997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Powdercoat black these quad tips!
Black out those bad boys!
69.01%
Leave them chrome
26.76%
Other ideas written below
4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Should I powdercoat my tips black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Just FYI, black chrome is not expensive. I was quoted $25 to black chrome my tips by a local industrial coatings company
that's good to know. i was quoted a lot more money when i was checking it out. probably more expensive due the fact that they were subbing the work out and taxing me.

when i eventually get some quad tips, i'll have to look into that. i really liked the black chrome and it's very durable.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
In my mind the black chrome would chip easier. Correct me if I am wrong.

Byron

Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
In my mind the black chrome would chip easier. Correct me if I am wrong.

Byron
well, we all know the status of your mind. need i say more?

all kidding aside, i think it's more durable. all the other chrome parts on vehicles (bumper, wheels, etc) hold up really well.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Here's some pics. More to come in the next day or so. These are ceramic coated and before they are on the car. Remember these are temps until my quads get the same treatment but ya can see how good they look...lol.

Please no pms regarding these tips. They are spoken for by another member once I am done getting my quad tips back. Atomic I will get more pics for ya.

Aloha

Byron
HEY! those used to be my tips from my gemballa exhaust...they look great powdercoated in black byron...glad u can still see gemballa etched into the tips

Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Dude, you have a Cobalt turbo and you're worried about bling?? LOL
Seriously, the blacked out exhaust looks cool.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
I personally don't usually do the black'd out thing, I like to leave a little shine...but they just look amazing in that photoshop.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I say do it! Looks killer in the PS pic.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
do it do it!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Dan
Dan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to behold
I have mixed emotions on this. I think it looks good, but I would think it would be best to stick with Chrome.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Cool

"newbie"I wasn't sure I would like the black tips on my 996. So I removed the tips, cleaned thoroughly with laquer thinner... I sprayed the tips with 1200 degree BBQ grill paint.(dries to the touch 1hr)(7days to completely leaches out chemicals) If you don't like it, you can remove it easily with laquer thinner.
I love the way it looks. I will see how it holds up with the paint. It is very
easy to touch up if needed. I also purchased a turbo oem logo on Ebay
for around $30 and painted it with Krylon semi flat black spray paint.
I have debadged numerous cars and used the krylon paint...it looks great
and holds up on the rear of the car. This is a very easy and economical way
to test out the black for anyone's taste.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Atomic - here's the pictures as promised. Unfortunately the tips were too short but such is life.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Thank you mr. byronmaui! Looks great! What do you plan to do next?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Thank you mr. byronmaui! Looks great! What do you plan to do next?
I plan on taking the quad tips off and sending them to Lucent for ceramic coating. I was hoping to add this Type 3 wing. I am not a wing fan but this thing is hot. I probably won't because I need the porsche reader to make sure my wing does not come up. I know its confusing but all in all I will let Lucent decide my upgrades..

Stole this from another post.

Aloha

Byron

Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
sure be easier to keep the unsightly carbon black
that gathers around the outside of the
chrome rim a bit more stealth.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
great idea

Originally Posted by silvershark
"newbie"I wasn't sure I would like the black tips on my 996. So I removed the tips, cleaned thoroughly with laquer thinner... I sprayed the tips with 1200 degree BBQ grill paint.(dries to the touch 1hr)(7days to completely leaches out chemicals) If you don't like it, you can remove it easily with laquer thinner.
I love the way it looks. I will see how it holds up with the paint. It is very
easy to touch up if needed. I also purchased a turbo oem logo on Ebay
for around $30 and painted it with Krylon semi flat black spray paint.
I have debadged numerous cars and used the krylon paint...it looks great
and holds up on the rear of the car. This is a very easy and economical way
to test out the black for anyone's taste.
Best idea posted. And a lot cheaper and more convenient.
Let us know how the paint holds up on the exhaust cans. Seems like
it would have been easier to just paint them without the removal step?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I powdercoat my tips black?