997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Valet (Dis)Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 AM
MementoMori is on a distinguished road
Having worked as a valet in college for about a year, I can tell you that, in my company, at least, I've never seen nor personally taken a car on any type of a joyride without customer consent (I've had regulars let me take their sportscars out with them in the passenger seat, but that's a different story).

I do, however, understand your apprehension. My cars never go into the hands of a valet. The only possible way that would happen would be, if I was at a place with mandatory valet, I would slip the kid some extra $ to assure a spot in "show row" which usually equates to them moving your car 20ft and saying "Oh, the [car] in the front? That belongs to Mr. [name].

Also, so you know, many places have a statement on the back of the ticket stub stating what they are responsible for... which is usually nothing.

Taken from the tickets our company uses:

THIS CONTRACT LIMITS OUR LIABILITY - READ IT
This ticket is your only contract. Car is accepted for parking only. Although we use reasonable caution to protect the property of our customers, we assume no liability for fire, theft, or damage in any case. In no event will we assume liability for damage or injury sustained through faulty brakes or other equipment failure. All calims for adjustments must be presented before vehicle leaves area. Not responsible for articles left in car, including, but not limited to cellular phones, jewelry, money, radar detectors, stereos, or firearms. No employee has authority to increase our liability. Notice to company employees of personal property left in car poses no liability on company for loss or damage. This constitutes entire contract and acceptance of this check is acknowledgement that holder has read and agrees with conditions above.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
docjackson1 will become famous soon enough
dave-you make the exact point-why give them your 130k+ car when they are telling you that they will not be responsible for it, even if they are negligent.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 AM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
MomentoMori: Usually those disclaimers are not enforceable (at least in CA - don't know about other states).

Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I give some extra green and so far so good but California may be a lot different.

Aloha

Byron

Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 AM
vtgts300kw will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by UBoat Commander
MomentoMori: Usually those disclaimers are not enforceable (at least in CA - don't know about other states).

IN YOUR CASE U-BOAT. are they denying responsobility? therefore you are having to take legal action?

if thats the case, where are the days of maning up and taking responsebility for your/ or your employees actions. bull****

Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
^ They paid for the repairs. But there are other issues. I'd rather not talk about it on the board since we're in litigation.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
MementoMori is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by docjackson1
dave-you make the exact point-why give them your 130k+ car when they are telling you that they will not be responsible for it, even if they are negligent.
I totally agree with you. The only time I encountered a 997TT was a few months ago when one of their heirs to Anheuser Busch pulled up and wanted to park himself in show row, so we let him. His bodyguards pulled up right behind him, asked to be parked in show row, and we allowed that, too. We ended up with a Porsche parked the wrong way and two vans in show row, but each of us also had a few extra tax-free twenties in our pockets. I'm sure it costs less to buy off the valets in Missouri than it does in California or something, but it's always possible to buy them off.

The only other cars we've had where the owners refused valet were a Continental GT, a 996TT the guy claimed was 7XXwhp, an S55, whatever the Jaguar 2-door is, some guy in an NSX who was a total jerk. They usually wanted to park in our spaces, tossed us a few bucks, and we moved the cones for them.

Also, I'd say there is a big difference between the service you can expect at your favorite high-end restaurant where you eat multiple times per month and the average place where you know no valet will know your name (dining or event). If the valets greet you by name, you should feel much more comfortable. This is obviously said from my midwest experience and I have no clue how much it applies to either coast or anywhere else.

Obviously the law varies from state to state. Fortunately, I haven't encountered the issue firsthand; only heard anecdotal stuff.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Just throw a program in the car that has a valet program to prevent them from having any fun!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
They don't have valets at the fine restaurants I go to: Taco Bell, Wendy's, Baja Fresh...

You guys need to quit eating at Gil's $600/night sushi and steak joints.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
In Chitown, I always pay extra to park it myself in a spot I pick, if I know I can't do that then I take the Jeep. I always hear comments from my friends about taking the Jeep but they don't pay my bills

Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
This is the truth. I am in law school and have learned that these type of blanket disclaimers usually don't shield the issuing party from liability, and when it does it usually just shields from minor negligence. Stuff like gross negligence is hardly ever disclaimable. Tort law is all state law however so as UBoat said it varies by state. However, to my knowledge almost all states have a disclaimer scheme similar to what I just described.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 AM
BigJ997 is on a distinguished road
dude...the bev hills story SUCKS!
Personally i would get even by hiring someone to follow the valet - take his car and run it off a f'ing cliff. Maybe insurance is the way to go,...but my way seems so much more rewarding.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM
dgray996 will become famous soon enough
Never let a valet park your P-car, period. I've had damage done by valets before.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
I NEVER use a valet. But when one of the restaurants we dine at quite a bit started a service, I just parked in my usual spot (now a valet only spot) and had a little "talk' with the owner and all was well from then on.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I just take the Hybrid and even then I usually park it myself. I want to enjoy my night out, not stress about door dings, curb rash or joy rides.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet (Dis)Service