997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Braided steel brake lines? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Braided steel brake lines? Worth it?

I want to do some more minor upgrades to my 997S for the track.

What are your thoughts on replacing the stock brake lines with BRAIDED STEEL LINES?

Are the improvements worth it?

IS THIS A DIY JOB?

My mechanic wants $120 for the lines & $15 for fluids and $200 labor = $345.00 job.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Oh yeah, it is a cheap mod, and well worth it.

I did mine mid season (track) and could not believe the difference in pedal feel. On a high performance car, I think it is a must have.

I would by the best lines you can get, buy some ATE blue or similar and a Power Bleeder and change them yourself, it will probably take you about 3 hours to do the job yourself.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Northvan,

Thanks for the input.

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST LINES FOR OUR 997S?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you go to R Compound tires and race style brake pads like Performance Friction PF97 or Pagid RS29 Yellows and use either Motul 600 or Castrol SRF...STAY AWAY form that Super Blue stuff...total junk, sorry Van can agree wit ya here on fluid...you will feel a difference under very hard braking. Some claim it to be a big difference and some not so much.

If you stay on street tires and pads then the steel lines are a waste of money.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with both you guys. I only use SRF. I also say that there is a substantial difference in feel from the stainless lines. I have Brembo big brakes on the front, and the stock S brakes on the rear still. The Brembo kit came with stainless lines. But I had a spongy pedal still. Synergy Racing suggested their stainless kit for the rear brakes, because the system now flows so much fluid that it could possibly be all boiling the weaker lines out and causing a bad pedal. So, I spent a few hundred dollars on those lines (and it's totally not a big deal... the SRF will be the most expensive thing... even labor). It totally fixed my problem. I'm all for some stainless brake lines.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
If you go to R Compound tires and race style brake pads like Performance Friction PF97 or Pagid RS29 Yellows and use either Motul 600 or Castrol SRF...STAY AWAY form that Super Blue stuff...total junk, sorry Van can agree wit ya here on fluid...you will feel a difference under very hard braking. Some claim it to be a big difference and some not so much.

If you stay on street tires and pads then the steel lines are a waste of money.
What's wrong with the ATE Blue? I haven't had any issues with it.

I run stock brakes and MPSC, and noticed a huge improvement on pedal fee when I added the steel lines. I don't think it is a waste of money on a performance car like a 997. I think the brand that I have is Goodrich, but not certain.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
What's wrong with the ATE Blue? I haven't had any issues with it.

I run stock brakes and MPSC, and noticed a huge improvement on pedal fee when I added the steel lines. I don't think it is a waste of money on a performance car like a 997. I think the brand that I have is Goodrich, but not certain.
For almost the same price you can get Motul600. Blue has a lower boling point and that dang blue dye stains the resivior. There is just better fluid out there.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I am not concerned with a little blue stain, I will see if I can find the Motul next time I need more fluid.

Blue is still better then most fluids available.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Stainless lines are a great upgrade for a track car, and will help to firm up the pedal as they do not flex under pressure like the stock rubber lines. With that being said, they are also difficult to inspect due to the stainless covering, so as a safety issue I would plan on replacing them every 4-5 years depending on use. At $150 or so for a new set, and about an extra hour of your time when you are flushing the brake fluid, it is good insurance.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Stainless lines are a great upgrade for a track car, and will help to firm up the pedal as they do not flex under pressure like the stock rubber lines. With that being said, they are also difficult to inspect due to the stainless covering, so as a safety issue I would plan on replacing them every 4-5 years depending on use. At $150 or so for a new set, and about an extra hour of your time when you are flushing the brake fluid, it is good insurance.
That is good advice, never thought about the fact that you can't see any leaks.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Make sure that the braided lines you get are DOT approved lines. Resist the urge to get a cheaper line even though they may look the same. DOT lines must pass specific tests and are constructed with superior products. This is not the area to skimp on.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Registered PM
kheimlich is an unknown quantity at this point
Any recommendations on Line Brands?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Stainless lines are a great upgrade on any and every car. Not only do they make for more positive pedal feel since they don't expand outward under the pressure of heavy braking, but they're also Teflon lined and don't internally swell over time, which reduces fluid flow. Ever wondered why a car with rubber lines that's been sitting a while (years) feels like the brakes are locked on... it's because the rubber lines have swelled up internally and are effectively forcing fluid to the calipers like you're pushing on the brake pedal.

I have Speigler line kits (https://spieglerusa.com) on both my 997s since 2012 and 2013 and they're perfect. I use Motul RBF600 in all my 6 of my cars for convenience and flush it every spring using a Motive power bleeder. Drain all the reservoirs with a stainless turkey blaster, refill with new fluid, dump 6 quarts of fluid into the Motive and hit all four wheels of the 6 cars in about 2 hours. On the 997s I also bleed the clutch slave with a silicone hose and through ratchet setup that works great as you can loosen the bleed screw then tighten it without removing the ratchet from the screw, and the hose means no mess. Collection bags and hoses come from www.speedbleeders.com