997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I looked at used listings for my area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I looked at used listings for my area

I have fun watching the used market for these cars and I noticed that a lot of cars are beginning to pop up . Particularly 07 and 08 models with ask prices in the lower 80's (less than 4K miles) which were not as plentiful about a month ago .

My guess is that with the 09 about to come out some are switching into other cars or selling into the anticipated launch . I feel this will increase and about a month after the new car is released I feel the used 08 and 07's will be even more abundant .

I still see from the posts that the 05 and 06 models are holding strong in the 60's range for an S but feel the better negotiation might be on these low 80's 08 cars . Why pay 67K for an 06 when 77K might bring a used low mile 08 being two model years newer ? The 10 K disparity can go a long way in terms of extra warranty and resale.

With the largest hit of depreciation in the first year and the 05 and 06 holding this level I feel the used 08's are already leading the way on the used market to future bargains .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-29-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Teddy is on a distinguished road
Used C2S or GT3

I'm new to porsche ownership..owned lots of other performance cars. I've noticed the same on '08 prices. I've located a nice '08 4500 miles with the exact color/ options I'd want. They're asking 82.9, but I'm pretty sure I could get it in the 77 range. I'm also considering a used 997 GT3. If I got a good price on either, which would be easier to sell if I decided to sell in 6-12 months?? I appreciate any insight...currently I'm selling a Ford GT.
Thanks everyone

Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Teddy
I'm new to porsche ownership..owned lots of other performance cars. I've noticed the same on '08 prices. I've located a nice '08 4500 miles with the exact color/ options I'd want. They're asking 82.9, but I'm pretty sure I could get it in the 77 range. I'm also considering a used 997 GT3. If I got a good price on either, which would be easier to sell if I decided to sell in 6-12 months?? I appreciate any insight...currently I'm selling a Ford GT.
Thanks everyone

The Gt3 is a very different market . Awhile back used Gt3's were selling above MSRP to give an example . I have not looked at the current Gt3 listings . I tend to stick more towards following the street cars like the 997S and Turbo because my primary diriving needs are for street .

And yes --the deals on the 08 997s are attractive .

Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
If i was in the market for a newer Porsche I would be jumping all over the 2008 deals. I was at my dealer last week buying some extra's and they has a beautiful modded 2008 C2S for $15,000 below sticker! 100K car for 85K!

But since I was stretching to get in my C2S I decided to go with a 2005 CPO, In my mind it was like getting a 2007 from a private party, but for 10K less (2005 CPO warranty expires at the same time as a 2007 non-cpo).

Plus my 2005 looks as new and has as many miles as a most 2007 & 2008 cars!

With that said I'm already thinking about my next porsche c2s, although it will be 4-6 years out!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Taiwanese is on a distinguished road
I see the same 10k - 15k off MSRP for a brand new 08 when I was shopping for 05 or 06 two weeks ago.

Too bad all they have left are loaded 997s or I may just do it.

I will keep watching in the next few months.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Mobonic --You found an impeccable car making the price gap a good thing for you . The big difference that a newbie would face is that if an 05 and an 08 were standing side by side he would not know what you already have found out as your first weeks were trouble free . He would worry about the risk and the extra warranty might ease that a bit. As well the discounts on the 08's were not as good a month ago .

Taiwanese - On the new car lots you are correct . The cars are heavily optioned so 15K off on an already expensive car might still be expensive .

On the used car lots ... it depends on region but in my region I am seeing a lot of them listed . They were not listed at the time when Mobonic was looking at cars .

I've said all along --it's a wait if one can . About a month after the 09's arrive that's when the 05-08 models might even be more visible on used car lots .

Right now there are two big bargains -
1) the 08 cars
2) Turbo's

The used Turbo BTW will increase IMO after the 09 cars come out .Buyers will price oit the options on an 09 car and think to themselves "heck at 110K maybe I ought to buy a used Turbo" .

