997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Powdercoat black these quad tips!
Black out those bad boys!
69.01%
Leave them chrome
26.76%
Other ideas written below
4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Should I powdercoat my tips black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Deputy here's the quote from Lucent Motors regarding the wing:

there's a problem. in order to install the wing properly u need the tester to disable the automatic wing. if u don't everytime u go above 75mph the annoying light will come on. when will ur dealer get the computer? haha...

thanks,

arling
Just get the module that plugs into the wiring harness and tricks the ECU. That's what everybody else does. I have an aftermarket deck lid myself. No error lights... I'm using the module. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy the module from MA Shaw, Anziano's, etc.... That's what I did. I don't know why techart does things the hard way. How many body shops have access to the porsche diagnostic computer? I think the module is like $100 or something like that. You can still send me a gift for my good advice

Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Deputy - I will check into it. No body shop on Maui has the porsche tool not even the porsche tech on Maui. Check the mail your gonna love this package.

Byron

Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Just get the module that plugs into the wiring harness and tricks the ECU. That's what everybody else does. I have an aftermarket deck lid myself. No error lights... I'm using the module. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy the module from MA Shaw, Anziano's, etc.... That's what I did. I don't know why techart does things the hard way. How many body shops have access to the porsche diagnostic computer? I think the module is like $100 or something like that. You can still send me a gift for my good advice
I tried that deputydog, with the 997 it is different. I actually found out that I didnt need the other module.
All you need is to have the dealer hook the car up to the machine, it cost like $75-150.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raffi
I tried that deputydog, with the 997 it is different. I actually found out that I didnt need the other module.
All you need is to have the dealer hook the car up to the machine, it cost like $75-150.
read above post. they don't have the computer where he lives.

did you actually try using that module and it didn't work or did you just decide not to use it when you found out they could do it on the computer?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'm having my exhaust tips powdercoated this week. Should be ready for pick-up on Thursday evening. I'll post pictures.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Got them powdercoated..will take better pictures in the daytime tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
wow those loook sweet atomic

Old 03-03-2007, 04:34 AM
stealth is infamous around these parts
Looking Good!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Well, I went on a drive with some BMW and Porsche guys today and after some hard driving I discovered that the extreme heat had burned/melted the powdercoating off!

I'm having the tips ceramic coated this time....hopefully it holds up!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Well, I went on a drive with some BMW and Porsche guys today and after some hard driving I discovered that the extreme heat had burned/melted the powdercoating off!

I'm having the tips ceramic coated this time....hopefully it holds up!
Ok, you didn't believe me the first time when I said PC'ing doesn't work.

Maybe you'll listen this time

Ceramic isn't going to hold up either. It does hold up against the heat better but it is very fragile compared to powdercoating. The tips get exposed to way too much road debris.

I've already been down this road.

Black Chrome is your friend

Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, I should have listened. But however, I'm wondering how you can say that ceramic coating is fragile. A friend of mine has a Dinan M3 which happens to have ceramic coated exhaust tips. After 35,000 miles, it still looks great. Seems to hold up well against chips, etc.

I'm now hearing about a new option called carbon nitride. Not sure what that is but I'm told that it'll hold up quite well.

I'm not sure if I want black chrome because of the "shiny" properties. I want something with a "matte" finish.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Yeah yeah yeah, I should have listened. But however, I'm wondering how you can say that ceramic coating is fragile. A friend of mine has a Dinan M3 which happens to have ceramic coated exhaust tips. After 35,000 miles, it still looks great. Seems to hold up well against chips, etc.

I'm now hearing about a new option called carbon nitride. Not sure what that is but I'm told that it'll hold up quite well.

I'm not sure if I want black chrome because of the "shiny" properties. I want something with a "matte" finish.
I can say the ceramic doesn't work good because I already did it. That was the first thing I tried. Within a month they looked terrible. I am not sure why you're buddie's M3 worked out so well. Maybe it's where his tips are located or the aerodynamics of the rear section of the car deflects debris? I don't really know.

I have no idea what carbon nitride is. Is that what they used to freeze hans solo in?

