997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My Turbo is leaking coolant!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
335_II is infamous around these parts
My Turbo is leaking coolant!

So a few days ago i noticed some white stuff on the floor of my garage. It was located in the right hand front end of the car and i didnt think too much about it. Well today i pulled it out of the garage and noticed ALOT of pink fluid all over the floor in the same spot!

I immediatley opened the engine compartment and found my coolant to be below minimum. This really upsets me being this car is only six months old and doesnt even have 1,000 miles.

Its getting towed in tommorow morning but the dealer is also changing my older steel style tips to the newer style chrome tips

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Its upsetting me you have 1000m and the cars 6 months old already! The car is crying 'drive me more please' in coolant.

On a serious note...straight to the dealer with that one! I would not waste my time searching for the cause.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
Dont sweat it. You are under FULL warranty and should be fine. Be thankfull that you saw it and did not drive the thing and overheat it.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully it's a hose, clamp or reservoir issue, nothing major.

Drive more.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned
blakshukvw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Hopefully it's a hose, clamp or reservoir issue, nothing major.

Drive more.
That would be a radiator or hose clamp problem.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
Did you follow the recommended break in?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There are two issues that are coming up in that area. First of the cheap plastic end tanks are crimped to the core. That crimp has had some issues and leaks under pressure. The second is the neck of the plastic tank could be cracked.

The hose system is a circlip system so there are no clamps that would be loose. It is Behr that has the issue with the raditors.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
where such info available

[quote=PorschePhd]There are two issues that are coming up in that area. First of the cheap plastic end tanks are crimped to the core. That crimp has had some issues and leaks under pressure. The second is the neck of the plastic tank could be cracked.

where can you find such information "plastic tank could be cracked" etc., is this something a dealer has told you or have you seen a bulletin published about such problems???

Old 03-27-2007, 10:53 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Well, there is no offical TSB yet, but I have seen it as well as a few pals that are at the dealers. Intresting enough there is not even a tsb on the broekn welds!

The one raditor I just recrimped and that took care of it. My buggy at the dealer said new ones never used are that way!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
It's under warranty, so don't worry. nice collection of toys!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Well...I just noticed a puddle of pink fluid on the floor just behind my right rear tire...has anyone else seen this issue? I"ll check my coolant level tomorrow...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Do any of you have mods? After I got my new exhaust and ecu the coolant reservior would purge fluid now and then. It would smell strongly like coolant after each time I would push the car hard. The guys at BBI put a special cap on it for me that looks like it is on steriods. Now, no problem purging fluid. Mine never pooled on the garage floor though.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Barrister
Do any of you have mods? After I got my new exhaust and ecu the coolant reservior would purge fluid now and then. It would smell strongly like coolant after each time I would push the car hard. The guys at BBI put a special cap on it for me that looks like it is on steriods. Now, no problem purging fluid. Mine never pooled on the garage floor though.
I have never had a drop of anything under my car . I look too because I read various posts of assorted leaks which helped raise my awareness of the possibilities.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Nope...I have no engine mods...

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
[quote=johnww;1021549]
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
There are two issues that are coming up in that area. First of the cheap plastic end tanks are crimped to the core. That crimp has had some issues and leaks under pressure. The second is the neck of the plastic tank could be cracked.

where can you find such information "plastic tank could be cracked" etc., is this something a dealer has told you or have you seen a bulletin published about such problems???
The plastic overflow tanks cracking is a well known problem going back to the 996. The tanks on the 997 look virtually identicle. There were several TSBs on the 996 model. I'm sure there are some on the 997 too but you need to contact somebody like Loren at Renntech.org who has access to the TSBs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Turbo is leaking coolant!