997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
dcooper is infamous around these parts
Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Someone pointed this out in another thread, but I think it deserves it's own topic, it's that good....

In TSB 32/07, it states that "Where there are TMC ("Traffic Message Channel") info available, road sections for which traffic-related delays have been reported are displayed graphically on the map".

The update does not require the telephone module of satellite radio module to work, apperently, and I found that FM-radio based TMS is what Clear Channel and others broadcast here in the US (in addition to the dedicated XM and proposed Sirius TMS channels).

So....in theory, we should ACTUALLY get real-time traffic overlays with PCM 2.1 Level B/C and the Nav update!

This is great news, and I hope this is reality! I've placed my order with my dealer! BTW, coverage areas can be seen here: http://www.realtimetraffic.net/. Click on "Coverage" and find your area on the map. These guys are somehow hooked up with Clear Channel FM radio broadcasting of RDS / TMS info. They mention a $15/year fee, but I can't understand how that can be enforced over FM broadcast.

Anyway, should be interesting, especially with our built-in "Divert" button on the PCM Nav! If you see a "red" road ahead, hit "Divert"!

Damon

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Just had Nav update installed, you can do it easily especially from 06 models on with Level B PCM.
Just feed several of the 4 the discs into the Nav drive and follow instructions in TSB from Renntech.
Waiting to see if RTT ever works. Aprox $300, get your PCA 10% off.
You also get a nice CD Case!!!!

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
oc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really nice
i am holding out for new touch screen and trying to retrofit this into my 07.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
RAF
RAF is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by larrytrk
Just had Nav update installed, you can do it easily especially from 06 models on with Level B PCM.
Just feed several of the 4 the discs into the Nav drive and follow instructions in TSB from Renntech.
Waiting to see if RTT ever works. Aprox $300, get your PCA 10% off.
You also get a nice CD Case!!!!
Hi Larry, could you please advise what you mean by level B PCM? I have a '06 997 CS, with Nav etc. Where can I get the Nav update and what differences are there? Does RTT work on your car? I also have an M6 with RTT and its brilliant. If I can retrofit on the Porsche its well worth it. Thanks in advance for your clarfication.
Raf

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Get the TSB on Renntech. It explains the software Numbers for levels A,B,C.
You probably have B, as I do. Therefore you only use 1 or 2 of the software upgrade discs (to get to level C) and the Map DVD.
You can check rennlist also under this type of thread, real time traffic, etc. I am not home now so I don't have info.
Have not used RTT yet, hope it works! No noticeable difference in Nav yet.
About $300 from dealer minus your %10 PCA. You CAN INSTALL YOURSELF.
Get the TSB, save $100+ and self install.
Call Princeton Porsche, in NJ if you can't get locally or Sunset imports in Oregon.
Interested in seeing if it works like your Bimmer!!
By the way when the tech installed the new update He accidentally put in my old 05 Map Nav, and it worked just fine, then he discovered the mistake and he put in the 08 Maps.
Good Luck

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
From TTN today! FYI
"Larry,

While we appreciate your interest, we do not supply Porsche with traffic information. Please contact your dealer for information on a traffic provider, if one exists for your vehicle.

Apologies,

Kevin Loftus
Total Traffic Network"

Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Guys,
I'm getting my car back today, according to the dealership, with this update in the nav system. Let's see if traffic works...I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
Here's the way it works. On the display will appear on a backed up highway ahead of you a chain of little triangles,--which indicate that the freeway is backed up. The voice will come over the speakers and tell you to exit the freeway at it's best guess for avoiding the mess. It will route you on secondary roads to by pass the mess until it's safe to get back on the freeway. It's all very transparent to the driver,--it handles it all. Information is routed through the FM broadcasts' subchannels. All the 997s have this inherent capability from the factory, but it isn't active in the USA until now. I used it quite a bit in Europe in my 06 997S Cab as the Europeans are way ahead of us on this front. They have had this capability for over 15 years.

Dan

Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Well, in my case the dealership had no idea what that upgrade meant or lied to me or Durhole and surroundings are not covered by traffic (not according to their website).
Well, the nav works poorly, even worse w/o traffic updates. Maybe I need to drive to some civilized place to get traffic coverage...

Old 04-12-2008, 05:06 AM
This is so new, a lot of dealers haven't even gotten info on it yet. In many instances unless we ask the for new items, they have barely heard about them. Each time I see my service guy he asks me what new thing I have come across.
Sadly, I haven't had the car for a week to test for the Traffic info, but, I will report if, where and when it works!

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-12-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM
vizman is infamous around these parts
This is a feature in my mothers vehicle that I yet to understand or be able to use. But very cool indeed.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by John McLane
Well, in my case the dealership had no idea what that upgrade meant or lied to me or Durhole and surroundings are not covered by traffic (not according to their website).
Well, the nav works poorly, even worse w/o traffic updates. Maybe I need to drive to some civilized place to get traffic coverage...
Had to look this one up.
"1. durhole 1 thumb up
endearing term for the third city in North Carolina's triangle that isn't chapel hill or raleigh. home to duke university
where should we go for dinner?
how about tyler's in downtown durhole.
sounds good, we can go to a bulls game afterwards.
i hope i don't get shot in the durhole."

See you all in Cary in about a week!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Mpowered is infamous around these parts
Had to look this one up.
"1. durhole 1 thumb up
endearing term for the third city in North Carolina's triangle that isn't chapel hill or raleigh. home to duke university
where should we go for dinner?
how about tyler's in downtown durhole.
sounds good, we can go to a bulls game afterwards.
i hope i don't get shot in the durhole."

See you all in Cary in about a week!!
i live in durhole... durhole sucks.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mpowered
i live in durhole... durhole sucks.
I got to disagree a bit. In order to suck, Durhole would actually need to get a lot better.

About the nav, I will end up buying the upgrade CDs from someone, as long as my current DVD disc keep working.
Cheers

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 PM
emilgh is infamous around these partsemilgh is infamous around these parts
Get the TSB on Renntech. It explains the software Numbers for levels A,B,C.
You probably have B, as I do. Therefore you only use 1 or 2 of the software upgrade discs (to get to level C) and the Map DVD.
You can check rennlist also under this type of thread, real time traffic, etc. I am not home now so I don't have info.
Have not used RTT yet, hope it works! No noticeable difference in Nav yet.
About $300 from dealer minus your %10 PCA. You CAN INSTALL YOURSELF.
Get the TSB, save $100+ and self install.
Call Princeton Porsche, in NJ if you can't get locally or Sunset imports in Oregon.
Interested in seeing if it works like your Bimmer!!
By the way when the tech installed the new update He accidentally put in my old 05 Map Nav, and it worked just fine, then he discovered the mistake and he put in the 08 Maps.
Good Luck
Not to sound like a total n00b, but can you point us to a forum, thread, or article where this is explained? I cant' find what you're talking about...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.