997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sick to my stomach, need help/input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wcarson
Sorry to hear about your bad luck- if it makes you feel any better, my luck was actually worse! I bought a 997.1tt 6MT for fair to upper market value about 18 months ago. Shortly after I bought it, it broke a timing chain and trashed the whole motor. The engine case was OK but valves bent as well as several connecting rods. Metal was found in the oil sump. So I ended up having the entire motor rebuilt....and to a higher standard than stock. It was the full monty- case split, everything apart and replaced or machined. I went with 3.8L forged Mahle p/c, gt3 oil pump, 68mm turbos, carillo rods, EVOMS studs, etc, etc. I also had the cams pinned while it was all apart. It was a huge bill and was quite unpleasant! It left a very unpleasant taste. That being said, the car completely rocks now and is quite fast and is built to last.
Wow, that sounds awful! Any ideas why that happened or was it just bad luck?

Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 AM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Wow, that sounds awful! Any ideas why that happened or was it just bad luck?
Long story- but at "autopsy" the passenger side turbo was completely torn up and at least one of the bank 2 cylinders was full of fuel, causing hydrolock....thus the bend rods. So the working presumption was that the car was boosting asymmetrically and too much fuel was dumping into bank 2 due to the bad turbo or alternatively there were bad injectors.

Good luck to you- I'm sure it'll get fixed and you will enjoy the car. Keep us posted!

Old 07-10-2019, 12:25 PM
csc427 is on a distinguished road
I just took off a set of gt2/997.2 intercoolers. They will be posted for sale soon, pm me if you need them. They’re great at 700whp. Upgraded to proto units in anticipation of bigger things in the near future. Also, had a failed actuator once and was an easy repair.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point

TURBOCHARGER OPERATING ROD CYL. 1-3. PORSCHE 997 TURBO

Code: 99712312
Turbocharger Operating Rod Cyl. 1-3.
Genuine Porsche product

Fits:
Porsche 997 Turbo / GT2 2007-09
Porsche 997 Turbo / GT2 RS 2010-13

part numbers are
LEFT 99712312370 (£30.55)

RIGHT 99712312470 (£30.55)

Thats from a uk site for the actuator rods

Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 AM
banton is an unknown quantity at this point
The shop called last evening and after a test drive, believe we are back in business. Will update once picked up and a drive.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Hey great news. Nothing better than getting back in the drivers seat of these beasts!

Ed

Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
What a relief, so glad to hear that! With the new parts the car might even drive better than when you got it, since the actuators may have been stiff and poorly functioning already.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Good to hear that you may be back in business without breaking the bank. BTW, there are some "sick to your stomach" issues that aren't all that uncommon with these cars - coolant pipes, camshaft, clutch slave etc...- so keep the gravol handy.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 AM
banton is an unknown quantity at this point
Was able to pick-up that car and running well once again. Guessing the passenger side turbo was the culprit for the change in sound and power/response as the arm broke and left left the turbo in the open position and not building boost.. The driver's side turbo was seized and in the closed position, but the shop was able to get that resolved as well. I believe the driver's side was seized when I got the car as my only gripe about the car since purchase was the touchy on/off clutch engagement in first gear. I originally attributed it to the upgraded Sachs clutch, but now that turbo is issue is gone, it resulted in much easier engage of the clutch. Must have been building a small amount of boost with the turbo in the closed position that was creating the challenge of getting going in first gear without it being choppy or killing it off the line. Very happy for this unexpected improvement in drive-ability, especially when in some stop and go traffic.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and input. It was very helpful. Ended up that a couple of new actuator arms and several hours of labor was all it took. While a part of me was ok with the thought of upgrading my set-up due to my turbo issues, the timing for that type of expense can now be better planned for.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I am glad you got it resolved, but I am a bit concerned that the shop wasn't able to make the determination. They wanted you to replace both turbos - and there was absolutely no need for that. I would still take it to a second shop, one that is a lot more familiar with these cars because if there not able to find out the solution easily for something like this, it is best to have someone double check their work. My 2 cents, of course.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
opened thread thinking you popped a motor, dumped coolant on the track, blew up your tranny. Upgrade those snails!