997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Butt Ugly...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kevin D
I personally am curious to see how well the variable geometry turbos they're using will last. I know the aftermarket industry have tried to implement this technology in various turbos and turbo kits for a while now and have had major issues with "reliability." Furthermore it made just "turning up the boost" difficult as turbo life would go severly downhill with VATN style turbos. My experience has shown me that a high stress component like a turbocharger performs best and is most reliable when kept *simple.*" Hence, I'm very wary of the implementation of this style turbo in the new car....having said all that, if there's anyone that can pull it off and keep it reliable..its porsche.

---Kevin
They have used this technology in turbos for years; but limited to diesel. Porsche is the first to apply it to gasoline cars.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
The evolution is much like the Ferrari F430 in that its true to the old design, and subtle in the modernization.

I think it looks great. The X50 will be worth the wait!

Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 AM
dr_sharp is on a distinguished road
SO MUCH DOUBT!!!

C'mon guys... the looks havn't changed "much" (drastically) which means that alot of their resources went into making the car quicker. I totally agree on most accounts that it is lacking something in the looks department. However, I think that on the lot, in person, some will change their minds; and after a test drive MANY will change their minds

With that said, however, the GT3 bandwagon is going to be huge.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
SO MUCH DOUBT!!!

C'mon guys... the looks havn't changed "much" (drastically) which means that alot of their resources went into making the car quicker.
Dr Sharp.......I'll go out on a limb and say you are a 'glass half-full guy' ...... no problem there.....I always tip my hat to someone able to find the silver lining.
That said.......you're right, they haven't changed all that much on the car......and except for the front & the back I like what they've done.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
For those of you who have not seen this thread, check it. It has some p-shops of 997TT's lowered with different wheels. I doesnt look that bad now does it?......
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=42630

Old 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bond
The other question is - what will an x50 eventually do?? - 11.2 1/4 with tip?? - 3.1 to 60?? - insane.

Bond
To drop your 0-60 and 1/4 times on a slow car is fairly simple but when you have a car that "presumably" does 0-60 in 3.4 and 11.6 in the 1/4, I think you need more than a X50 pack to get down to the times you state.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
bond will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
To drop your 0-60 and 1/4 times on a slow car is fairly simple but when you have a car that "presumably" does 0-60 in 3.4 and 11.6 in the 1/4, I think you need more than a X50 pack to get down to the times you state.
I disagree. Look at it from a practical and marketing standpoint - if a new "power pack" (X50 or whatever they will call the new power upgrade) does not result in a difference the consumer will feel, then Porsche would not be able to sell it - since you can be sure it will be in the same high dollar range that the X50 was. 0.3 - 0.4 second differences (0-60 and 1/4 mile) are at the threshold for what is noticeable for the "average" performance enthusiast, and at least a noticeable change for an extra cost power option is always the marketing criteria - especially with a marketing savvy company like Porsche.

Bond

Last edited by bond; 02-16-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
True, it probably has to be that much faster for them to sell it.
But I guess what I was trying to say is that the x50 pack must produce a h*ll of a lot more than the 30bhp that it did for the 996TT.
Maybe it'll be 70bhp more for the 997TT, I don't know, but it has to be alot more than for the 996TT to cut .3sec off the 60 time. Just because it's already so fast.
I don't know how much faster the X50 996TT is than the standard 996TT to 60 but I highly doubt it's 0.3sec.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:15 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
it may be ugly, it's definitely heavy.

but the numbers in the fedex got MY attention. Tip for me.

how do i get 300# out? no sun roof, gt3 seats... then what.

ps i like the wheels. easy to clean once a month

Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
bond will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
True, it probably has to be that much faster for them to sell it.
But I guess what I was trying to say is that the x50 pack must produce a h*ll of a lot more than the 30bhp that it did for the 996TT.
Maybe it'll be 70bhp more for the 997TT, I don't know, but it has to be alot more than for the 996TT to cut .3sec off the 60 time. Just because it's already so fast.
I don't know how much faster the X50 996TT is than the standard 996TT to 60 but I highly doubt it's 0.3sec.
Check your facts and know your facts before you doubt - the "I don't know but I think you are wrong" approach is tiresome.

Bond

Old 02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Ok, yes I don't know but what I'm trying to say is if you have a car that does 0-60 in 3.4sec, you need to add more than 30bhp to make it .3sec faster. That's it. I never said you were wrong.
And if the X50 996TT does 0-60 in 3.9 then I can't understand how the same car with 30bhp less does it in 4.2. I know it's about torque as well but anyway, it sounds a bit easy...
But then again, if c&d can make the 997s go .8sec faster to 60 without any mods, imagine what they would do with 30bhp extra!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
" Different strokes for different folks"

Hahah

Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Beavis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cynicali
"Did you like the Cayman much more in person than when you first saw it in pics?"
Nope. It's still friggin' ugly as hell.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Its soooooooooooooo ugly and performance soooooooooo not impressive that I htink I will stick to Lambo...
Next car is eitheran 07 G spyder or 07 Murci (waiting to see what they reveal in Geneva in a few days)

Old 02-24-2006, 08:24 AM
BD 997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by msindi
Its soooooooooooooo ugly and performance soooooooooo not impressive that I htink I will stick to Lambo...
Next car is eitheran 07 G spyder or 07 Murci (waiting to see what they reveal in Geneva in a few days)
performance not impressive? you ok mansour? I think the heat in Dubai is getting to your head my friend .... The new Turbo is alot faster than a gallardo SE and a 2006 murci...
Lets see a murci do 0-60 in 3.4
-Bueno!!!!! tutosh!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Butt Ugly...