997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

First trip to the service department

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 AM
winternj is on a distinguished road
First trip to the service department

Car Issue 1:
At 2500 miles, my steering's power assist stopped working for a few seconds, followed by a loud screeching noise coming from the engine bay. Both corrected themselves a few seconds later. The next time I drove the car, after driving about 2 blocks, the check engine light came on (yellow), and the red exclamation point as well.

Car Issue 2:
The tire pressure started to go down on my tires, so I was going to use the Porsche compressor in the trunk. When I pulled the compressor out, in the triangle shaped hole where the compressor fits in, there was about 10ml of water there. I dried this off with a towel and then checked it again the next day after a drive -- more water.

Car Issue 3:
On the bottom of the steering wheel, there is a scratch that goes around the circumference of the wheel, it was there from the factory -- trying to get this replaced.

Service issue:
I drop off a >$140k Porsche 997 Turbo, I get a Ford Focus SE loaner ... that smells like cat **** on the inside -- and get charged $5 for it as well. Seems somewhat wrong here. When I dropped off my M3, I got an X3 loaner. When my friend dropped off his CL63, he got a C240. Not a great car from BMW/Benz, but 'reasonable'... A Focus SE is just a joke... I think in the future I'm going to try and demand a CPO V6 Cayenne or something...

Just curious if anyone's had any issues like this, and also perhaps a warning for people to check for "Car Issue #2" since it may be happening and they may not even know about it -- over time, this may cause mold to form. I live in a hot/humid environment (NYC Metro).

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Is the CEL flashing? If not then it's probably something very simple that needs to get re-set. I had one a few weeks ago and was O2 sensor related - I forget exactly but they just reset it. However, week later got another CEL (this time was flashing) and had to have it flat bedded in. Turns out the cam sensor needed to be replaced.

My dealer uses enterprise rent a car and you get anything they happen to have. Last time was an Infiniti M35? Pretty nice. I've seen other crappy cars there though as well.

When I had my E55 my MB dealer also used enterprise. They were usually not very nice cars. Not a big deal to me. I can deal with it for a day or two.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
CEL was not flashing ....

Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
My turbo squeals like a stuck pig when I wash the car or if it gets drenched in a heavy thunderstorm - just a belt getting wet and it lasts for 5-10 secs and then goes away (till the next time). no warning lights (and no water in the tire compressor area)

Who's the dealer - I'm in No. NJ and use Jack Daniels

Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Town Motor Porsche in Englewood

Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
THinthedesert is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by winternj
Car Issue 1:

Car Issue 2:
The tire pressure started to go down on my tires, so I was going to use the Porsche compressor in the trunk. When I pulled the compressor out, in the triangle shaped hole where the compressor fits in, there was about 10ml of water there. I dried this off with a towel and then checked it again the next day after a drive -- more water.
Have you determined the source of the water? A leak from rain or something else??

Old 08-10-2007, 08:13 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
My wife used to get Camrys when servicing her E55. I have gotten A6's and Cayennes from my Porsche service dept

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Ditto, I always get a Porsche or an Audi loaner.
Screeching and loss of PS sounds like the belt.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by THinthedesert
Have you determined the source of the water? A leak from rain or something else??
I think it is condensation, but it can be a rain leak too I guess...

No one else has this?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Car Issue 1:
At 2500 miles, my steering's power assist stopped working for a few seconds, followed by a loud screeching noise coming from the engine bay. Both corrected themselves a few seconds later.
Assumed to be water got on belt, nothing to be done.
The next time I drove the car, after driving about 2 blocks, the check engine light came on (yellow), and the red exclamation point as well.
Failed O2 sensor, no replacement part in stock, I'll pick up the car today and have to drop it off again next week for repair for this. I'll have CE light until then.
Car Issue 2:
"It is dry now, and we have no idea how water got there", basically it continued to "you were probably imagining it" *sigh* ... I explained that I didn't imagine it, and it's not a small amount of water, and I saw it more than once, they said I would have to show it the next time it happens ...
Car Issue 3:
On the bottom of the steering wheel, there is a scratch that goes around the circumference of the wheel, it was there from the factory -- trying to get this replaced.
Wheel being replaced now, hopefully this one is perfect

So ... Has anyone else noticed this water under the compressor ?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
AIravani is on a distinguished road
Mine squeals like a stuck pig as well, after I wash her... But goes away after it warms up or dries I assume. Not sure what is getting wet though.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=Alan]My turbo squeals like a stuck pig when I wash the car or if it gets drenched in a heavy thunderstorm - just a belt getting wet and it lasts for 5-10 secs and then goes away (till the next time). no warning lights (and no water in the tire compressor area)

I get this squealing too when I get too much water over the engine vents when I wash the car. And too power steering gets sluggish. Never notice these problems in heavy rain storms and now when I wash the car, I keep from pouring water into the engine compartment. One would think, Porsche would have that water vented away from the fan belt area....can't do fan belts any good long term.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
stealth is on a distinguished road
Also, turn off the car when washing.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
997TT HKG is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alan
My turbo squeals like a stuck pig when I wash the car or if it gets drenched in a heavy thunderstorm - just a belt getting wet and it lasts for 5-10 secs and then goes away (till the next time). no warning lights (and no water in the tire compressor area)

Who's the dealer - I'm in No. NJ and use Jack Daniels

FIXED IT AFTER CHANGED A BRAND NEW ENGINE BELT.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road
my car has been in 5 times for the same problem.If we get heavy rain the red light comes on telling me the brake pads are worn out.The garage has replaced the sensors,the dashboard,etc and after long discussions with porsche germany they have decided to replace all the cabling in the car as they reckon somewhere the cable is broken and when it gets wet its shorting out.
I am not happy ,but have had similar experiences with all the new cars I have purchased in the last few years.At least the courtesy cars have been fun (CArrera S convirtible,Boxster S etc)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First trip to the service department