997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by emilgh
Not to sound like a total n00b, but can you point us to a forum, thread, or article where this is explained? I cant' find what you're talking about...
You will have to join, well worth it!!
TSB 13/05 PCM 2.1 Navigation Update
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...hstring=&st=40

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Mpowered is infamous around these parts
ohh you have to contribute.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Mpowered
ohh you have to contribute.
Will be in Durhole in 2 weeks, will bring you an extra copy so you can save your hard earned $

Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 AM
RAF
RAF is infamous around these parts
Eddy,
Thanks for your explanation. I have a BMW M6 as well with traffic updates, however this service is a paid service. Are you describing below a free service that you have been using with the updated Nav in the US or have you been describing the way it works in Europe. Thanks in advance for your clarification.
Rgds
Raf

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Here's the way it works. On the display will appear on a backed up highway ahead of you a chain of little triangles,--which indicate that the freeway is backed up. The voice will come over the speakers and tell you to exit the freeway at it's best guess for avoiding the mess. It will route you on secondary roads to by pass the mess until it's safe to get back on the freeway. It's all very transparent to the driver,--it handles it all. Information is routed through the FM broadcasts' subchannels. All the 997s have this inherent capability from the factory, but it isn't active in the USA until now. I used it quite a bit in Europe in my 06 997S Cab as the Europeans are way ahead of us on this front. They have had this capability for over 15 years.

Dan

Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larrytrk
Will be in Durhole in 2 weeks, will bring you an extra copy so you can save your hard earned $
Sorry mate you have to come to Durhole, but a copy sounds rather interesting, can I join the hard $ savings?
Did you install it in your PCM? Are the rumors about traffic true? Is Porsche finally in the 21st century in the USA???

Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by John McLane
Sorry mate you have to come to Durhole, but a copy sounds rather interesting, can I join the hard $ savings?
Did you install it in your PCM? Are the rumors about traffic true? Is Porsche finally in the 21st century in the USA???
I was referring to the TSB, I already committed the extra discs (minus the Map DVD) to another lister, for install.
Porsche is in the 21st Century in Europe, not so here yet.
Install is very simple, feed discs, as per PCM Level, A,B,or C. 3,2 or 1 discs and add new Map DVD. As I have stated my old 05 Map DVD seemed to work when it was put in by mistake. When we put in the 08 DVD it asked if we wanted to upgrade.
I have been out of town in the Westy so I haven't had a chance to see if Traffic works, I tend to think not, so far, but it's ready for it.
Anyone who has done the install will have the software update discs to reuse. Plus a handy-dandy CD case!!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Question

I was referring to the TSB, I already committed the extra discs (minus the Map DVD) to another lister, for install.
Porsche is in the 21st Century in Europe, not so here yet.
Install is very simple, feed discs, as per PCM Level, A,B,or C. 3,2 or 1 discs and add new Map DVD. As I have stated my old 05 Map DVD seemed to work when it was put in by mistake. When we put in the 08 DVD it asked if we wanted to upgrade.
I have been out of town in the Westy so I haven't had a chance to see if Traffic works, I tend to think not, so far, but it's ready for it.
Anyone who has done the install will have the software update discs to reuse. Plus a handy-dandy CD case!!
No problem.
I wonder the legality if one group buys one set of discs, use it one at a time to do the update, not copying, just sharing like one shares a CD that you already listened.... Think about it fellas, maybe a group buy?

Last edited by John McLane; 04-13-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 AM
geoff w is infamous around these parts
Now that this nav update has been out for about half a month, has anyone in the US with the update actually gotten any of the real-time traffic overlay information to display on their nav screen? From reading this post and on other P-car forums, nobody has yet said "yes it works". I talked to my dealer service guy and he said they've done a few updates but don't know if the traffic overlay works. Any real experience whether it works or not in the US would help me decide whether to spring for the $300 update or not.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I believe a lot of people, including us, are in the same boat...
Maybe we buy the Cds together and share, would that be legal if we don't copy the CDs?
I believe the 2005 DVD still works even w/ the update, so that would not be an issue...

Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by John McLane
I believe a lot of people, including us, are in the same boat...
Maybe we buy the Cds together and share, would that be legal if we don't copy the CDs?
I believe the 2005 DVD still works even w/ the update, so that would not be an issue...
We need another person who has done the update to try their old Map data to see it it still works or if mine was just a fluke!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
We need another person who has done the update to try their old Map data to see it it still works or if mine was just a fluke!
That is true, especially considering how much the PCM and Porsche stereo in general sucks...

It is frustrating to have such a nice car, not be able to drive as it is supposed to be (red line all the way) and in those traffic hours (in Durhole is all the time, worst drivers ever) you can't even distract with a decent stereo or navigation...

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
EJC997S is infamous around these parts
I wonder if this version comes in my c2s cab...just born last week...or will I have to bargain for the update when I pick up my car in a few weeks? Have any recently new owners determined if their nav dvd was the updated version?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I would insist, I don't think that will be a problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
I was describing the operation of real time traffic updates in Europe. Others have claimed that this capability is now available in the USA with the purchase of the latest s/w release. However, no one has actually reported back to state that it really works.

Dan

Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Mpowered is infamous around these parts
the update can be installed on more than one car, yes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.