997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The RED BRAKES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
cephas is on a distinguished road
The RED BRAKES

Had the 997 for few months, didn't do any hard braking at all, always driving smoothly.
On Sat night, I was cruising on 110 south going home on a one lane bridge which is pretty narrow. There is an other bridge merging into my bridge, but I have the right of way because I am going straight and a yield sign on an other bridge.
A black 80's mercedes without looking just merge into my lane (she supposed to yield or stop), and I thought it is over.
I drove into the right shoulder (at that time, she was head to head with me), and the bridge getting narrower and narrower, I thought I would hit her and the wall together.
My top was opened, so I heard my tires squeaking.....
And finally, God saved me through the red brakes......there were less than few inches between my car, her car and the wall.....
I got really scared and pissed off.....and the same time, thanks God!
The red brakes really work GREAT!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you're OK.

Yes the red brakes are really good.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM
mark911997sC is on a distinguished road
If you had the yellow brakes, probably wouldn't of been as close.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear no problems.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mark911997sC
If you had the yellow brakes, probably wouldn't of been as close.
Why would you think that?

There is really no difference at all in stopping distances between the "big red" brakes on today's 997 and the PCCB brakes. Where the PCCB offer some benefit is unsprung weight and reduced fade after many, many hard applications.

Back on topic - glad the original poster and the idiot in the Benz are both ok.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Why would you think that?

There is really no difference at all in stopping distances between the "big red" brakes on today's 997 and the PCCB brakes. Where the PCCB offer some benefit is unsprung weight and reduced fade after many, many hard applications.

Back on topic - glad the original poster and the idiot in the Benz are both ok.
+1, C&D did a comparison between the two different brakes and the a few other cars, both Porsche Brakes were miles a head of the competition in all area's.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry, I thought cephas had the "S" brakes. Gt3 brakes and pccb's have more stopping power than the regular 997s brakes right? They're bigger. I'm definately going to need brakes like that too. Pccbs are totally worth the 8k upfront but I don't know if I can justify the 13k price after. Now back on topic

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mark911997sC
...pccb's have more stopping power than the regular 997s brakes right?
Actually, that's wrong. The limiting factor in braking distances for the current 997 with or without PCCB is really the tires. It's not the brakes.

As pointed out above, the PCCB system offers less unsprung weight and reduced brake fade after several hard stops but they do not have a material impact on braking distances. Moreover, as NorthVan stated above C&D did an article in the last few months on brakes. In that article they could not induce brake fade on either the standard Big Red brakes or the PCCB and there was no real measurable difference in braking ability between the two.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Actually, that's wrong. The limiting factor in braking distances for the current 997 with or without PCCB is really the tires. It's not the brakes.

As pointed out above, the PCCB system offers less unsprung weight and reduced brake fade after several hard stops but they do not have a material impact on braking distances. Moreover, as NorthVan stated above C&D did an article in the last few months on brakes. In that article they could not induce brake fade on either the standard Big Red brakes or the PCCB and there was no real measurable difference in braking ability between the two.
Here is the Web Version, the print version has a nice chart that shows the results graphically.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-4.html

The other advantage of the PCCB is the dust, but I like seeing how much dust I make when I track my car, nice clean silver wheels are almost black at the end of a hard/fun day on the track!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
So the standard 997 brakes are basically the same as 997 gt3 brakes and pccbs? (minus the weight on the pccbs). I think we're talking about different brakes. The standard red 997s brakes look smaller than 997 gt3 big reds. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've always thought the 997 gt3 came with better brakes than the 997. I know the gt3 and the pccbs are the same kit, only with ceramic rotors and different paint on the calipers. When I said the yellows would stop better I was refering to the smaller 997 brakes.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
GT3 Brakes are 355mm or 14 inch rotors with 6 piston caliper, the 997S reds are 330mm or 13 inch with 4 piston calipers.

I don't know what the PCCB's are in size, put they are smaller on the S then the GT3 or Turbo version.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Im pretty sure its the same 6 piston caliper for PCCB just in a different color.