997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: Powdercoat black these quad tips!
Black out those bad boys!
69.01%
Leave them chrome
26.76%
Other ideas written below
4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Should I powdercoat my tips black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
Best idea posted. And a lot cheaper and more convenient.
Let us know how the paint holds up on the exhaust cans. Seems like
it would have been easier to just paint them without the removal step?
It would be hard to prep and paint all the area without removal.
I will post pics when I get my car back this coming weekend.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
I was told by the Porsche tech that the tips don't exceed 200 degrees.
The paint should hold up well in good driving weather.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
I was told by the Porsche tech that the tips don't exceed 200 degrees.
The paint should hold up well in good driving weather.
Good luck with that. I've tried that too. It won't last.

I have an egt gauge on my car. The sensor is mounted after the cats. At full throttle I see temps of 1600 degrees

Old 02-22-2007, 07:27 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
I plan on taking the quad tips off and sending them to Lucent for ceramic coating. I was hoping to add this Type 3 wing. I am not a wing fan but this thing is hot. I probably won't because I need the porsche reader to make sure my wing does not come up. I know its confusing but all in all I will let Lucent decide my upgrades..

Stole this from another post.

Aloha

Byron
the wing will come with a module that plugs into the factory wiring harness. it will trick the ecu into thinking that the wing is working properly so you won't get any errors or lights.

i still say your ceramic coating will look terrible in a few months, but if you must black chrome is the way to go.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
If it doesn't last, then just wash it off. At least you can tell if you like
it better than the stainless look. The other way, there is no turning back.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Once you go black......

Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deputydog95
the wing will come with a module that plugs into the factory wiring harness. it will trick the ecu into thinking that the wing is working properly so you won't get any errors or lights.

i still say your ceramic coating will look terrible in a few months, but if you must black chrome is the way to go.
I think your wrong on the techart 3 wing. Lucent Motors said need to reset something in the computer to make this wing work. Problem is porsche tech in honolulu comes to maui every blue moon. Believe me I am not challenging the law here.

Byron

Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
BusyLivin is infamous around these parts
black > chrome.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
I think your wrong on the techart 3 wing. Lucent Motors said need to reset something in the computer to make this wing work. Problem is porsche tech in honolulu comes to maui every blue moon. Believe me I am not challenging the law here.

Byron
who you gonna believe? a respected tuner or me?

seriously, 99% or the time it's a module that plugs into the wiring harness. i would be really surprised if you had to reprogram the ecu to install a wing. that would severely limit the people that could install it. get back to me when you find out for sure. i'm guessing you'll have to send me another gift as an apology when you find out i'm right

Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Ok deal deputy. Airling can you give your input please because I am not going to prison for the info you gave me....lol

Byron

Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Check this site out for another tip coating option. This outfit is located in Washington state, but I'm sure others are able to provide this type of coating.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 AM
helothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura about
blacked out would look good!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 AM
ChromeHearts is infamous around these parts
hmmm anyone do black chrome and want to share pics with us?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by ChromeHearts
hmmm anyone do black chrome and want to share pics with us?
i'll be doing it shortly.

i'll post pics when it's done.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i'll be doing it shortly.

i'll post pics when it's done.
Deputy here's the quote from Lucent Motors regarding the wing:

there's a problem. in order to install the wing properly u need the tester to disable the automatic wing. if u don't everytime u go above 75mph the annoying light will come on. when will ur dealer get the computer? haha...

thanks,

arling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I powdercoat my tips black?