997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Butt Ugly...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge will become famous soon enough
Not into it at all. Damn it! The rims are horrendous. Why the rectangular pipes? If they were round (a la RUF), we'd be in business.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Cutter is on a distinguished road
I'm a Porsche fan had a 96 993 C2, 2000 C2 and just sold a while ago an 01 TT. This new TT just doesn't have that look or feel that you wanna rush and get 1. Its just too busy all over. Almost like they took the old 993 sent it to Japan and put some funky kit on it. The wheels are absolutly horrible. Would prefer the CS with the Aero Kit Turbo. Sorry Porsche but you lost me to the new S65.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
You don't really bond with a car until its first wash and wax job. The specs on the TT are impressive to say the least. Would I trade my GT3 in on one.....not at this point in time, maybe in a few years.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:14 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
I said the same thing when I saw the 996 for the first time.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it on the street, can't really get a good feel for it in the pictures. The wheels are hideous though, I can't believe they're sticking with those ugly children's tricycle looking things. GT3 does look much more promising as of right now.
:werd: It took me a long time to open up to the 996, as well as many people I know. The 997 is already growing on me

Old 02-15-2006, 09:16 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin D
I would say I have to agree completely, and no your not the only one whom feels this....a LOT of other people guys are. And to add insult to injury = its even HEAVIER than the 996 TT to boot... The GT3 will definitely be the "hot," sought after model...you're not the only one on THAT decision either, lol.

--- Kevin
the mags stated it's lighter then the 996TT

Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
I'm reserving judgement till I see what TechArt does with the car. The stock wheels are hideous, but how many people actually keep their stock wheels on the car...especially on this board?!?

Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 AM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
the mags stated it's lighter then the 996TT
Apparently just more "new model hype"...the stats from Porsche itself have come in to show nearly 3500lbs for the manuel and 3571 for the tip....I'm sorry but thats just PIG heavy to go with "butt" ugly, lol...the new 997 GT3 will be the "hot" model...and getting a CPO'ed 996 TT X50 would be a lot better value too.

---Kevin

Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM
bond will become famous soon enough
My Questions are:

How does Porsche list only a single set of numbers when an overboost option is available? - Either the Sport Chrono version is the quoted numbers OR faster. OR..... the non Sport Chrono version is slower than numbers.

Regardless of above, I am really curious what the 1/4 mile trap speed is for the tip at 3571 lbs and "only" 480 hp - does it just BANG out of the hole (ala the 3.4 to 60), then have low trap speed? - Doesn't it take 550 hp with this kind of weight to do 11.6 - even with a lot of area under the torque curve (which it obviously will have).

It also appears to be the quickest auto car money can buy right now, the SL65's don't do 3.4 stock do they?, even so nothing else does that I am aware of.

Bond

Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bond
My Questions are:

How does Porsche list only a single set of numbers when an overboost option is available? - Either the Sport Chrono version is the quoted numbers OR faster. OR..... the non Sport Chrono version is slower than numbers.

Regardless of above, I am really curious what the 1/4 mile trap speed is for the tip at 3571 lbs and "only" 480 hp - does it just BANG out of the hole (ala the 3.4 to 60), then have low trap speed? - Doesn't it take 550 hp with this kind of weight to do 11.6 - even with a lot of area under the torque curve (which it obviously will have).

It also appears to be the quickest auto car money can buy right now, the SL65's don't do 3.4 stock do they?, even so nothing else does that I am aware of.

Bond
I think you're "on the money" with your assessment. You can't cheat the law of physics, and its obvious they're using "area under the curve" to hit their 0-60 & 1/4mile e.t. numbers (which are the most important numbers from a "marketing" perspective) After that, this PIG will fall flat on its face...and I can promise its trapspeeds will be relative low relative to its e.t. assume a true "480HP." You CAN'T mask 3571 lbs, our old V8 family sedan was lighter than that, lol. "More marketing, less passion"...pretty much sums up the new 997 TT IMO

...Forutnately I can't say that's all Porsche is about now being that new 997 GT3 was conceived, simply awesome! ...it's been a looong time since a car has made me hurt with lust as with the new GT3 *sigh*

---Kevin

Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
bond will become famous soon enough
Not really being critical of the new 997tt, just more curious really how its all going to wash when members get their cars and actually run them against the clock and other cars, and of course what the car mags get.

The other question is - what will an x50 eventually do?? - 11.2 1/4 with tip?? - 3.1 to 60?? - insane.

Bond

Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 AM
P1 911
Originally Posted by bond
Not really being critical of the new 997tt, just more curious really how its all going to wash when members get their cars and actually run them against the clock and other cars, and of course what the car mags get.

The other question is - what will an x50 eventually do?? - 11.2 1/4 with tip?? - 3.1 to 60?? - insane.

Bond
I personally am curious to see how well the variable geometry turbos they're using will last. I know the aftermarket industry have tried to implement this technology in various turbos and turbo kits for a while now and have had major issues with "reliability." Furthermore it made just "turning up the boost" difficult as turbo life would go severly downhill with VATN style turbos. My experience has shown me that a high stress component like a turbocharger performs best and is most reliable when kept *simple.*" Hence, I'm very wary of the implementation of this style turbo in the new car....having said all that, if there's anyone that can pull it off and keep it reliable..its porsche.

---Kevin

Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
cynicali will become famous soon enough
"997 tt sucks! it's fat and slow!"

"have you driven it?"

"well no..."

"have you seen one in person?"

"well no..."

"Do you have any reason not to believe Porsche when they tell you it's faster that the stock 996tt you covet so much?"

"well no..."

"Did you like the Cayman much more in person than when you first saw it in pics?"

"well yeah but..."

"Do you trust Techart or Gemballa to change the things you don't like, and weren't you planning on after-market rims anyway?"

"well yeah.."

"Then aren't you ragging on a car you will likely adore in a year?"

"well yeah."

/all i'm sayin....

Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think it looks great.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
variable is on a distinguished road
What is annoying to me is that the sports chrono package is an option. Should come standard with the overboost function. And you can bet porsche will a$$rape you for that option, as usual.
And 3500 lbs is pathetic...

Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 20C4S
it's still better looking than the new Ferrari 599.
I disagree. I love the 599GTB. It is now my desktop. I love the look of the 997TT too; however, the rear needs improvement. I don't like the fact that the exhaust looks like the basic 997 that has been inserted into a lower hanging bumper. I love that they kept the 996TT wing, or something very similar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Butt Ugly...