997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Valet (Dis)Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Hernando is on a distinguished road
I hate putting my car in Valet, and I only do it with places where I know the guys. Very seldomly do I leave it, and when I do, it's only when I know their parking lot is really really close by. I would rather drive around for 10 minutes, or sit patiently while someone pulls out of a spot. Furthermore, I think it's an absolute waste of money to pay some dude 20-40-50 sometimes 60 bucks to park my car upfront. I wont do it on principle, might as well pull out a gun and rob me. In Bal Harbor they have recently put in a valet out front, that charges $20 to park your car in the garage, and $40 to leave it up front, I always find a spot within 5 minutes. I think it's silly to pay that much.
Aside from all that I had a friend that worked as a valet, and he would tell me about the cars he took out "joy riding" . It's better to go around and park it yourself.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
B-Line will become famous soon enough
$20 is what it cost me to drive my car.

I know if I'm going to have to park somewhere with a valet, I got to pony up the cash, up front. I park my car, I take my keys.

I can't think of a time that a valet said no to me. But I always start the conversation with, "I'll pay you $20 bucks right now if you let me park my car right there and let me keep my keys!"

It always works. As for my X5.. It's a lease, they can park it on the moon for all I care.

B

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
I park mine where I want to and keep the keys.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
tip nicely and they usually let you keep it out front, sometimes you can even keep the key...
This for the winner...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
BuckheadPorsche is on a distinguished road
8 days after taking delivery of my Range Rover Supercharged, the valet at the Intercontinental somehow curbed all four of the just installed 22" CEC's. I didn't think that was even possible, but there was a huge event going on and they must have moved it several times. The guy took pride in peeling off the chrome. We left around 3am, and didn't notice until the next day.

It was such a pain in the *** dealing with the hotel and valet that I wound up paying for the repairs myself. Lesson Learned. Never let them park your car. I park myself up-front only.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
BrakeL8 will become famous soon enoughBrakeL8 will become famous soon enough
Friend of ours had an assclown proceed to flog his cold '94 3.6 Turbo, which he found out about after proceeding to spend a few thousand on dinner for a party of 8.

What a wonderful 'treat' after a nice evening.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
We only have one restaurant in town that valets,,the Chart House,, a nice place for Melbourne.

When we took the Cab I would give the Valet mgr $20 up front, he let me park the car myself in the front row and I never had to worry abt it while eating.

I dont think a big city restaurant would be that accomodating.

I look at it as part of the dining experience.

Cab

Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hussain
Post #9 is why you should always tip as much as necessary to park yourself and keep the keys. You pay for the prime spot, sometimes upwards of $100-$200 is even worth it cuz you want have to pay for the damage they will do to your car which will be FAR more...
I am a cheapass, and frankly, why should I pay some stranger to drive my GT2? If anything if should be them paying me to drive the car.

So, whenever we go to some foo foo place for stuff like this, I always take the beater E30. It is always funny to see the disgust that the valets have for the E30.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 AM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by B-Line
$20 is what it cost me to drive my car.

I know if I'm going to have to park somewhere with a valet, I got to pony up the cash, up front. I park my car, I take my keys.

I can't think of a time that a valet said no to me. But I always start the conversation with, "I'll pay you $20 bucks right now if you let me park my car right there and let me keep my keys!"

It always works. As for my X5.. It's a lease, they can park it on the moon for all I care.

B
I don't reward bad behaviors. I pay them the valet ticket price, and let them have my E30.

Since I drive my GT2 a few days to work, I don't miss it when I take my E30 to restaurants of iffy parking situation.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 AM
idivethesea is on a distinguished road
Thirteen straight years of driving nice cars here in AZ and not one ding. I follow these rules:

Drive, choose space and self park.

We are fortunate here in Scottsdale, we have many fine restaurants with great self parking, as a result we often pick our resturants by the quality of the self parking, If it's valet only (T-Cooks/Lon's) we dont go, or....if no other choice, drive the truck.

I will never give the porsche/bmw keys to a valet.

Last edited by idivethesea; 06-21-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 AM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
I will not go to a place that does valet parking only. That's easy, because there are none here. Nonetheless, I don't understand why you would go out and pay for an overpriced meal, then also have to pay for a service you don't want (valet), or pay so that you can park your own car! IMO, that's the most ridiculous concept ever. And the guy who posted about paying $100-200 to park your own car...you're kidding right? You have waaay too much money if that's the case.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stuka
I am a cheapass, and frankly, why should I pay some stranger to drive my GT2? If anything it should be them paying me to drive the car.
Hahahah FTFW

Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i just tell them "it's a racing clutch and you probably can't drive it." they answer "oh, that's no problem" i stand and wait for 3-4 minutes while they stall the car 3-4 times. embarassed, they let me park it.

- chuck

Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
StealthAuto997 is on a distinguished road
I agree with you 100%!!! For the past 3 years I've avoided parking in valet at all costs. I do not trust valet men, especially after an incident cost me $3,200.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM
M/A/D is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of the 2 parking attendents in Ferris Buellers Day Off (yes, I realize this dates me!!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet (Dis)Service