997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

adding navigation and Dension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
adding navigation and Dension

My car doesn't have a navigation system and I'm thinking to add it with Dension at the same time. I don't really need the NAV sys but I found really good deal in one removed from new car. I rade an amazing articles in caymanclub.com and got more exited to add it and do the installation myself .

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...duct=103&cat=5

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...oduct=99&cat=5

NAV parts wouldn't cost me more than $500 and Dension is about another $500 so I'm talking about $1000 total + having fun install it .

What you guyz think should I go for it? Would it be easy to do it by myself or not? I don't think I'll be using the NAV a lot because I use my car almost in Denver only but I'm going to use the Dension a lot so ift's going to be almost same work why not adding NAV.

Last edited by cayenne_ksa; 03-11-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The are two entirely different things, if you want the Nav then buy. The Dension works well. You can get a Dension from Bumper Plugs.

Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
B-moreBroker is on a distinguished road
If the car is not already equipped with PCM I've heard install is very involved...

Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Go for it! It will be a nice project for you to kill time with, and end up with upgrades on the car!

The Dension works nicely. I use it for its USB hard drive feature and keep my ipod at home or with me at the gym.

The Nav is a pain in the *** to use, but convenient if you ever get lost. I added mine after the fact as well, and really don't use it as much as I thought I would. Garmin , TomTom, Lexus OEM touch screen navs are much better.

I really like my Tooki. Probably one of the best new upgrades I got. I hear that mobridge is offering a Bluetooth phone and Ipod module all-in-one product. You may want to wait for that too.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Go for it! It will be a nice project for you to kill time with, and end up with upgrades on the car!

The Dension works nicely. I use it for its USB hard drive feature and keep my ipod at home or with me at the gym.

The Nav is a pain in the *** to use, but convenient if you ever get lost. I added mine after the fact as well, and really don't use it as much as I thought I would. Garmin , TomTom, Lexus OEM touch screen navs are much better.

I really like my Tooki. Probably one of the best new upgrades I got. I hear that mobridge is offering a Bluetooth phone and Ipod module all-in-one product. You may want to wait for that too.
+1 on the Tooki

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is on a distinguished road
If my planned purchase goes through, I man join this train and will be looking to either retrofit NAV (car has PCM), or go aftermarket. Ditto on the Bluetooth + i-Pod, once you are used to them, you cannot live without it.

What would be a good place to scavenge for a used OE NAV other than ebay?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by B-moreBroker
If the car is not already equipped with PCM I've heard install is very involved...
yeah I do have PCM in my car.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
yeah I do have PCM in my car.

Is the TOOKI just for bluetooth? where can I get it?
Yes it is for Bluetooth, talk to Eric at Bumper Plugs he can sell you the Tooki and the Dension.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I think the Nav would be a waste of time, and money, even if you're getting a good buy on it. I find it such a pain to use, I typically take my Garmin along when I need Nav, as it is easier to use and more accurate. When I look at other Porsches I might consider buying, I could care less if they have Nav, even though most S models seem to have it. To me it is the least important feature to have.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I think the Nav would be a waste of time, and money, even if you're getting a good buy on it. I find it such a pain to use, I typically take my Garmin along when I need Nav, as it is easier to use and more accurate. When I look at other Porsches I might consider buying, I could care less if they have Nav, even though most S models seem to have it. To me it is the least important feature to have.

add to that I haven't even needed it for past year since the time I bouth the car. I use my car mostly in denver and if I get lost phon call would do the job. It's just a feelin that you got a map shown in your PCM

Last edited by cayenne_ksa; 03-11-2008 at 03:46 PM.