The black chrome isn't as shiny as you'd think. It looks more like a glossy painted surface with somewhat of a mirror quality to it. I really like it. I think you'd have to use untreated virgin tips to do it propertly since it will show the surface imperfections easily. My tips have been prepped and treated with too many things at this point I'm sure. I need to get a set of stock tips off ebay and try it soon.

My most recent attempt at making this work was some secret process my dealer uses. He didn't tell me what it was. It was flat black and has held the best so far, although it too has shown signs of wear after about 6 months.

So to summarize, here's what I've done so far:

High temp paint: Flaked off almost immediately
Ceramic coating: Ditto
Powdercoating (2X): Melted off in a very short amount of time.
Secret dealer coating : I have some time on these now, but they are starting to look rough too.

Like I said, if I can find some 02 tips cheap, I'll give it a whirl with the black chrome. If that doesn't work I'm throwing in the towel on this one.

I'll give you guys another piece of advice. Whatever you do, don't drive the car without the tips (ie you've sent them off and you're waiting for them to come bacK). Let's just say, it ain't pretty and I'll leave it at that

Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
[quote=deputydog95]I can say the ceramic doesn't work good because I already did it. That was the first thing I tried. Within a month they looked terrible. I am not sure why you're buddie's M3 worked out so well. Maybe it's where his tips are located or the aerodynamics of the rear section of the car deflects debris? I don't really know.

I'm wondering what sort of ceramic coating process was used on your tips. After all ceramic tiles are used on the Space Shuttle for reentry heat protection. As I understand it the exhaust temperatures on the 997TT reach as high as 1100 degrees F. So heat is definitely the problem here. The coating process used and quality control of the process is critical.

Check this out:

Chromex ™ Ceramic Exhaust Coating is the most popular kind of coating on the market today. This type of coating (metallic ceramic) is used by more companies and manufacturers than any other material. It is extremely popular on exhaust systems, where the high luster finish provides a very attractive, durable surface. The high temperature characteristics of ceramics have been combined with metallic frits to create a coating that can withstand metal temperatures in excess of 1300° F and provides 5000 hr. salt spray protection.
A truly unique coating that is based on a water/solvent system, it may be applied to a variety of surfaces and metals such as exhaust system components, brackets, valve covers, hinges, grills, suspension parts or any metal part that can withstand the 500° F cure temperatures. It polishes to a high luster, stainless/chrome appearance that will not rust, and is especially effective as a hard protective coating for aluminum parts.
Satin Ceramic Exhaust Coatings are the most advanced exhaust system coatings available. They are a very durable ceramic-reinforced coating available in various shades. When properly applied, it becomes the most effective thermal barrier coating available, increasing performance while extending component life, and has been tested to over 2000° F without lifting, cracking or flaking.

Seems like these coatings should work. Anyway I intend to check with Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA to see if this will work on Porsche 997TT exhaust tips. If not, I'll just keep the stock tips as they come. (I can only see them when I'm standing in back of the car, which I don't intend to do often.)

Your thoughts Deputy?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I am not sure why you're buddie's M3 worked out so well. Maybe it's where his tips are located or the aerodynamics of the rear section of the car deflects debris? I don't really know.

Most likely it's the temperature difference. The M3 exhaust doesn't see anywhere near the temperatures generated by the 997TT. As far as chipping or any sort of other degradation due to road debris, the Dinan exhaust tips are right there in the "debris field" and have held up like new for 35K+ miles. They tend to get very dirty in wet driving, but clean up nicely.

BTW the whole purpose of the ceramic coating on the Dinan tips was to prevent a mismatch due to discoloration. As you may know BMW's signature on its' M car's is a dual quad exhaust. Dinan's muffler only has one side that is used. So, if a chrome or similar finish were used, the active side would show wear/use while the other would not. With the ceramic coating this not a problem.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know what specific type of ceramic coating they used on mine. It sure did look nice when I picked them up at the shop though.

I have an EGT temp gauge on my car with the sensor just aft of the headers and temps get wayyy up there.

That chromex looks like an interesting option. It would seem that their satin coating is even more durable by the product description.

Again, the ceramic is great for heat. No issues there. I just found it to chip away very quickly. Mine did not have the durability of power coating. On the flip side, the PC did not have the heat resistance of ceramics.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out. I'm still going with the black chrome when I can get my hands on some cheap test tips.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I powdercoat my tips black?