =) .

Car specs:
2.5” exhaust with 100 cells catalytic converters. Muffler with internal X-pipe (ferrita). It has a cut-out but it was closed during these tests.
BMC airfilter in stock airbox
300 kPa MAP sensor after the throttle. Stock TMAP is still used for air charge temperature.
do88 intake pipes, which I actually tested before and can be found here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-997-1-tt.html

Fuel:
98 octane (RON).

Tune:
My car runs Syvecs S6+ PnP ECU calibrated by me. Target boost is 1.0 bar for all dyno runs. This was not my final numbers, but I thought it would be a good reference for the intercooler comparison. I did not change anything in the calibration and let the closed loop lambda feedback handle any airflow changes related to the HW swap.
I did three dyno runs with each hardware and the plots are the average from these runs. I did not lock the dyno at low speed and was calm on the accelerator pedal so boost build-up is later than normal. Since OEM IC’s struggle a lot at higher engine speeds I did not think this was an issue.

Dyno:
Dyno used is a single axle DynoJet, so I had removed the prop shaft before the tests. With only RWD, sport mode cannot be enabled and I will have a lower shift point than my set engine speed limiter. Since this dyno shootout I have upgraded my TCU calibration by ES Motor and I now have a higher shift point. Good improvement along with shorter shift times and raised torque limitations.
All runs were made on fourth gear with 1:1 ratio. Average sweep speed is 441 rpm/sec, and that is not controlled but actually what I get with this particular dyno at this power level.

Results:
I think that the numbers below speaks for them self. 15 degrees C lower air charge temp, 10% better intercooler efficiency and finally +29 whp and + 24 wNm. All values from the dyno are uncorrected. Average ambient temperature was 16,6 deg C for OEM IC’s and 16,0 degC for do88. Looking at the boost graph it is clear that I did not run with identical boost, especially at higher engine speeds. 5-10 whp extra if I would have updated the boost controller also. However, the overall picture is still the same with lower air charge temperatures.

Overall impressions of the kit:
I really like do88 from my last purchase from them with the intake hoses. I would say similar to other hoses on the market, but without the very annoying Porsche tax that exists on some products. Their new intercooler kit is a lot more money, but I felt they had the data to prove it. Since I knew I was going to a big turbo build, the popular 997.2 IC’s were not so appealing to me. The data shown pointed towards do88, and intercooler performance is always beneficial.

The parts arrived 2 days after I placed my order in two well-organized boxes. I read the manual and started with preparation of the carbon ducts and adding the supplied sealing. Install was quite straightforward. It included cutting in the chassis, but only a bracket for exhaust systems on N/A engines, so no actual loss there. I would not mind if the hoses from IC to Y-pipe were marked left or right, but other than that no problems at all.

I have now installed the entire kit, including GT3 throttle, and I might test those bits separately also. This will be on higher power level since I have gone to EFR7163 turbos.

I hope this helps some of you and your decision-making. My data is also similar to the supplied data by do88, which is always nice. Let me know if you would like to see some more data, the DynoJet data or other stuff. I try to be transparent and my tune is not magic nor secret. I tried to keep it as simple as I could.

Some images. I also have the DynoJet data, but I could not do an average calculation in their SW so I exported all data to Excel. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting your experience. I have the Big Pack and it's an excellent intercooler kit. I would have liked to have tried it with my Champion 68s but ended up upgrading the turbos as well as the intercoolers so I didn't get the comparison data.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
you tested against stock intercooler, not the smaller do88 intercooler, correct?

Old 10-28-2018, 04:59 AM
fyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
you tested against stock intercooler, not the smaller do88 intercooler, correct?
Hi,
Sorry for late reply.

Yes, this test was vs stock intercooler. I did not test the smaller do88 intercooler.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info

How did you adapt the inlet tubes with aftermarket turbos?

Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fyrken
Hi,
Sorry for late reply.

Yes, this test was vs stock intercooler. I did not test the smaller do88 intercooler.
I'll have that info, just have to fix a small boost leak
so far, intake temperature is about the same over ambient when cruising

Old 10-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by 3llooi
Thanks for the info

How did you adapt the inlet tubes with aftermarket turbos?
No problems! Glad that I can help and share some data.

I machined my compressor housing inlet from the original 2,5" and removed maybe 2 mm on the radius. Then I also tried to stretch the do88 hoses as much as I could and I built a special little rig for this. I trimmed the inner part of the hose to add some clearence.
In the end, it was quite an easy fit once I've done those modifications.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 AM
I did a quick excel sheet with the data available from do88 to compare 997.1 with 997.2 and their big pack intercooler kit.
Pressure drop reduction is quite evident, which I also could see on my VTG duty cycle.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor
SRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these partsSRM Engineering is infamous around these parts
Nice results on these !

Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 AM
preliminary results of comparing do88 regular vs Do88 big pack intercoolers strictly on a 60-130 run. Numbers are temperature in Fahrenheit, with e85 and 63.5mm turbos

performance wise, I have a 2psi boost leak somewhere I need to fix

Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
preliminary results of comparing do88 regular vs Do88 big pack intercoolers strictly on a 60-130 run. Numbers are temperature in Fahrenheit, with e85 and 63.5mm turbos

performance wise, I have a 2psi boost leak somewhere I need to fix

Nice data with this comparison.
Now we have them compared to .1, .2 and their smaller package.

do88 are having 18% off this black friday weekend if anyone is close to pull the trigger on these!
Highly recommended!

Old 11-24-2018, 04:59 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
If the conversion is right, The Big Pack is only $3000+/- for the sale going on right now.

Man, it's tempting since I just got my Cobb AP.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:07 PM
itschris is on a distinguished road
Would be interested to see there smaller application, or if anyone has any reviews on it.