997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stuck in third gear!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Fast997S is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Stuck in third gear!

Hello,
I have a 2005 Carrera S Cab. I never abuse it in any way, but I was entering a freeway in third, wanting to shift into fourth, and my shifter felt like the linkage became completely disconnected. It would not move left or right, only up and down, but would not shift gears. It didn't make any unusual noises and gave no warning, although the day before I had trouble going into second gear. Porsche sent out a tow truck to bring it to the dealer today. I have had every generation Porsche for the last 30 years and have never had a break down. Broke my heart to see it leave on a tow truck . I'l be waiting in the driveway for it to come back. By far the best Porsche I'v had yet. Anyone ever had this problem?

-Ernie

Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about the trans...hopefully it's nothing major but if in fact it's the trans they'll probably replace it with a brand new one .

Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Fast997S is on a distinguished road
Well its still under warranty, so we will see what happens...

Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Same thing just happened to me last night. Stuck in 1st tho! Towed my car to dealer this morning. Service Rep said its from shifting to aggressively? Will be fixed under warranty, so its no biggie, plus they (P of BH) gave me a '08 Cayenne to drive! Sweet!

What did your Rep say was the cause? What was the fix?

Last edited by surfingbuddhist; 02-21-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
invids is on a distinguished road
hopefully the problem isn't persistent and the dealership takes care of it

Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
stuck in 4th

Hi - just had this happen tonight (stuck in 4th) up/down movement only - currently on a flatbed to dealer - what was your resolution?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
bikerdude is on a distinguished road
Happened to my old 05 C2S too...Broken cable.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
up/down movement and if it has alot of play and moves loosely its the shifter linkage.

..it could also be the clips on the shifter cables

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
aintpatricksday is on a distinguished road
Happened to me 6 months ago - broken shifter cable, pretty minor. Fixed under warranty.
PB

Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
The gearstick is attached to the transmission on these cars by two cables, one that moves in response to left-right movement of the gearstick, the other to forward-backward. It's not uncommon for these cables to detach themselves from the levers on the side of the transmission and this will give you the symptoms you describe.

The solution requires replacement of the cables by the dealer (if they just reconnect a worn cable to the transmission, it will likely detach itself again so insist the cables are replaced). It's not a difficult job but some dis-assembly of the undertrays around the transmission is required as is dis-assembly of the center-console area.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
yep - mine was a broken shift cable ...under warranty ...all is good

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This happened to me on GA-400, one of the hairiest high-speed traffic highways in Atlanta, during rush hour. I was in the far left lane at 80mph when it happened, and I had to coast 4 lanes over to get to the shoulder. Barely made it.

It was a broken shift cable. Dealer said it was from "shifting too aggressively", to which I reminded him "its a frickin' Porsche, I am supposed to shift slowly?". It was fixed in about an hour under warrantee.

Seems many have had this issue, surprised there hasn't been a service notice.
CATTMAN

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned
braincuttermd is on a distinguished road
Exact same thing happened to me three days ago. Unfortunately, I am 4 months out of warranty. It's $200 for the cable and 2 hrs labor at the local Porsche shop (not dealership). Grand total, I'll know when I pick her up tomorrow!

Too aggressive shifting? Hmmm....how else to drive a Porsche?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^I'd use the opportunity to upgrade to the Short Shifter if you don't have it already.

J

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 AM
stephen k is on a distinguished road
It does sound like a possible broken shifter cable.. I installed my Porsche short shifters in both my Cayman and my 911s cab and I can't believe they are using Plastic threads where the shifter and the cables meet. It looks so weak..

Any preventative measures for this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stuck in third gear!