997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Street Coilover Help: Ohlins RT vs MCS 2WNR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Street Coilover Help: Ohlins RT vs MCS 2WNR

My shocks have been slowly dying and now I believe they have given up the ghost.

I appreciate all input, but I am especially looking for insight to those that have experience and have gone down this road before. This is not a cheap chapter that I am entering into & getting this right can truly heighten your experience 2 fold OR the opposit if you get it wrong.

I was a power guy 1st then suspension, but after I had an opportunity to pick up a lightly used set of a KWV3 for my 996T, you had a believer. I finally understood why people put so much $$ on a good set of coilovers even if they are not tracking. The sophistication of how well the vehicle behaves, is something that has to be experienced to understand. All I had on my 996T was RSS Dogbones, H&R F & R sways and then added the KWV3's and wow! It literally was the 2nd best mod (1st being the EPL Billet K16 package LOL) I have ever done on a vehicle.

My Full Review: KW V3 & suspension upgrades impressions! - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Well for the past 8+years I have now had my 997T, my 997T has NEVER felt nowhere as sure footed as my 996T & I have a lot more suspension mods on this 997T (other than coil overs) then I ever had on my 996T.

This is my current list of suspension / handling mods: SUSPENION/BRAKES:

RSS Front Control Arms

RSS Rear Adjustable Rear Link (Dog Bones)

RSS Rear Adjustable Toe Steer Kit

RSS Rear Toe Steer Lock Out Plates

Hard Brake Lines

Pagid Brake Pads RS-19 Front & Rear

GMG Adjustable Front & Rear Sway Bars Kit

H&R Lowering Spring

BBI Front Axel Extenders/Spacers

MISC:

Numeric Racing Shift cables

Porsche Short Shifter

WEVO Engine Mounts

WAVETRACK LSD

Porsche GT3 82mm

IPD 82mm Plenum

Evoms Light Weight Crank Pulley (220g vs 860g stock)

Protomotive Twin Disc Clutch w/ Light Weight Flywheel

At 1st I was looking for a coilover to retain my PASM and keep as much OEM as possible. I would have done the KWV3's, but though this is not the 996 and there must be something that would feel like or better than my 996T KWV3 setup. After MUCH research I came up empty handed & realized that PASM tech is to very old and will never give me the sophisticated feeling of what I experienced in my 996T with KWV3's. B8 with new H&R spring & DSC box OR Bilstein Damptronics (sadly) went out the window. Now a dream of mine & the ultimate suspension would be the TPC Tractive DDA RT Package, but the total cost & adding the US - CDN exchange is getting crazy.

After MUCH research I have settled on Ohlins R/T's OR MCS 2WNR custom set up with Mantis racing (they are a Dealer for MCS).

I have only read positive things / rave reviews about the Ohlins that sounded even better than my review on my KWV3's on my 996T. Some reviews were from people that have experienced even higher end coilovers (Ohlins TTX, KW Clubsports, JRZ Pro's etc) and said for the street and light track they are magic.

I have an opportunity to get a custom set up build from MCS / Mantis Racing with their MCS 2WNR for not too much more. They will put together a custom spring and set up for what I do with my vehicle and my confidence is that with such a high end shock it would absorb irregularities and bring such confidence and enjoyment more then, "lessor" shocks.

I so wanted to keep the PASM button inside the car, as I am getting older and just want to enjoy my 911 more(drive it more), but the difference in the higher end damping technology vs B8 or Damptronic B16's is night and day. Even with a higher spring rates, the higher end shock will still drive better than anything the PASM system can do (OTHER then the Tractive DDA ) for just regular driving & then be on a completely different level once pushed. I would NEVER of believed what I just wrote if I didn't experience it for myself with the KWV3's in my 996T (read my above thread link). My car 996 was stock with only H&R sway bars/RSS motor mounts, then I lowered with the KWV3's & RSS dogbones and the car was JUST the way Porsche should of made the vehicle!! It absorbed bumps in the road like magic, drove 100% LESS harsh over the road and handling was on a difference LEVEL (especially rebound control). It felt like I bought a whole new vehicle.

Either set ups I am going to do either Tarret Monoball shock mounts (not for adjustability, but for a more direct raw feel) OR new Porsche rubber shock mounts with bearings as the car is 14years old. I do still want to keep this a street car without adding a lot more NVH, hence my thoughts of just getting new stock mounts & bearings alongside the coilover I choose. Many people/shops I have spoken to said go for the monoball tops as it will not add a lot more NVH, but will reward me with a more direct feel.

Any help, especially those that know (you know who you are and don't make me call you guys out) would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance for the insight and comments!

Bobby Ali

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 09-25-2022 at 01:59 PM.