997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

pdk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
challengestrad is on a distinguished road
pdk

can some one explain in laymans terms pdk to me. I enjoy a manual car, dont mind shifting, does this mean i dont want pdk?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
OCPorsche is on a distinguished road
PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplung) is a semi-automatic transmission. You can put it in drive and drive it like a normal automatic otherwise you can change gears manually without a clutch from the steering wheel or the shift ****. It allows for ultra quick shifts without any interruption in power and from what I hear completely smooth as can be.

PS- Porsche will come out with paddle shifters next year as I hear... although who knows until they release the info

Old 06-30-2008, 12:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OCPorsche
PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplung) is a semi-automatic transmission. You can put it in drive and drive it like a normal automatic otherwise you can change gears manually without a clutch from the steering wheel or the shift ****. It allows for ultra quick shifts without any interruption in power and from what I hear completely smooth as can be.

PS- Porsche will come out with paddle shifters next year as I hear... although who knows until they release the info
So it is just like the Tiptronic (for enjoyment to drive) until the paddle shifters are available (probably a $4000 option).

Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Misha will become famous soon enoughMisha will become famous soon enough
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
So it is just like the Tiptronic (for enjoyment to drive) until the paddle shifters are available (probably a $4000 option).
No, not at all. It does not upshift on its own in manual and the shifts are so quick as to seem instant. Really can't say something like that until you drive it.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
the tiptronic is slower and u cannot switch gears that fast. u cannot compare both systems. Also the tiptronic has 5 gears, the PDK 7 gears. The PDK kicks ****. Such dual clutch transmissons are lighter, faster, more efficient and suit sportscars perfectly. It´s a big step imho. but for some it´s too perfect and kind of boring. u have to drive it imho.
Porsche thinks that appr. 80% of the 997 MK II will be sold with PDK. i think such numbers say a lot about the PDK and it`s future and success.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 06-30-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Porschedeisgn is on a distinguished road
are the tiptronic really so sluggish?

anyway have the shift times of the tip vs the pdk

would be interesting

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
OCPorsche is on a distinguished road
MK1 Carrera S Coupe 0-60 355HP (Taken from the '08 Carrera brochure)
6-speed = 4.6 sec
Tiptronic = 5.0

MK2 Carrera S Coupe 0-60 385HP
6-speed = 4.4 sec
PDK = 4.4 sec
PDK with sport chrono = 4.2 sec (launch control) friggin' awesome!

What some do not realize either is that they are completely new engines. They did not just stick in the DFI but one of the big training points was that they are completely new engines with approximately the same displacement. My general manager just got back from Europe and drove the new PDK and went through the training on the new cars and said it feels like a completely different car... especially the AWD models with the PTM. Looking forward to seeing and driving the new models!!!

Last edited by OCPorsche; 07-04-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OCPorsche
MK1 Carrera S Coupe 0-60 355HP (Taken from the '08 Carrera brochure)
6-speed = 4.6 sec
Tiptronic = 5.0

MK2 Carrera S Coupe 0-60 385HP
6-speed = 4.4 sec
PDK = 4.4 sec
PDK with sport chorno = 4.2 sec (launch control) friggin' awesome!

What some do not realize either is that they are completely new engines. They did not just stick in the DFI but one of the big training points was that they are completely new engines with approximately the same displacement. My general manager just got back from Europe and drove the new PDK and went through the training on the new cars and said it feels like a completely different car... especially the AWD models with the PTM. Looking forward to seeing and driving the new models!!!
Interesting numbers, I good driver can eclipse a few seconds or more depending on the track.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
"80% of the 997 MK II will be sold with PDK"

well, that's what PAG may want so they can get higher profits, (it's not just the $'s for the PDK, but all the other PDK features they can charge for like launch control and the multifunction PDK steering wheel ,etc) but the dealers I've spoken to expect to sell about 60:40 (manual:PDK).

Here's the problem with PDK - in the end its an automatic transmission, albeit a very competent one. To me, that spells BORING. Had a 3.2V6 with DSG- played with the paddles for a while and ended just leaving it in drive and snoozed with it.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
well, that's what PAG may want so they can get higher profits, (it's not just the $'s for the PDK, but all the other PDK features they can charge for like launch control and the multifunction PDK steering wheel ,etc) but the dealers I've spoken to expect to sell about 60:40 (manual:PDK).

Here's the problem with PDK - in the end its an automatic transmission, albeit a very competent one. To me, that spells BORING. Had a 3.2V6 with DSG- played with the paddles for a while and ended just leaving it in drive and snoozed with it.
Alan,

I agree with you, I have a Tip in my Allroad and in my Wife's Touareg, I would say that I use them about once every month or two. I would buy a manual and hope that I have enough skill to make up for the slightly slower machine!

Ed

Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
I think you can look at it as an adaptation of the Ferrari F1 but with two clutch disks.

It's clever and ingeniuos, but there are caveats!

Remember how the F1 had to mature and those who own the earlier models (Maserati included with their DuoSelect) pay a dear price for maintenance.

In theory it is clever and has value, but its reliability will have to play out in time.

There are extra electronics and hydraulics to deal with which equate to added weight and maintenance.

I see it as a possible approach towards very high performance automatic transmissions.

It may prove great but I think I'll wait for a few others to experiment with it first.

The thought of two clutch disks and alternative gears being handled by each disk is a bit daunting!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Porsche are going to offer shiftpedals for the pdk ( like the F430 ones ) as an option in mid/late 09, just when the new TT-MKII is about to be revealed.
The only good reason to pick the manual over the pdk then, will be the xtra costs and the loss of that typical "work for it" feeling, that a manual provides.
everything else the pdk does better and i am sure it will succeed over the next years, like it already does in ferraris, lamborghinis etc.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
huh?

Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Porsche are going to offer shiftpedals for the pdk ( like the F430 ones ) as an option in mid/late 09, just when the new TT-MKII is about to be revealed.
The only good reason to pick the manual over the pdk then, will be the xtra costs and the loss of that typical "work for it" feeling, that a manual provides.
everything else the pdk does better and i am sure it will succeed over the next years, like it already does in ferraris, lamborghinis etc.
This statement is rather unbelievable. You are saying that after introducing the PDK to the world's journalists, that by the time they are delivering their first cars (at least in the U.S.), there will be paddle shifters?

Where did you hear this? Nobody in the U.S. has heard such a thing (and I do think it will influence some peoples decisions on whether to go manual or PDK (but not mine).

I do believe that eventually the manual stick shift in a Porsche will be a relic. I will savor it as long as it exists.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 AM
challengestrad is on a distinguished road
you can get a 599 in manual, porsche wont turn their back on that. if the paying customer wants it, then he'll get it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pdk