It's so predictable. That's my speculative opinion.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
mike2150 is on a distinguished road
Any guesses on what a low mileage, CPO'd '05 Carrera S should cost from a private owner? Think below 60k is possible now?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by mike2150
Any guesses on what a low mileage, CPO'd '05 Carrera S should cost from a private owner? Think below 60k is possible now?

If you don't get below 60 then it will be very soon . Within the first two months after the new car comes out .. I speculate mid 50's will be the going rate .

Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
HAWAI'I is an unknown quantity at this point
wow! I love this thread, I have been looking for a 997 carrera S myself, I am just waiting for the 09 to come out so I can get a better deal.

Thanks all for the info

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
paulbluemaxx is on a distinguished road
I'm seeing nicely optioned 06 C2S's going for 69K at dealers now- is this a good price? You can pick up a new 08 C2, nicely equipped, for $72-73K it seems without much trouble.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by paulbluemaxx
I'm seeing nicely optioned 06 C2S's going for 69K at dealers now- is this a good price? You can pick up a new 08 C2, nicely equipped, for $72-73K it seems without much trouble.
I think you can do better on the C2S but not by much .
Wait till the 09's come in unless you really needa car now.

Less production and higher priced cars will form a balance but shortly after the new cars come that's when a price drop on used cars usually occurs .

I think the new car will be received well . Buyers will gulp at the price with options though .

Right now -
08's are a bargain .
Turbo's (used) were a bargain but are starting to climb upward .

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 AM
The 2008's do seem to be bargains. Dealers are advertising $10K off list - do you think I could go lower on a C2 or C2S Coupe?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM
The 2008's do seem to be bargains. Dealers are advertising $10K off list - do you think I could go lower on a C2 or C2S Coupe?
If you are looking for a C2 it looks like Fastlane pointed you towards his last car. If he's still looking at it on the dealership website it ought to tell you that he was attached to it and wants to "keep it in the family" .

That might be a great deal unless your heart is set on an "S" .

The most important thing is getting the right car for you on day one . I don't know what your thoughts are on this but I had to have the "S" and then two "S" cars later I got bitten by the Turbo bug .

For the dollar I feel the C2S is the best value Porsche for street use offering more punch than the C2 but not in the 40+K more pricing of the Turbo.

There is one aspect of the Turbo however which can not be ignored . It can be modified into a high HP beast where gains can be made in enormous quantity . In fact Fastlane also is now in a 996 Turbo Cab .

In short --weigh your driving priorities oit of the gate before you buy the car.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I must admit, I'm heavily leaning towards an S - partly from advice on this board, and also because I loved how it drove. I could only test drive it for 15 minutes, and could hardly tell much of a difference between the S and the C2, but I feel I would over a few months.

Given how much of a steal I feel the 08's are at the moment it's really hard for me to ignore the S going for 80K new. However, I will stop by and see Fastlane's car. I could get a well optioned S(2006) for 70K with CPO, and that's also appealing....

Too many choices!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I must admit, I'm heavily leaning towards an S - partly from advice on this board, and also because I loved how it drove. I could only test drive it for 15 minutes, and could hardly tell much of a difference between the S and the C2, but I feel I would over a few months.

Given how much of a steal I feel the 08's are at the moment it's really hard for me to ignore the S going for 80K new. However, I will stop by and see Fastlane's car. I could get a well optioned S(2006) for 70K with CPO, and that's also appealing....

Too many choices!
The choices and pricing make it tough but fun. In your target price range it's the hardest because you'll find yourself saying "for 5K more I can have X" in an instant .

I have bought 8 Porsches and what I've learned is this --get the right car on day one . Then the rest is easy . Compromise on an option or an engine choice and every time you see it on someone elses car it will remind you of what you overlooked (or didn't factor in as important) out of being overwhemled with the new car thrill .

Little things like the Bose stereo go a long way . Not that I like the Bose but compared to the "factory system" its much better . Most important is the engine .

A 3.6 997 is still a great car but it is not a 3.8 .
Now if you can handle that -then Fastlanes car sounds like a cost efficient way to get into a Porsche .

I would want the 3.8 with a few choice options in at least one of my top three color choices.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I looked at used listings for my area