997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

check engine light - catalyic converters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
rah79 is on a distinguished road
check engine light - catalyic converters

Just had my check engine light come on and I brought it to the porsche dealership and they said it was the catalyic converters on my aftermarket AWE exhaust system. Has this happened to anyone? I had the exhaust on for about a month and it just came on now.

Raj

Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
200 cel or 100 cel? Could also be the O2 censors.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by adybuncio
200 cel or 100 cel? Could also be the O2 censors.
hi flow 200 cel cats from AWE

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rah79
hi flow 200 cel cats from AWE
Call AWE.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
its got to be the early model high flow cats. mine went bad and i had to take them off and send them back to awe. they will replace them but it will be with the early model ones. do yours make a raspy sound at 4000 rpm?? I found out a few people had this issue and it was because the element in the cat came loose and would move around causing the cat to stop being as effective and let exhaust gas pass by causeing the cel. Awe has been great and replaced them, i just wish I could have gotten the new cats they are using since I think it will happen again. Talk to Mike at awe.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I would think that AWE would replace faulty cats with ones they know work (newer version) instead of the older version which may or may not be a problem. Is it a fitment issue or do you think it's just a cost issue? I thought I remember reading that AWE uses premium, high quality HJS cats.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I would think that AWE would replace faulty cats with ones they know work (newer version) instead of the older version which may or may not be a problem. Is it a fitment issue or do you think it's just a cost issue? I thought I remember reading that AWE uses premium, high quality HJS cats.
The new ones are hjs and it is because of cost. The original ones cost 995.00 and I think the new ones are around 1395-1495 so they will just keep replaing the old ones till they run out. Oh, one more thing, they only replace the cat section and reweld it.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Oh dang. this exhaust is giving you trouble again...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
Oh dang. this exhaust is giving you trouble again...
Not yet, I just got the cats back, but they are the same kind so I have no faith in thier longevity.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
The CEL went away by itself

It's not that easy replacing it cause I bought the AWE system used so not sure if I'm eligible for that warranty

I just bought the durametric cable. For now I'll just clear the light if I get it again.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
It still isnt fixed, I'l bet 1000.00 it come back on in a week or two depending on your driving. Mine did the same thing, as the element shifts around sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, at cold start is normally when it will go off. Once the exhaust bypasses again you will get another cel.. I was hoping for bad gas when that happened to me but it went off and on for 6 weeks before I had time to swap them for my oems so I could ship them out. Good luck with them though, if they can track where they were purchased they may still fix them for you.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would insist that AWE at least let you 'upgrade' to the HJS cats at a discounted price.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney
I would insist that AWE at least let you 'upgrade' to the HJS cats at a discounted price.
I agree - why replace with something that is known to cause problems.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 AM
They will let you upgrade but I wasn't willing to pay for somthing I thought should have been upgraded for free. Its not my fault the product is defective, I paid for sport cats that don't cause a cel and the price was 995.00 THEN less than a year later I have to pay 500.00 more because "THE NEW ONES" won't have a cel and the old one might?? I'm out on that. Mike at AWE has been more than awesome in repairing and getting my parts back to me supe fast but upper management calls the shots on what they are allowed to do, so if my cats go bad again I will have to have a serious conversation about getting the newer cats because I'm not going to keep paying for labor.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I can understand your frustration, trust me, but sometimes you just have to take one for the team, pony up the money so you dont spend more time under the car. Or at least have them split the difference.

AWE seems to be a standup company, you'd think they would have a customer service solution in place for the cat issues if this is common?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine light - catalyic converters