997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valentine 1 Dome Light Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Valentine 1 Dome Light Hardwire Install

Disclaimer: As per previous threads, this is a simple and easy install, but, tapping into the domelight hot wires will cause the detector to turn-off and on when you open or close the doors, for example. If this bothers you, then hardwire to fuse box as per other threads.. ( I think Coochas recently posted and fuse box hard wire DIY).

A) Remove dome light console by gently popping out 2 remote buttons with a small flathead screwdriver. Two phillips head screws are revealed. Look in manual if you are unsure about this.

B) Remove the screws and gently remove console. The back end will pop off via 2 retainer plugs and sockets by gentle prying. See pic.

C) As per picture: 1) Press fit V1 black wire junction connector in front of sunroof motor, this is a perfect fit. 2) Push excess wires under front headliner, there is plenty of room. 3) Tap into dome light hot, brown wire with white stripe using a 18-22 gauge splicer/tap from Radio Shack. The one from Valentine is too big.

D) Do not use ground associated with sunroof motor, the ground will be interrupted when sunroof is operated. Use hole for dome light console fixation.

E) Run appropriate amount of phone style wire through front of console towards windshield, and button up dome light console

Last edited by unclejosh; 03-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM
JackGt3 has a spectacular aura aboutJackGt3 has a spectacular aura about
woah thnx dude

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
nr_carrera is on a distinguished road
very careful when remove the homelink switch, make sure you pry on the bottom of the switch not the switch top, if you pry on the top of the switch you switch face will come off not the whole switch.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
bchow83 is on a distinguished road
just what i'm looking for... thx!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 PM
unclejosh,

so i wired my v1 as you did, however i noted one problem when i leave the domelight on, if you lock the door, it turns the v1 on... if you leave the doors unlocked, the v1 stays off... if you turn off the domelight, the v1 stays on... not sure if you ran into the same problem, but it's really strange...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Domelight Hot Wire

Bchow83 - depending on what hot you tap into, you can get varying results, as per original disclaimer:

Disclaimer: As per previous threads, this is a simple and easy install, but, tapping into the domelight hot wires will cause the detector to turn-off and on when you open or close the doors, for example. If this bothers you, then hardwire to fuse box as per other threads....

My experience has been that turning the domelight off and on will interrupt the radar detector power.

Alternatively, you can run a hot directly from the fusebox, I think Coochas posted a nice thread on this.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by unclejosh
Bchow83 - depending on what hot you tap into, you can get varying results, as per original disclaimer:

Disclaimer: As per previous threads, this is a simple and easy install, but, tapping into the domelight hot wires will cause the detector to turn-off and on when you open or close the doors, for example. If this bothers you, then hardwire to fuse box as per other threads....

My experience has been that turning the domelight off and on will interrupt the radar detector power.

Alternatively, you can run a hot directly from the fusebox, I think Coochas posted a nice thread on this.
i must be getting different results then. radar detector doesn't turn off and on when i open the door (no matter domelight setting). that wouldn't bother me. but the strange thing is when i lock the door, the v1 turns on, which could be bad if i leave for a long time. just wondering if you got the same result.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Perhaps different hot....

Bchow83- sorry for not answering directly your Q; I did not have the same experience when locking - the detector shuts off when I lock and walk away....the only locking phenomena occurs when the interior dome lights shut off and on, the detector hot is interrupted.

Personally, I can live with the detector hot interrupt when the domelights are switched off and on BUT, I will likely get a bee in my bonnet in the future and do the hardwire from the fusebox.......

Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
ok so i figured it out and you are correct. when you lock the door the detector goes on and then after 10 seconds or whatever it turns off. i think it's a good quick way to do it. i'd rather do it this way and leave the volume off. anyways being in LA there are so many false alarms. thanks for the info though, very helpful and i recommend it, since it is very liveable.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
This looks great! Can someone clarify what to use as the ground? I wasn't sure what was meant by "Use hole for dome light console fixation."
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
ground

cmos,

make sure you get a clean ground to the body, I used the hole where the screws from the domelight plastic unit screw in.

Dont ground to sunroof motor.